Jan 12th, '13, 21:04

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Hannah » Jan 12th, '13, 21:04

Not 100% sure if this belongs here, but here we go!

I started the year off with a new little tea mascot/pet! A little clay tortoise which sprays water when hot water is poured over him (after soaking). Hopefully he will help me become more wise hehe :D

My cousin named him Tim the Tortoise, and the name is definitely sticking since he matches little Blue purchased from Tim!!

Jan 13th, '13, 14:01

by heliospace » Jan 13th, '13, 14:01

:)
Last edited by heliospace on Jan 27th, '13, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 13th, '13, 16:01

by bagua7 » Jan 13th, '13, 16:01

It looks zi ni to me with duan ni particles added into the body (pao sha), and probably the lid as well despite not being shown.

Jan 14th, '13, 21:23

by Exempt » Jan 14th, '13, 21:23

- Medium fired Hongni
- 60ml
- 1990's
- Medium walled
- 9 second pour
- Bought from sample tea
- Have only tried it with a few different oolongs. It worked very well with a da hong pao so I will try it with some of my wuyis from Jing teashop when they arrive.
- The mouthfeel was noticeably smoother compared to a gaiwan when I did a side by side tasting. I also felt it brought out a lot of the thickness and sweetness in deeper flavors of the tea which is why I believe it may pair well with wuyi oolongs. I noticed it retained the smell and flavor of the tea a lot more than the other teapot I've been using regularly, this could be because of the large difference in size or firing level.

P.S. Maybe this one is a little more up to your standards Marshaln ;) I look forward to hearing what you think, if you see this and have time shoot me a pm. Another tuition pot?
Attachments
sampleteayixing.JPG
sampleteayixing.JPG (41.57 KiB) Viewed 1976 times

Jan 14th, '13, 22:44

by ImmortaliTEA » Jan 14th, '13, 22:44

Exempt wrote:- Medium fired Hongni
- 60ml
- 1990's
- Medium walled
- 9 second pour
- Bought from sample tea
- Have only tried it with a few different oolongs. It worked very well with a da hong pao so I will try it with some of my wuyis from Jing teashop when they arrive.
- The mouthfeel was noticeably smoother compared to a gaiwan when I did a side by side tasting. I also felt it brought out a lot of the thickness and sweetness in deeper flavors of the tea which is why I believe it may pair well with wuyi oolongs. I noticed it retained the smell and flavor of the tea a lot more than the other teapot I've been using regularly, this could be because of the large difference in size or firing level.

P.S. Maybe this one is a little more up to your standards Marshaln ;) I look forward to hearing what you think, if you see this and have time shoot me a pm. Another tuition pot?
I have this same exact pot (if its the Mao Mei Zhen one) and it was my first Hong Ni pot from Sample Tea. I feel that this clay is some of the highest quality Hong Ni in my personal collection and definitely 100% the highest quality Hong Ni I have ever bought from an online source (or even seen from an online source) besides maybe Tim's older 40 ml Hong Ni selection. It seems to me that tiny silver flecks and accentuation/retention of aroma are signs of very high quality Hong Ni and even can signify purity of clay. I noticed that this pot has quite a few silver flecks and I can echo what Exempt says in that it accentuates and holds the aroma of any tea for a drastically longer amount of time than a good percentage of my other pots (Hong Ni or otherwise) even after rinsing it out with cold & hot water. Mine chose aged puerh as it's soul mate but I would have to agree with Exempt and say that it would suit Yan Cha very well, in fact, I would say that in my personal opinion Hong Ni of this quality is a great team player and brews any tea you throw at it with excellence. Just wait til you see how fast this pot seasons Exempt you are going to be very surprised when the whole pot is almost a different color and you have a beautiful patina in less than 2 weeks if used semi-regularly. Here is a picture I took of mine after a few weeks of using it in comparison with an unused pot of the same artisan, clay, and firing level (10 ml larger size though) and you can clearly see that the proof is in the pudding so to speak:

Jan 14th, '13, 23:01

by Exempt » Jan 14th, '13, 23:01

ImmortaliTEA wrote:
Exempt wrote:- Medium fired Hongni
- 60ml
- 1990's
- Medium walled
- 9 second pour
- Bought from sample tea

