Mar 21st, '12, 05:48

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Tead Off » Mar 21st, '12, 05:48

Delicately, thin white porcelain cups flaring outwards, maybe with a thin band of blue near the edge. Very elegant.

Mar 21st, '12, 09:09

by Hannah » Mar 21st, '12, 09:09

Beautiful, that sounds like it'd go nicely! Now to find where to buy one online.. haha

Mar 22nd, '12, 18:21

by MIKE_B » Mar 22nd, '12, 18:21

waltersh wrote:So I finally bit the bullet and snapped up this little Mou Lu Ni 80s yixing from MTR!

Anyone have any ideas on a little cup to pair with it?
Sweet! I am jealous. Is it bluer in person?
www.thechineseteashop.com carries a selection of cups, modern and older. I have only bought a few teas from them, I can't comment on their wares.
Have fun with that beauty!

Mar 23rd, '12, 04:32

by tingjunkie » Mar 23rd, '12, 04:32

For the MLN, high fire TGY all the way! Full on kick-you-in-the-face old man Chou Zhou style! :wink:

Mar 24th, '12, 11:28

by anna » Mar 24th, '12, 11:28

Clay: Hong Ni ? guess it's high fired but not sure...
Size: 170 ml, high : 3.14 inches.
Age/Year: Modern- late 2000's.
Walls: Thin
Pour: No drips. Good lid fit. Poors quickly and stops immediately
Tea Pairing: Jin Xuan.
Info: This teapot protects the floral fragrances and subtil flavors. I'm a beginner but I love it. The lid fits perfectly the opening, it's really hermetic and when I put the finger on the little whole on the lid, water stops pouring immediately.
Attachments
jinxuanteapot.jpg
thins walls and a little shiny (at first it wasn't so shiny when I first received it)
jinxuanteapot.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
jinxuanteapot3.jpg
sorry for my bad photo camera
jinxuanteapot3.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 2088 times
jinxuanteapot4.jpg
jin xuan in it. bought here : http://www.terredechine.com/thes-wulong-15/131-jin-xuan-taiwan.html
jinxuanteapot4.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 2088 times

Mar 24th, '12, 21:52

by MrMang » Mar 24th, '12, 21:52

Hey guys n' gals!

This is my first Yixing pot, as well as my first post on TC. I grew up drinking tea on a daily basis, so it is really nice to see others enjoy the art that is tea. While I mainly drink Persian teas daily, over time I have grown quite fond of Pu'er as well as Wuyi oolongs. As such I wanted to get a Yixing which I liked the shape, served several people while still being modest in size and would serve as my Shou pu pot.

Here is what I ended up purchasing:

"The Pumpkin Pot"

Clay- Was told it is Zini, would like a confirmation from someone more versed in this than I.
Size- Exactly 250ml
Period- Modern? Mid-Late 2000's.
Thickness- Thin-Walled
Pour- 15s +/- Quite fast for a pot this size I believe... Flow is nice however it dribbles slightly on occasion. (*see extra info)
Bought From- S.F China Town
Tea Pairing- Strictly Shou Pu! This was really a matter of preference of what tea I drink the most of currently. I had not considered the shape what-so-ever, however it does seem to brew shou nicely!
- *Extra Info*
Heat Absorption is really nice and definitely has an impact in the quality of the tea brewed (now I know why Zisha clay is highly revered for this property).
Filter is 16 holes and does a great job straining the loose leaves. However I believe the design of filter inhibits the flow of the pour in that the top holes seem to get clogged relatively quickly. Because of this I think that the flow tends to dribble slightly (really barely noticeable, but worth noting). If anyone could translate the chops for me (hopefully they are oriented correctly), I would love to know what they say. A great first Yixing that I will put through heavy use over the years.

Happy Tea brewing everyone!
Mr. M.
Last edited by MrMang on Mar 27th, '12, 16:17, edited 2 times in total.

Mar 24th, '12, 22:30

by Hannah » Mar 24th, '12, 22:30

tingjunkie wrote:For the MLN, high fire TGY all the way! Full on kick-you-in-the-face old man Chou Zhou style! :wink:
Excellent!! :D
Something like the black or roasted TGY from here maybe? http://themountainteaco.com/loosetea.html

Mar 25th, '12, 15:32

by Tobias » Mar 25th, '12, 15:32

HongNiPot1.jpg
HongNiPot1.jpg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
HongNiPot2.jpg
HongNiPot2.jpg (4.14 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
Clay: Hong Ni
Size: 90ml
Age/Year: Modern
Pour: +/- 8 sec. No drips. Good lid fit.
Filter: 7 hole
Source: Jing Tea Shop
Tea Pairing: Not decided yet, but probably light roasted Ānxī and/or Taiwanese oolongs.

