Apr 5th, '16, 05:04
Vendor Member

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by jayinhk » Apr 5th, '16, 05:04

Modern zhuni Mengchen replica:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDz1_jkyCtz ... y=jayinhkg

Doesn't have that zhuni-like texture, but it makes great tea and has incised characters on the bottom. I really like the pear-shaped pots and this is a good one, but it's more like 150-200ml than the 80-120ml I was expecting! Still a great looking and performing pot, though, and I'm happy with it.

Apr 12th, '16, 20:51

by stevorama » Apr 12th, '16, 20:51

I'm curious if anyone recognizes the maker of this pot. Or might have ideas about the zini clay type, era of origin or other info.

I got this a few years back in Beijing. The workmanship and aesthetic are delightful. The clay feels great and takes on a purple hue when hot. For various reasons I didn't get much info about it. It's 145/150ml so I don't use it as much these days.
Attachments
20160412_163025_Richtone(HDR)2.jpg
20160412_163025_Richtone(HDR)2.jpg (29.64 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
20160412_163325_Richtone(HDR)2.jpg
20160412_163325_Richtone(HDR)2.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
20160412_162538_Richtone(HDR)2.jpg
20160412_162538_Richtone(HDR)2.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 6067 times
Last edited by stevorama on Apr 13th, '16, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 12th, '16, 23:58

by Tead Off » Apr 12th, '16, 23:58

stevorama wrote:I'm curious if anyone recognizes the maker of this pot. Or might have ideas about the zini clay type, era of origin or other info.

I got this a few years back in Beijing. The workmanship and aesthetic are delightful. The clay feels great and takes on a purple hue when hot. For various reasons I didn't get much info about it. The saleslady said the maker was "mid-level" when I asked about their status/level. It's 145/150ml so I don't use it as much these days.
On my monitor, aesthetics aside, the clay looks more dark reddish and I wouldn't call it zini, at least what is commonly called zini.

Apr 13th, '16, 00:13

by stevorama » Apr 13th, '16, 00:13

Tead Off wrote:
stevorama wrote:I'm curious if anyone recognizes the maker of this pot. Or might have ideas about the zini clay type, era of origin or other info.

I got this a few years back in Beijing. The workmanship and aesthetic are delightful. The clay feels great and takes on a purple hue when hot. For various reasons I didn't get much info about it. The saleslady said the maker was "mid-level" when I asked about their status/level. It's 145/150ml so I don't use it as much these days.
On my monitor, aesthetics aside, the clay looks more dark reddish and I wouldn't call it zini, at least what is commonly called zini.
It might be my camera (cellphone.) On my monitor it looks fairly accurate. In person it looks to me like brown, slightly purplish with some red. Next to a 90s hong ni pot it definitely looks brown, slightly purplish. I called it zi ni, but that's just my assumption.

From your view what is the clay type? Pin zi ni perhaps?

Apr 13th, '16, 03:31

by Tead Off » Apr 13th, '16, 03:31

stevorama wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

It might be my camera (cellphone.) On my monitor it looks fairly accurate. In person it looks to me like brown, slightly purplish with some red. Next to a 90s hong ni pot it definitely looks brown, slightly purplish. I called it zi ni, but that's just my assumption.

From your view what is the clay type? Pin zi ni perhaps?
At best, a pin zini, mixed clay.

Apr 14th, '16, 02:52

by CheekyChipmunk » Apr 14th, '16, 02:52

Hi All,

I am fairly new to the world of tea and was quick to exhibit T.A.B.! I soaked up any info I could find on the internet regarding Yixing and I was fairly quick to acquire a few moderately expensive pots ($100USD+). I have generally been satisfied with what I have purchased. Most of them have been purchased online, and I am satisfied with the provenance supplied to me by the vendors. I stumbled upon this discussion recently and binge read the entire thread (in varying degrees of detail) over the last few days and it got me a little curious....