I have this same exact pot (if its the Mao Mei Zhen one) and it was my first Hong Ni pot from Sample Tea. I feel that this clay is some of the highest quality Hong Ni in my personal collection and definitely 100% the highest quality Hong Ni I have ever bought from an online source (or even seen from an online source) besides maybe Tim's older 40 ml Hong Ni selection. I've read and heard many times before that tiny silver flecks and accentuation/retention of aroma are signs of very high quality Hong Ni and even can signify purity of clay. I noticed that this pot has quite a few silver flecks and I can echo what Exempt says in that it accentuates and holds the aroma of any tea for a drastically longer amount of time than a good percentage of my other pots (Hong Ni or otherwise) even after rinsing it out with cold & hot water. Mine chose aged puerh as it's soul mate but I would have to agree with Exempt and say that it would suit Yan Cha very well, in fact, I would say that in my personal opinion Hong Ni of this quality is a great team player and brews any tea you throw at it with excellence. Just wait til you see how fast this pot seasons Exempt you are going to be very surprised when the whole pot is almost a different color and you have a beautiful patina in less than 2 weeks if used semi-regularly. Here is a picture I took of mine after a few weeks of using it in comparison with a brand new and unused pot of the same artisan, clay, and firing level (10 ml larger size though) and you can clearly see that the proof is in the pudding so to speak:
Thanks for the response. It is, in fact, the Mao Mei Zhen 60ml. Everything you said is exactly what went through my mind when I looked at the pot and after the first use. When I opened it I saw the abundance of the shiny flecks, and was surprised as there is a much smaller amount in the duanni pot I have. I initially noticed the pots ability to keep aroma and flavor after the first session. I brewed up 2.5 grams of da hong pao right after boiling the pot, before I seasoned it. The pot seemed to absorb some of the flavor this session which I figured was because I had not seasoned the pot. After about twenty brews I dumped the leaves and rinsed the pot with boiling water twice, and let it air dry. After 3 hours or so I came back and put the lid on leaving it for another hour. When I returned I still smelled the tea and realized that the pot not only holds the aroma, but you can smell the tea from the outside as well. I put water in and let it sit for a minute and got some of the sweetness back from the tea. I can't wait to see what happens after seasoning. I'll post a picture in a few weeks of use to see how it compares to your pot.

Jan 14th, '13, 23:15

by ImmortaliTEA » Jan 14th, '13, 23:15

Exempt,
That sounds great and I'm glad someone else is getting to experience the great Hong Ni (medium fired only) that they have to offer. The aroma retention amazed me as well. I can't wait to see the difference in patina between your Yan Cha and my Aged Sheng Puerh on the same clay so yes please post some more pictures when you feel the patina is significantly different than now (get your camera ready because it won't be long lol). Thanks!

Jan 24th, '13, 00:17

by heliospace » Jan 24th, '13, 00:17

A teapot I've been using for my morning black. And at 25 dollars a pop, I couldn't say no.

Jan 24th, '13, 00:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jan 24th, '13, 00:41

Took a family portrait recently. Missing a few pots in the office.

Jan 26th, '13, 13:10

by tingjunkie » Jan 26th, '13, 13:10

Guess we don't need to ask your favorite shape economist. Nice collection! :D

Here's my new favorite shape of the month...

Clay: Pin Zi Ni (Duanni Tiao Sha). Medium fired.
Size: 60 ml
Age/Year: 1990's.
Walls: Thick
Pour: +/- 4 sec. Single hole. No drips. Good lid fit. Water shoots out with force!
Source: Friend and collector.
Tea Pairing: High Fired Oolongs
Info: Given the sandiness of the pot and the medium firing, this pot preserves the higher notes of high fired oolongs surprisingly well. Mouthfeel is nicely rounded and given a weighty texture. This is a reproduction of a Qing era style of pot, which is mostly why I bought it. Love the shape! It's just so humble, rustic, and solid. Like it's saying in an old gruff voice, "I'm just here to make damn good tea, not look pretty." :D

Jan 27th, '13, 17:33

I am showing, but is it real? :-/

by heliospace » Jan 27th, '13, 17:33

Hey Forum-Friends!

I really need some help in whether or not the group thinks this is an authentic piece of Yixing ware... I would like to begin using it for large groups of people since I have guests over often. It is 390ml and I have no idea whether it is Yixing clay or not. Many of my teapots have surface silver and gold specks. This one has them, but they are so very small, almost undiscerning without taking a loupe out to examine the outer surface.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated. This one has me literally...stumped!

Jan 27th, '13, 17:45

by tingjunkie » Jan 27th, '13, 17:45

The pics are not that detailed, and the color balance of the photo seems too cold (blue), but I see no reason to think it's not Yixing clay.

Jan 27th, '13, 20:28

by bagua7 » Jan 27th, '13, 20:28

Nice pot, I also love the rustic type of pots, tjk. Is that the Japanese commissioned one?

heliospace, it looks DCQ to me, but I could be wrong.

Jan 27th, '13, 21:28

by tingjunkie » Jan 27th, '13, 21:28

No, I've never owned a real Japan export pot. This has some stylistic similarities though.

Jan 27th, '13, 22:24

by Ambrose » Jan 27th, '13, 22:24

I once had a similar pot and I miss it dearly.
80's 75-80ml perfect lid fit very fast no drip pour with the cannon spout, I used it for high fire TGY :(
Attachments
IMG_9887.JPG
IMG_9887.JPG (27.76 KiB) Viewed 1688 times

+ Post Reply