Jan 3rd, '10, 23:41

Re: NEW/Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by tingjunkie » Jan 3rd, '10, 23:41

TokyoB wrote: - Used for gaoshan cha by previous owner but open to suggestions. I was thinking of using it for Wuyi yancha although puerh was also suggested (although I drink a lot of yancha but very little puerh). Thoughts?
Very nice pot. The shape, wide opening, and thickness all point to a good wuyi pot, but at 155ml, that's a lot of yancha to burn in one go. :lol: (Well, for me anyway.)

Jan 3rd, '10, 23:58
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 3rd, '10, 23:58

oldmanteapot wrote:
IPT wrote:Do you think that's wax? I saw it too, but to me it looked like a fresh surface tea stain, although I could be wrong.
Doesn't really look like a fresh surface tea stain to me. My main concern is the uneven pattern and patches of 'patina' that's on the surface. I've came across many of such teapots with a layer of 'wax' and they leave similar stains behind after you try to rub it with a wet cloth while the pot is still hot.

Cheers!
After looking at it again, I'd have to agree with you. Of course we'd have to see the pot in person to really know. None the less, it is still a nice teapot.

Jan 4th, '10, 01:10

by oldmanteapot » Jan 4th, '10, 01:10

IPT wrote:
oldmanteapot wrote:
IPT wrote:Do you think that's wax? I saw it too, but to me it looked like a fresh surface tea stain, although I could be wrong.
Doesn't really look like a fresh surface tea stain to me. My main concern is the uneven pattern and patches of 'patina' that's on the surface. I've came across many of such teapots with a layer of 'wax' and they leave similar stains behind after you try to rub it with a wet cloth while the pot is still hot.

Cheers!
After looking at it again, I'd have to agree with you. Of course we'd have to see the pot in person to really know. None the less, it is still a nice teapot.
+1 Agreed. It's a nice pot :)

Jan 4th, '10, 01:28

by Tead Off » Jan 4th, '10, 01:28

oldmanteapot wrote:

Cheers!
This is not always the case. With wax (it may be wax), you will usually see an even look to the skin. Some of it may have come off so you see an uneven skin. But, I have pots from the 80's that have uneven patina because more tea splashes on these surfaces than others over the years. One explanation cannot cover all the possibilities. This is why the owner must examine it carefully and tell us what he finds when the surface is cleaned more.

So many sharp eyes around here. Good to see the enthusiasm.

Another point about the staining of the inside of a pot with gaoshan. With good clay, the sides of the lid picks up the staining much faster and deeper than inside the pot. My pots from the 80's are dark on the side of the lids. They can be cleaned, and, maybe this pot was cleaned for resale, but, staining will not always give away the age of a pot.

With the red pot, I do think it is possible that the clay is zhuni. According to the sample pieces of clay that Houde shows on his site, hongni will not glow like that. Of course, there may be a way for skillful potters to do it. I don't know. For me, hongni was always duller but I may be wrong.

Then there is the mixing of clay, using a zhuni base. At that point, I am lost.

Jan 4th, '10, 09:01

by TokyoB » Jan 4th, '10, 09:01

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments. These acquisitions are a result of a flare-up of TAD (teaware acquisition disorder) I guess.
I think the red pot might have been slightly oiled on the exterior. I washed it with hot water and mild dish detergent. It didn't seem to change the surface much though. It appears more lustorous and harder than other teapots I have.
As for the flat teapot, I think it just has uneven staining. I rubbed it with a towel while dry and got a slightly more even shine. Hard to say if it was once waxed. I do have another recent acquisition that I do believe was waxed. I will try to see how this pot reacts to boiling water and a brisk rubbing with a towel. It appears used but not very much. There is little staining on the inside. Both pots came from friend who bought them in Taiwan. He got them from two different friends whom he has known for many years.
In the coming days and weeks I will post some more teapots.

Jan 4th, '10, 14:28
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jan 4th, '10, 14:28

Little rabbit :lol:

But I did see a few names with "little rabbit". On the website Tim mentioned earlier, there is a Little Rabbit Pan. I also saw a Little Rabbit Wu, but his style doesn't look like your rabbit.

Once I saw a chop on a kyusu with kanji name read as "little spring flower", and I guess that's a male name :lol:

Jan 4th, '10, 14:57
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 4th, '10, 14:57

TokyoB wrote: TIM - will try it out soon. What type of tea do you suggest? I drink mostly Taiwan gaoshan cha, Taiwan high roasted TGY, and Wuyi yancha. Anyone else on tea recommendations?
I think both Taiwanese light/roasted rolled oolong will be good. See if the pot highlights the floral tone better on the light oolong.

