Jan 2nd, '11, 00:30

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by auhckw » Jan 2nd, '11, 00:30

Polished teapot? I heard Thai is famous for doing it...

Jan 2nd, '11, 10:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jan 2nd, '11, 10:09

New teapot! haven't used it yet but its probably going to roasted oolongs.
tc2.JPG
tc2.JPG (19.15 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
tc3.JPG
tc3.JPG (17.13 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
tc1.JPG
tc1.JPG (20.07 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
supposedly modern zhuni, made by a female artist (no name, no cert). I like the workmanship. good lid fit, passes all the water tests.
Clay: modern zhuni? some type of hongni. Med-high fired.
Size: 60 ml
Age/Year: Modern.
Walls: Thin
Pour: +/- 8 sec. No drips. Good lid fit.
Source: Yuanyuan tea art, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Jan 2nd, '11, 10:12

by auhckw » Jan 2nd, '11, 10:12

Congrats... Nice shape teapot. They have slightly bigger size of the same design too @ their HQ.

Jan 2nd, '11, 18:51

by Kaja2737 » Jan 2nd, '11, 18:51

I have only one yixing... here it is:
(photo was NOT taken by me)

Jan 2nd, '11, 23:03

by Tead Off » Jan 2nd, '11, 23:03

auhckw wrote:Polished teapot? I heard Thai is famous for doing it...
I see many pots like this here in Bangkok. These are not as highly polished as they can be. Duanni clay. What tea is it good for? Beats me. According to Hojo, he rates the clay poorly as far as flavor and aroma go. I wonder how Puerh and Wuyi teas would be in them? But, they may be too thin walled.

King Rama V was a Thai king in the mid-late 19th century. It became fashionable to have this kind of pot for richer Thais as the king was a big fan of polished Yixing. Many have brass or gold trimmings and handles. I have read of the possbility that the metal trims were made and fitted here in Thailand but I am not sure. Maybe someone else has better information.

I have seen royal commissioned teapots that were inscribed as so on the bottom. I don't think they all were royally commissioned but certainly they were for the wealthier class. Purple, yellow, and, beige clays are the predominant ones you see here. Some of the surfaces are like glass. They can be very beautiful and well made.

Jan 3rd, '11, 11:05

by hopeofdawn » Jan 3rd, '11, 11:05

I've only indulged in one yixing so far, but I'm very fond of it, and thought I might share ...

In the interests of full disclosure, I will have to admit that I knew very little about what would make a good yixing vs. a poor one ... but I saw this one in my local tea shop, and just fell in love. The shape, the heft, the design all seemed so well done that even though I kept telling myself I didn't need another teapot, I kept coming back to it. It took me almost six months to convince myself to buy it; and I don't regret the purchase one bit. :)

I think it was the little fish on top that really caught my eye--I've seen other designs with koi, but this one looks so happy! And has such an extravagant/elegant tail ... It might be a silly reason to like a pot, but I smile every time I see it.

And some pics of the inside and the chop ....

As to the pot details ... so far I'm still experimenting with various medium-roasted oolongs, though I tried some da hong pao in this pot and really loved the results.
Clay: absolutely no idea--maybe someone more knowledgable than I would have an idea?
Size: not sure, never measured it--it pours about two small cups of tea in a single brew, though.
Age/Year: Modern.
Walls: Medium. Very smooth outside surface, no grainy texture to speak of.
Pour: Not a perfectly smooth pour, but it doesn't drip. It passes the lid test very nicely.
Source: Xiu Xian Tea in Kent, WA

Jan 6th, '11, 10:56

by kingslam » Jan 6th, '11, 10:56

A pair of yixing teapots commissioned by the Thai King Rama V.
Attachments
ramav02.JPG
ramav02.JPG (19.24 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Last edited by kingslam on Nov 5th, '12, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 25th, '11, 18:17

by tingjunkie » Jan 25th, '11, 18:17

Those are straight up crazy Kingston! I hope I can come over soon to have some tea made with them. :D

Jan 25th, '11, 22:21

by debunix » Jan 25th, '11, 22:21

The black fish pot is simply lovely! I am often put off by the more elaborately figured pots, but this one is quite special and appealing.

Jan 26th, '11, 05:45

by anztea » Jan 26th, '11, 05:45

Help!

I was given a Yixing pot about fifteen years ago and used it only a few times---three maybe. Now that I'm really into loose teas I decided to season it and the newer one just purchased. Well I'm heartsick because after bathing the older pot---the gift---in water that had been brought to a slow near-boil, the clay is riddled with white streaks.

Is there a way to get the streaks to disappear? I should have left well enough alone. The newer pot didn't have this problem. It must be a reaction to the minerals in the water---or maybe the chlorine. Something I didn't even think about.

I feel terrible for having ruined my gift.

Jan 26th, '11, 06:55
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 26th, '11, 06:55

Can you show a photo? Bringing a pot to a slow boil should not create white streaks unless it is something already present in the clay, even if the water had chlorine in it. We'll need to see photos though to get a better idea of what happened.

Jan 26th, '11, 13:53

by wyardley » Jan 26th, '11, 13:53

anztea wrote: I was given a Yixing pot about fifteen years ago and used it only a few times---three maybe. Now that I'm really into loose teas I decided to season it and the newer one just purchased. Well I'm heartsick because after bathing the older pot---the gift---in water that had been brought to a slow near-boil, the clay is riddled with white streaks.
Could be that it had been coated with wax to give it more of a shine? Did anything come off in the water when you were boiling it? I don't think this sounds like a permanent problem. I would make sure to bring the pot up to temperature slowly, though... cracks *would* be a problem.

I would suggest some scrubbing with a stiff brush maybe?

Jan 26th, '11, 14:45

by anztea » Jan 26th, '11, 14:45

I'll return later with a photo(s) but will try the stiff brush on the underside to see what happens. Thanks.

Jan 27th, '11, 03:42

by chrl42 » Jan 27th, '11, 03:42

kingslam wrote:Image
A pair of yixing teapots commissioned by the Thai King Rama V. :D
this one's rather interesting, looks like early-ROC stuff. 貢局 one?

can't judge its originality, clay looks good nonetheless. hope that's hand-made!

Jan 30th, '11, 11:45

by anztea » Jan 30th, '11, 11:45

yixing post.jpg
yixing post.jpg (31.99 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Here is a photo of the pot and the underside of the lid for comparison.

+ Post Reply