Aug 18th, '15, 15:02

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 18th, '15, 15:02

yanom wrote:I would like to show off this teapot I've just bought! And also to ask if anyone can tell me anything about it? What kind of clay it is, how old it might be.... There's a 梅 stamped inside the lid, and a seal on the bottom which I've got no idea how to decipher ... would be grateful any hints! :D
The volume is 155ml which I believe is 5.5oz.
I plan to use it for aged pu'er.
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
The clay of that pot can be called Duan ni/Duanni. The shape is called shui ping, and it's a fairly popular shape. I couldn't tell you how old it is, but looking at the cord attached to the handle and the lid, I'd say it's fairly new.

Edit: also, the multi-hole spout tells me that it could be newer.

Aug 18th, '15, 16:07

by yanom » Aug 18th, '15, 16:07

Thanks! The red string was put on new by the guy who sold it to me.
The photos make the pot look a bit yellower than it really is. Thick walls too -- it looks bigger than an Essence of Tea pot I bought a few years ago, but actually holds less water.
Elsewhere on teachat people say duan ni is good at rounding out non-amazing flavours: given that most of my everyday aged pu'er tends not to be the best-tasting, I'm hoping it'll make a good combo.
Here's a pic of the seal inside the lid (& colours showing slightly redder or less yellow than in previous photos, which is a bit more accurate):
04.jpg
04.jpg (21.35 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

Aug 18th, '15, 18:38

by tingjunkie » Aug 18th, '15, 18:38

yanom wrote: Elsewhere on teachat people say duan ni is good at rounding out non-amazing flavours: given that most of my everyday aged pu'er tends not to be the best-tasting, I'm hoping it'll make a good combo.
Careful with inexpensive aged puerh. If it just tastes flat or boring, that's one thing, but if it's moldy or very poorly stored it may be not that safe to drink at all. If a tea doesn't taste good enough to drink from a gaiwan, I wouldn't drink it at all, even though a teapot might round out some less desirable notes.

Aug 18th, '15, 21:32

by chrl42 » Aug 18th, '15, 21:32

yanom wrote:I would like to show off this teapot I've just bought! And also to ask if anyone can tell me anything about it? What kind of clay it is, how old it might be.... There's a 梅 stamped inside the lid, and a seal on the bottom which I've got no idea how to decipher ... would be grateful any hints! :D
The volume is 155ml which I believe is 5.5oz.
I plan to use it for aged pu'er.
Ding Chou (97') special seal..I have one.

There is also a 8-letter Ding Chou seal, both used quite good clays as it was the last year of Factory-1.

Aug 21st, '15, 13:09

by yanom » Aug 21st, '15, 13:09

Thanks chrl42! Does this mean that it's Factory #1? Also, do you have the same pot? Or just one with the same seal on the base?

Also what's with seals inside the lid, are they the seal of the person who actually makes the pot?

Thanks for the warning tingjunkie but I don't think there's anything actually wrong with my tea. Hope not anyway... It's just that the regular aged puer I've got doesn't taste as nice as the good stuff, some of it's a bit flat, some of it has a bit of that cockroachy flavour, and some of it, well, I can't be bothered to pay too much attention to trying to brew it perfectly. Doesn't taste unpleasant.

Sep 10th, '15, 04:34

by bagua7 » Sep 10th, '15, 04:34

kyarazen wrote:hmm.. yixing was a steep slope but it wasnt that difficult for me to scale it with some guidance.
Lucky you for living in Singapore, KL? Imagine some of us living deep in the West: Queensland - Australia, Minnesota - US or Bavaria - Germany. :lol:

What are our chances of finding a 'lost' 1915 Zhao Zhuang zhuni pot for a bargain, 0.000000001% or 0.000000002% perhaps? :mrgreen:

Wait! I think I found it here. :wink:

Let's be realistic, most of us enjoy tea with modern Yixings, which IMO brew tea as well as a pot from let's say the XIX century... unless one is super picky and looks for that ultra hidden note an antique pot may 'dig out.' Worth paying 3 or 4 grand for the extra? Not in my agenda, for sure.

Cheers! :)

Sep 10th, '15, 06:32

by AT333 » Sep 10th, '15, 06:32

I think a gaiwan is good enough and rule it all. But we all want to be seen with some cool ancient pot and pretend like grandmaster. That is what I was thinking to do but my knowledge and budget really sucks. Have to be contented with a gaiwan and stay in the newbie section. :lol: :mrgreen:

Sep 10th, '15, 11:32

by kyarazen » Sep 10th, '15, 11:32

AT333 wrote:I think a gaiwan is good enough and rule it all. But we all want to be seen with some cool ancient pot and pretend like grandmaster. That is what I was thinking to do but my knowledge and budget really sucks. Have to be contented with a gaiwan and stay in the newbie section. :lol: :mrgreen:
sounds familiar. the last person that i had heard something like this from.. was a real crouching tiger & hidden dragon 8) :D

Sep 11th, '15, 00:50

by bagua7 » Sep 11th, '15, 00:50

AT333 wrote:That is what I was thinking to do but my knowledge and budget really sucks. Have to be contented with a gaiwan and stay in the newbie section.
Don't you worry too much, the only thing you'll ever miss is the aesthetics involved when brewing tea with a Yixing pot. Gaiwan is more than enough to genuinely enjoy the 'spirit' of Chinese tea drinking. :)

Cheers!

Sep 11th, '15, 08:14

by kuánglóng » Sep 11th, '15, 08:14

I fell in love with this little 80ml pot back in Kunming around 2005 on a trip down to Xishuangbanna. I recently tried to figure out what the characters on the bottom mean, but without much success.
Could anyone please tell me what they say ?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Yxing-1-DSCF3007-sm.jpg
Yxing-1-DSCF3007-sm.jpg (105.07 KiB) Viewed 1347 times

Sep 11th, '15, 09:06

by AT333 » Sep 11th, '15, 09:06

上流清泉石 - a pebble in the upstream river :mrgreen:

Sep 11th, '15, 13:35

by kuánglóng » Sep 11th, '15, 13:35

AT333 wrote:上流清泉石 - a pebble in the upstream river :mrgreen:
Hehe, I gave up when I got 'upper class' as a translation for 上流 :mrgreen:
Anyone else?

Sep 11th, '15, 13:58

by kyarazen » Sep 11th, '15, 13:58

kuánglóng wrote:
Anyone else?

it is 清泉石上流, which means, the lush spring flows over the rocks.

Sep 11th, '15, 18:30

by kuánglóng » Sep 11th, '15, 18:30

kyarazen wrote:
kuánglóng wrote:
Anyone else?

it is 清泉石上流, which means, the lush spring flows over the rocks.
Thanks a lot kyarazen and AT333! I use it mainly for roasted tie guan yin so that makes some sense.

Sep 11th, '15, 20:21

by AT333 » Sep 11th, '15, 20:21

The sequence of words will give different meaning. Kyarazen arrangement give nicer meaning. Kowtow! :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply