Jul 2nd, '13, 19:24

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Poohblah » Jul 2nd, '13, 19:24

Drax wrote:Don't knock yourself out... it's not the clarity of the picture, it's the style of writing. It's similar to the "grass style" of Japanese, but I'm not sure what the term is in Chinese. The difficulty is that many strokes get abbreviated into very artful swoops and swirls. And there's not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence that results.
Funny enough, "grass script" is the term in Chinese as well. Actually it's really not much of a coincidence.

Anyway, tst, don't worry about the picture; it's as clear as can be. As others have said, it's the handwriting/calligraphy that is difficult to read, just as unfamiliar cursive can seem like nothing but loops and squiggles.

Jul 3rd, '13, 00:16

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 3rd, '13, 00:16

Don't knock yourself out... it's not the clarity of the picture, it's the style of writing. It's similar to the "grass style" of Japanese, but I'm not sure what the term is in Chinese. The difficulty is that many strokes get abbreviated into very artful swoops and swirls. And there's not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence that results.
Drax,

Yes, in Mandarin it's called cao3 xie3 草寫 (grass writing) as well and is the favorite style of calligraphy for both my wife and I. True, 草寫 is meant to convey its essence by the spirit, flow, and placement of its movement and often blends its strokes together as it flows, obscuring strokes as well as the radicals in the structure of the character. I seen some wonderful calligraphy installations in Taiwan of 草寫. Complicating this is the medium on which the inscription was placed, carved with a thin edge into the still-soft surface of the pot.

Aware of all this, I am still curious though...and enjoy the challenge of unlocking the inscription. I reflect on Chinese history as well, trying to remember any poems that it may be a line from. I have various characters in mind for the piece as I look at it again with my wife. But a total translation still eludes us...great teapot though! :D

Jul 3rd, '13, 01:32

by Poohblah » Jul 3rd, '13, 01:32

it's probably a line from a Li Bo poem or something cultural like that :roll:

Jul 3rd, '13, 16:51

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 3rd, '13, 16:51

Poohblah wrote:it's probably a line from a Li Bo poem or something cultural like that :roll:
Poohblah, yeah, after looking for a while, that's the conclusion we were coming to as well. Unfortunately my Chinese poetry anthologies lack a "first lines index" to aid my search...白雲。。hmm?

Jul 3rd, '13, 17:30

by tst » Jul 3rd, '13, 17:30

I'm probably the last guy who should weigh in on the matter, but could the third character be 日 rì (sun, correct?)?

Jul 3rd, '13, 17:35

by puyuan » Jul 3rd, '13, 17:35

I doubt it, but could it be the second line from Li Bai's 白云歌送刘十六归山? It reads "白雲處處長隨君".

Edit: Just took another look. Third and fourth don't seem to match; fifth doesn't seem like 長 at all. But I'm leaving it here, who knows.

Jul 5th, '13, 00:43

by kingslam » Jul 5th, '13, 00:43

I think it's from it might have come from Tang dynasty poet Zhang Ruo Xu's (张若虚)《春江花月夜》. In the middle of his poem it reads 白云一片去悠悠,青枫浦上不胜愁。

Aug 2nd, '13, 02:26

by chrl42 » Aug 2nd, '13, 02:26

TIM wrote:Image

One of my favorite Tea Dust Color yixing, amount the early 10 color teapots (十色壺-煙村四五家-孟臣).

This color might be a replica of the famous tea dust glaze:
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/eca ... otnum.html

ps. Thanks guys for enjoying these. Adam, here is a close up:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65257125@N ... 8/sizes/o/
82 xiao-pin..could be from early-80's..size about 80cc. (if wrong, iggy me) Those days F1 had excellent clays that outdid many of today's High-level masters'.

Aug 2nd, '13, 02:28

by chrl42 » Aug 2nd, '13, 02:28

Teaism wrote:Just to share 2 Yixing pots made in 1985 in red and black. The capacity is about 90ml and single hole. The stamp below the pot is 中國宜興 (China Yixing). It is a production pot in limited quantity and quite sought after by collectors now. Currently I am using them for Puer since 2 months ago. The patina is slowly building up :D

Cheers! :D
not sure if they really are from 85,,but the mould certainly is. :)

Aug 2nd, '13, 02:32

by chrl42 » Aug 2nd, '13, 02:32

Maitre_Tea wrote:Clay: Qing Shui Ni
Size: 100 ml
Age/Year: 1990s
Walls: Medium/Medium Thick
Pour: Single hole
Source: Taiwanese Antique Dealer
Tea Pairing: Aged Oolong

So interesting thing about this pot...it's same one as offered from The Chinese Tea Shop:

http://store.thechineseteashop.com/Old_ ... 0r-021.htm

Having felt it from a friend who bought it from Daniel Liu, I told him I really wanted to find a similarly shaped pot. When I saw the pot at the antique market I thought the shape, clay, feeling, and stamp were familiar. It wasn't until I got home and double checked with the web site to find that the pots share the same origin. Luckily, I paid much less than what it's going for on the website.
wood-fired imitation of Ju Lun Zhu..it's cool to brew Hei-cha I think :)

Aug 7th, '13, 05:54

by GARCH » Aug 7th, '13, 05:54

New Yixing acquisition~ A modern, half handmade Xiao Mei Yao Zhuni Fang Gu teapot. Approximately 130ml. Rings beautifully when tapped.
Around medium wall thickness.
Some very very minor flaws in worksmanship/firing but otherwise it's good. Have not tried brewing with it yet.

Joint lines inside and outside.

That little black dot there I think is a firing defect. Looks like a very small bubble burst.

It's not a chip but I'm not sure what it is as well.

Aug 8th, '13, 16:39

by bagua7 » Aug 8th, '13, 16:39

Uh! That thing is so new, decades of brewing tea before it unleashes the beast and wisdom within. Enjoy the ride, baby. ;)

Nice pot.

Hey chrl42,

Hope you are well.

I got a question for you, di cao qing pots are normally mixed with zi ni and QSN clays right? What is the reasoning behind this? How can you tell between a pot that has been mixed with zi ni and one that has been mixed with the second type? Dark vs light colouration? How about pots made of 100% di cao qing clay? Do they exist?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 9th, '13, 03:57

by chrl42 » Aug 9th, '13, 03:57

bagua7 wrote:Uh! That thing is so new, decades of brewing tea before it unleashes the beast and wisdom within. Enjoy the ride, baby. ;)

Nice pot.

Hey chrl42,

Hope you are well.

I got a question for you, di cao qing pots are normally mixed with zi ni and QSN clays right? What is the reasoning behind this? How can you tell between a pot that has been mixed with zi ni and one that has been mixed with the second type? Dark vs light colouration? How about pots made of 100% di cao qing clay? Do they exist?

Thanks in advance.
Di Cao Qing is a pure clay, not mixed.

It's a tender, dense and heavy clay mined from the bottom of an ore..

This kind of clay has existed since Qing dynasty..masters used this type of clay for many masterpieces..

Quoting Xu Xiu-tang..Factory-1 during the CR used three types of Zini.

One is Hong Zong Ni, which is today's Qing Shui Ni..lowest grade...they used this clay to make many vases and mass produced pots

Then there's Zhong Cao Qing...kind of heavy but coarse than Di Cao Qing...they made many pots with this, too.

With Di Cao Qing, they made masterpieces or special ordered or high quality Shui Pings. Di Cao Qing is very tender and dense...excellent porosity as well. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Aug 9th, '13, 12:00

by Teaism » Aug 9th, '13, 12:00

Thanks chrl42 for the good insight of DCQ. Yes it is a pure clay and not mixed and often found at the bottom. Sometimes they can be found in the upper layer too. I saw a documented trial hole on the soil and DCQ was at the 10th layer of the 26th layers dug out in Huang Loong Shan. It is unusual but at least they found it to be a pure clay. I personally like the clay very much but the pure ones hardly come by. I am not too keen on the great masters pot for obvious reason but sometimes lucky to find the clay in the early 70 or 80s pots.

Cheers!

Aug 9th, '13, 12:31

by chrl42 » Aug 9th, '13, 12:31

Teaism wrote:Thanks chrl42 for the good insight of DCQ. Yes it is a pure clay and not mixed and often found at the bottom. Sometimes they can be found in the upper layer too. I saw a documented trial hole on the soil and DCQ was at the 10th layer of the 26th layers dug out in Huang Loong Shan. It is unusual but at least they found it to be a pure clay. I personally like the clay very much but the pure ones hardly come by. I am not too keen on the great masters pot for obvious reason but sometimes lucky to find the clay in the early 70 or 80s pots.

Cheers!
Yeah DCQ being pure I mean by 'not mixing'.

DCQ itself has a very complex clay composition..silver particle, white dots (called Ji Yan)..heavy but never to be coarse.

Mixing clay didn't exist up until late-70's (except Zhuni)..I heard potters prefer this clay due to its excellant plasticity..

+ Post Reply