Mar 26th, '13, 21:03
Vendor Member

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by TIM » Mar 26th, '13, 21:03

SilentChaos wrote:
TIM wrote:
SilentChaos wrote:
TIM wrote:you can't just look at the bottom, how about the top side of the inner wall?

Yixing are build by slabs, like a puzzle. Marks like the vertical upward strokes are for smoothing and blending the inner joins together. If the build is not by the above construction, it should not be labeled as a yixing. Just IMHO.

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-mak ... lt-teapot/
Just my personal opinion....but wouldn't that define out of existence how the majority of Yixing pots are made (with molds)? I mean...I'm happy to call those purely handmade and well made (with no mold) yixings masterpiece yixings but....
Isn't mold is still slabs build? Or wheel thrown??
Ah okay. Taken in that sense, yes then I agree. :)
Which sense were you thinking before that? Just curious.

Mar 26th, '13, 21:22

by wyardley » Mar 26th, '13, 21:22

Even with molds, there are slipcast pots (neither thrown nor slab construction), and then pots using the kind of construction I think we're talking about here - slab construction, but using a form to define the shape of the body ("half handmade"). Whether the former are considered Yixing pots or not was already the subject of a long debate.

Mar 26th, '13, 22:29

by tingjunkie » Mar 26th, '13, 22:29

Ok, I think we can all agree that circular lines on the inside could be there for reasons other than being wheel thrown, right? From what I've seen on Youtube, many traditional slab-building Yixing potters do use non-electric turntables to work on the pots. Maybe the inner circles are one technique a potter may use to finish off the inside? I sure think it looks nicer than the scrape marks of different lengths emanating out from the bottom in all directions.

Mar 26th, '13, 22:43
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 26th, '13, 22:43

If you like the brew stay longer inside the pot, the horizontal lines do help a bit. Vertical lines leading to the spout might help the flow and control the pour better? I was told some masters do care about the tiny details of their piece in a Whole.

Mar 26th, '13, 23:23

by tingjunkie » Mar 26th, '13, 23:23

Huh. I never would have given that any thought. Then again, I'm not a master potter.

We'd have to be talking about less than 1% of the pots volume getting hung up on the pot's walls, or a 1/10th of a second in pour time. This is the type of minutia that I'll take a pass on. After all, it's only a tea pot, and I can decide to start my pour 1/10th of a second sooner... oh wait, no I can't because I'm not a robot and can't differentiate in increments that small. :lol:

Mar 27th, '13, 10:45
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 27th, '13, 10:45

tingjunkie wrote:Huh. I never would have given that any thought. Then again, I'm not a master potter.

We'd have to be talking about less than 1% of the pots volume getting hung up on the pot's walls, or a 1/10th of a second in pour time. This is the type of minutia that I'll take a pass on. After all, it's only a tea pot, and I can decide to start my pour 1/10th of a second sooner... oh wait, no I can't because I'm not a robot and can't differentiate in increments that small. :lol:
Just trying to help Boss :wink:

Mar 27th, '13, 12:56

by JB-ONE » Mar 27th, '13, 12:56

I appreciate everyone's input.

Mar 27th, '13, 15:06

by futurebird » Mar 27th, '13, 15:06

Because I had to take my pots to a party I needed little travel bags for them. The silk purse is a perfect fit for this 40ml pot.

I don't know if this is duan ni or not. It has none of the issues that my other duan ni pot had with a clay smell-- This one is becoming my main brewing pot.

for scale:

Mar 27th, '13, 16:16

by edkrueger » Mar 27th, '13, 16:16

OOPS. Messed up the quote.
Last edited by edkrueger on Mar 27th, '13, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 27th, '13, 16:36

by JB-ONE » Mar 27th, '13, 16:36

edkrueger wrote:
JB-ONE wrote:
rsz_img_1112 qing.jpg
I'm just curious, can we have a look at these other yixings mentioned? :)
Well, since you asked, I'm pretty sure both are slip cast.
? ?

Mar 28th, '13, 14:43

by futurebird » Mar 28th, '13, 14:43

:D :D :D

My order from sampletea.com came today. I'm very impressed with their samples, they are carefully wrapped and include a photo what the whole bing looks like so if you want to hunt it down later you can. Also, the teacups and pots were packed with great care. I bought this teapot:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1980s- ... -cups-40ml

Some of the pots I bought before said that were 40ml, but this one is much smaller! (maybe the ebay sellers don't fill their pots to the brim when the measure them?) Still, I like it. I always wonder if I paid too much, but it's a color and size that I don't have in my collection yet and it has no issues-- the walls are thicker than I thought they would be, but this isn't such a bad thing. Small pots can be tough to keep warm.

I wonder if this other pot from them which is 5 times the price is fives times as good?

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1980s- ... eapot-40ml

I'm almost tempted to find out... like I said, they did such a good job packing everything (each item in it's own little hard plastic box or metal tin) and labeling everything... (I have perfect labels to paste in to my tea-journal, see the sample box in the photo) -- that it inspires some confidence. I like this company.

The workmanship on the more expensive pot looks finer for certain. Hmmmmmm...but is it worth it??

Now for the cups:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1970s- ... eacup-60ml

The walls of this cup were thicker than I'd hoped. But, it will get lots of use since it's a nice color and vintage. Don't know if I'd buy more at this price.

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1970s- ... eacup-30ml

This cup is very delicate and almost looks hand-painted. It's a steal at $3. perfect for tastings. (shown in the photo filled with tea)

The tea in the photo is great, by the way. An aged puerh with a very "old" taste.

Mar 28th, '13, 18:03

by tingjunkie » Mar 28th, '13, 18:03

futurebird wrote: I wonder if this other pot from them which is 5 times the price is fives times as good?

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1980s- ... eapot-40ml
Hmmmm.... more like 10-20X :lol: This is the same TIM used to sell, and it's may all-time favorite pot. I'm kind of surprised no one recognized it and jumped on it. I've been half-tempted myself.

Mar 28th, '13, 18:10

by Maitre_Tea » Mar 28th, '13, 18:10

Maybe it's just me, but in the fourth photo of that SampleTea Ben Shan Mou Ni the handle doesn't seem to be completely straight.

Mar 28th, '13, 18:12

by futurebird » Mar 28th, '13, 18:12

Maitre_Tea wrote:Maybe it's just me, but in the fourth photo of that SampleTea Ben Shan Mou Ni the handle doesn't seem to be completely straight.
It's not just you.

Mar 28th, '13, 18:12

by tingjunkie » Mar 28th, '13, 18:12

P.S. That's a really cute little tea boat! Where'd you pick that up?

+ Post Reply