In addition to the pots I have gotten online, I also purchased a couple of tea pots on a recent trip to Singapore, and am interested to maybe get a bit more info on them. The following info profile is of a purchase made from a tea store in Chinatown on said trip:

Clay: This is one of the things I am hoping you guys can help me with. From what I can gather, it is a type of Zini (probably Pin Zini?). The shop owner told me this was a rather unusual pot in that the clay contained recycled material of high quality clay that had been ground up after failures in the kiln firing. These are the rather large, rougher light flecks that can be seen in the photos and which give the pot a somewhat rustic or rugged feel. I am inclined to believe that the quality is decent as there are plenty of mica sparkles all over the pot.
Age: Supposedly 90's (again I could use some clarification on this)
Walls: Medium to Thick
Capacity: 200-205ml
Pour: Approx 10 seconds, my most drippy pot
Pairing: Young Sheng
Maker/Origin: I have attached pics of the chops, any help would be appreciated

Info: I quite enjoyed the experience of acquiring this pot. Where I live there are no stores which contain Yixing pots for me to look at, so I made an effort while in Singapore to try and get my hands on/see as many different pots as possible. I think I did a decent job of sorting the wheat from the chaff, and more than anything, I think the invitation of the store owner for me to drink tea with him and talk about what sort of pot I was looking for was what made me eventually purchase the pot from him. I narrowed it down to this pot, and another from another store (which i ended up buying anyway :? ), but I bought this one first and he sat down with me and brewed my first Sheng in it for me! He also treated me to his favourite teas out of his fine collection of SP's, which included a few very fine oolongs!

Overall I very much like the aesthetic of this pot, it is quite bulbous in its execution (the button and top of the handle for instance) which I think gives it a charming presence. It brews a good cup of young sheng, it seems to dull the bitterness and astringency that can be found in young sheng sometimes, and without affecting the higher notes, also seems to bring out a deep earthy flavour which I enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/140223513 ... 7062480696

Apr 27th, '16, 03:49

by Alex » Apr 27th, '16, 03:49

Clay: Modern Zhuni, High fired
Size: 130 ml at 100 grams
Age/Year: Modern - 10 years old+
Walls: Thin
Pour: +/- 8 sec. No drips. Good lid fit.
Source: Purchased from Stephane at Teamasters
Tea Pairing: OB

Pot doesn't change the profile of the tea but the heat retention over my porcelain pot produces a more flavourful very clean tasting brew. I've had a couple of modern Zhuni pots in the past that had a decent ring but this one is much higher and just sounds like its made from metal. Fit and finish is spot on. Single hole filter which for some reason has never blocked. Air tight lid fit, lovely arc to the pour. Was bought second hand and clearly it was well loved and looked after by previous owner. Can't fault it and I love its look on the tea table. Got lucky as I emailed Stephane asking if he had any other unlisted Zhuni pots. He got back to me saying he did and that this was the pick of bunch so I just snapped it up! 8)
Attachments
DSC_0561.jpg
DSC_0561.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
DSC_0552.jpg
DSC_0552.jpg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 5929 times

May 4th, '16, 09:32

by CheekyChipmunk » May 4th, '16, 09:32

Hi all,

I got a couple of pots today from store around the corner, this one I'm quite fond of even though I bought it damaged. There is a chip inside the lid and another tiny chip on the outside surface of the pot. But the clay is amongst the smoothest and glossiest I have seen.

Clay: Modern (I think) hongni or zhuni
Size: Around 130ml
Walls: Thin
Pour: +/- 8 sec. Strong pour, decent lid fit with single hole filter
Pairing: Ive only just finished boiling it but I'm thinking light roasted oolongs
Attachments
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG (38.47 KiB) Viewed 5873 times
IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG (69 KiB) Viewed 5873 times
IMG_1586.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG (22.68 KiB) Viewed 5873 times

May 13th, '16, 01:43

by bagua7 » May 13th, '16, 01:43

The second and third pic look like a Chaozhou pot, especially after you mentioned the word 'glossy.'

May 16th, '16, 06:32

by CheekyChipmunk » May 16th, '16, 06:32

bagua7 wrote:The second and third pic look like a Chaozhou pot, especially after you mentioned the word 'glossy.'
Thanks for the tip! Thankfully he pretty much chucked that pot in for nothing as I got it as part of a bundle. The other pot that I got is a larger and older pot. I bought it with mould inside and heavy tea stains from extensive use, but I thought the clay looked good and could even be decent quality. The proprietor was much less willing to move on the price of this one, but I got him down a little bit. After arriving home, i was quite saddened to realise the pour of this pot was painfully slow, a trickle at best. But after putting a needle through the air hole of the lid (it is a rather unusual execution as you will see in the pics), it happily improved considerably. I would love some feedback as to the general feel of whether this is the genuine article or not (I appreciate only so much can be done with pictures). I soaked the pot in alcohol and bleach (in that order, thanks for the tips teachatters!) and it came out quite nice. Im not sure whether it will come through in the pictures, but this clay has a real purple hue to it. Also, the construction of this pot is the finest in my collection, with the lid fit the most snug of any of my pots, and even after all of the cleaning this pot has gone through, it has retained a very nice patina.

Clay: Zini (I think),
Size: Approx 220ml
Age: My guess is it is indicating 60s-70s (whether it is genuine or not is another matter)
Walls: Medium
Pour: +/- 15sec, 7 hole filter
Pairing: sheng pu for many friends

Any thoughts appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG (59.19 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
IMG_1643.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG (47.18 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
IMG_1642.JPG
Note the air hole facing the camera that can't be covered with fingers!
IMG_1642.JPG (39.3 KiB) Viewed 5748 times

May 20th, '16, 21:55
Scrolling: fixed

by xmfi » May 20th, '16, 21:55

My first time posting on TeaChat in a while-- thought I'd share a few pots.

This one I bought from a member here a few years ago (when the teaware board went through a heini phase). Probably my favorite pot overall.

This one is not as visually impressive, but works so well with medium-roast oolongs and smells amazing. I don't have any other pots that pick up a tea's scent as quickly as this one.

This last one isn't from Yixing-- I bought it in Yingge, Taiwan a few weeks ago. But seems like it might still be of interest to people reading this thread. The two pots above are both ~100 ml; this one is smaller than that. Maybe 80 or 90 ml.

I don't know as much about this stuff as a lot of the people posting here, but this pot seems extremely well made to me.

Aug 17th, '16, 15:46

by yanom » Aug 17th, '16, 15:46

Would anyone be so kind as to help me identify two pots I bought from Taiwan a while ago. They are smallish, around 70ml.

Here's the first one:

(The seal in the lid is bothering me: I can make out a 美 at the top but don't know what's below.)
Attachments
OneC.jpg
OneC.jpg (28.35 KiB) Viewed 5133 times
OneB.jpg
OneB.jpg (36.79 KiB) Viewed 5133 times
OneA.jpg
OneA.jpg (18.95 KiB) Viewed 5133 times

Aug 17th, '16, 15:54

by yanom » Aug 17th, '16, 15:54

Here's the second one (it has fairly thin walls, or at least thin compared to the first pot's which strike me as quite thick for a pot that size):

I have no idea if that's a 6 or a 9 stamped inside the lid....

Thanks! :D
Attachments
TwoC.jpg
TwoC.jpg (24.84 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
TwoB.jpg
TwoB.jpg (38.32 KiB) Viewed 5137 times
TwoA.jpg
TwoA.jpg (17.52 KiB) Viewed 5137 times

Aug 25th, '16, 11:50

by JB-ONE » Aug 25th, '16, 11:50

Two of the same teapots around 35 or 40 ml. One is unused and the other used for less than a year.

Oct 13th, '16, 13:42

by doudou » Oct 13th, '16, 13:42

I have several "yixing" teapots but not sure how you can tell if they are really made from the real clay material or has ben dyed.

+ Post Reply