Mar 25th, '12, 23:01

by Acaelus » Mar 25th, '12, 23:01

Tobias wrote:
HongNiPot1.jpg
HongNiPot2.jpg
Clay: Hong Ni
Size: 90ml
Pour: +/- 8 sec. No drips. Good lid fit.
Filter: 7 hole
Source: Jing Tea Shop
Tea Pairing: Not decided yet, but probably light roasted Ānxī and/or Taiwanese oolongs.
So you were the one that bought this factory 2 replica haha

Mar 26th, '12, 12:57

by gasninja » Mar 26th, '12, 12:57

083.JPG
083.JPG (22.51 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Clay: modern zhuni? high fired
Size: 120 ml
Walls: medium?
Pour: +/- 13 sec. No drips. Good lid fit. stops on a dime when hole is covered
Source: Purchased pu-erh.sk
Tea Pairing: IDK yet I was going to try it with fresh sheng but the slow pour makes me nervous so we will see if not maybe my wife will inherit it as a green tea pot as her duani green tea pot is a gargantuan 210mls
Any sugestions? I dont drink green oolong so that is out.

What is modern zhuni anyway?
Attachments
086.JPG
086.JPG (16.69 KiB) Viewed 1904 times

Mar 27th, '12, 07:12

by bagua7 » Mar 27th, '12, 07:12

gasninja wrote:
083.JPG
Clay: modern zhuni?
It looks more a hong ni pot to me, but hard to judge from the photo.

I wouldn't use it for green tea, that colour doesn't create a harmonious relationship with the 'greenness' of green tea. Maybe for a fine red tea? Is it thick?
gasninja wrote:What is modern zhuni anyway?
Take a look at this blog entry (enjoy the sound of zhu ni):

http://houdeasianart.com/teablog/index. ... 013-154756

A hong ni-based blend to get the closest color and texture of the original zhu ni.

Mar 29th, '12, 22:10
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » Mar 29th, '12, 22:10

Here is a teapot I got from Chang Nai-Miao Memorial Hall in Maokong, Taiwan. Every year they make 50 teapots for their anniversery. This is one from a past year that they still had a few left. The clay is imported from china, but the pots are made in taiwan. It is a bit larger than I usually like, but I thought it would be a nice souvenier of my visit as well as being a fairly unique pot to own. Here is the webpage (translated)

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 3D&act=url

Not sure what the card says, most likely - what the web page says about it.

Overall, I expect it to be utilitarian, rather than a fancy collectable. I have not yet tried it, but will pair it to begin with with the Oolong I bought from their shop at the same time. I like the wide top for that reason.

I put a few objects in the pics to give some sense of scale. The bottom picture shows it is teapot number 29 out of the 50 made.

Mar 31st, '12, 01:22

by bagua7 » Mar 31st, '12, 01:22

tingjunkie wrote:For the MLN, high fire TGY all the way!
Do you reckon a lighter coloured lu ni would yield a decent brew of high-fired TGY as well?

Ta.

Mar 31st, '12, 13:05

by tingjunkie » Mar 31st, '12, 13:05

bagua7 wrote: Do you reckon a lighter coloured lu ni would yield a decent brew of high-fired TGY as well?
I actually don't have any experience with that type of lu ni, so I'm not sure. I almost pulled the trigger on that other similar pomelo shaped lu ni pot at Jing because I was interested in learning about the lighter colored type.

Honestly, even though TIM's muo lu ni clay is fantastic quality and could handle almost any tea thrown at it, with a pot so small (50ml), it limits the type of teas the pot can be used for. Pretty much any larger leaf oolongs like yancha or dan cong are out, and most raw puerh too. Any balled oolongs which expand a lot such as green TGY or Gao Shan are pretty silly in that size pot, unless you are REALLY trying to make your stash last. That mostly leaves us with gong ting cooked puerh, or high fired balled oolongs. Using such a great pot for anything less than 20+ year old gong ting would be a waste in my opinion, so that leaves us with a perfect high fire TGY pot for chou zhou preparation. TIM's pot is fired high enough to preserve the complex top notes, but it has just enough porosity to absorb a little of the charcoal flavor from the roast. Can't lose! :wink:

Mar 31st, '12, 17:05

by apolon » Mar 31st, '12, 17:05

I have a yao bian Ben Shan Lu Ni and I use it with green TGY with very good results.

+ Post Reply