IMO- both of your pots were not waxed... so, you are safe to go.
Love the second one! Guessing your source is from Taiwan? :wink: T

Jan 4th, '10, 20:11

by TokyoB » Jan 4th, '10, 20:11

TIM,
Thanks. Yes these teapots were sourced from Taiwan. For the hexagonal pot I was also thinking of either Taiwan gaoshan cha or a roasted Taiwan TGY. I always think round pot = round teaball use (like Taiwan teas). I'm not so sure on the flat pot - what do you suggest? I'm curious to try the gaoshacha in it. Not what I would first think of. I do agree that for a traditional "stuffed-pot" approach to Wuyi this wouldn't be suitable. Lately though I've been doing longer steepings with less tea. The flat pot does seem suitable to puerh although I don't drink that often at all.

Jan 4th, '10, 21:14

by Maitre_Tea » Jan 4th, '10, 21:14

for the flatter pot I think it could do well with a roasted Bao Zhong aka Taiwan Wuyi/Shuixian. It might also do well with aged Bao Zhong also...

Jan 4th, '10, 21:16
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 4th, '10, 21:16

Just a little fun question. What period and clay is this 100 ml Yixing? And what tea is it good for? I just started to test this new baby :roll:

Close-up texture in Day light.

Clay: Pear Skin Zhuni + Hong Ni. high fired.
http://photo.blog.sina.com.cn/photo/4e9 ... ec3e61c6a1
Stamp: Mang Sheng bamboo pen hand script
Size: 100 ml
Age/Year: late 70s- Mid 80's.
Walls: Medium Thick.
Pour: +/- 12 sec. No drips. Med. tight lid fit.
Source: Hong Kong
Tea Pairing: Wuyi. Mellows the fire and brighten the youth.
Last edited by TIM on Jan 8th, '10, 15:47, edited 5 times in total.

Jan 4th, '10, 21:29
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 4th, '10, 21:29

Well.... Let's double the fun! A new acquired 140 ml.:

Larger photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65257125@N00/

Clay: Zisha mixed Gold sand. high fired.
Size: 140 ml
Age/Year: 70's.
Walls: Thick
Pour: Strong +/- 12 sec. Straight / No drips.
Source: Old Hong Kong Collector
Tea Pairing: Traditional High Fired Wuyi SX or High Mountain Taiwanese light oolong
Info: Bright shine oily surface. Very Masculine energy for a classical yixing style.
Last edited by TIM on Jan 8th, '10, 10:24, edited 2 times in total.

Jan 4th, '10, 21:37

by TokyoB » Jan 4th, '10, 21:37

TIM wrote:Image

Just a little fun question. What period and clay is this 100 ml Yixing? And what tea is it good for? I just started to test this new baby :roll:
Is this the pot that just disappeared off the HouDe website? Shape looks the same but I thought the size was larger. In any case, it's a beauty.

Jan 4th, '10, 22:18

by trent » Jan 4th, '10, 22:18

100ml: hong ni, dan cong, 90's
140ml: zini, young sheng, 80's

Jan 4th, '10, 23:11

by tingjunkie » Jan 4th, '10, 23:11

TIM wrote: Just a little fun question. What period and clay is this 100 ml Yixing? And what tea is it good for? I just started to test this new baby :roll:
I know! I know! But I'll keep quiet so the game can continue. 8)

Jan 4th, '10, 23:19

Re: A different kind of Yixing pot thread... and Show-off!

by tingjunkie » Jan 4th, '10, 23:19

[quote="tingjunkie"]Image

Clay: Hong Ni. Very high fired. Think it's likely slip-cast though.
Size: 110 ml
Age/Year: Modern- late 2000's.
Walls: Thick
Pour: +/- 7 sec. No drips. Air tight lid fit.
Source: Shop in Chinatown, NYC
Tea Pairing: Still deciding! Works well for med-high roast Wuyi, except the opening is rather small for the long leaves. Aged sheng works reasonably well too.

*UPDATE* Mystery solved. I've been playing around with some shu lately, and the pot handles it admirably. Rounding the muddy flavors and preserving the good ones. As long as the experiments continue to provide good results, I think it's as good as dedicated. :D

+ Post Reply