Jan 6th, '13, 10:16
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by brandon » Jan 6th, '13, 10:16

Brews 3 cups.

Jan 6th, '13, 11:35

by anna » Jan 6th, '13, 11:35

Thanks for looking

I find it very pretty Helio, love the purple clay color. I have a similar low profile one, which I pair with da hong Pao because of the leaves having the same.long and low height shape as the pot. Plus the zisha clay adapted with fermented roasted oolong.
Talking about zisha, I 've posted in another thread about a xishi pot I was offered that I'm planning to pair with raw old sheng. It's about 18ml, is from the 80's and has thicker walls than my others. I post it here again because this thread is more related to it !
20130101_130700comp.jpg
20130101_130700comp.jpg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
4comp.jpg
4comp.jpg (31.14 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
2comp.jpg
2comp.jpg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
I m very open, you can criticize or like or whatever ! As for me, I particularly like the sandy purple clay with so many different colored dots on it ..

Jan 6th, '13, 11:38

by anna » Jan 6th, '13, 11:38

More details..
zoom..jpg
zoom..jpg (40.45 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
23comp.jpg
23comp.jpg (41.78 KiB) Viewed 1996 times

Jan 6th, '13, 18:25

by tea_love » Jan 6th, '13, 18:25

anna wrote:More details..
zoom..jpg
23comp.jpg
are the black dots on the pot showing it was high fired ? Anyone can comment ?
Tks.

Jan 6th, '13, 18:56

by wyardley » Jan 6th, '13, 18:56

tea_love wrote: are the black dots on the pot showing it was high fired ? Anyone can comment ?
Larger black dots can sometimes be firing deposits (when the piece isn't enclosed in a saggar or something while being fired). In this case, they look even, and a bit smaller, so I'd guess the darker bits are just part of the material the pot is made of. Could be wrong, though.

Jan 7th, '13, 01:00

by tingjunkie » Jan 7th, '13, 01:00

Black dots can be ash deposit from wood firing (in this pot's case, nope), flecks of black sand (possibly), or flecks of iron (possibly). Not sure of the relationship with firing level. I remember reading that certain types of duan ni show black dots if fired too high maybe?

Jan 7th, '13, 01:52

by ImmortaliTEA » Jan 7th, '13, 01:52

tingjunkie wrote:Black dots can be ash deposit from wood firing (in this pot's case, nope), flecks of black sand (possibly), or flecks of iron (possibly). Not sure of the relationship with firing level. I remember reading that certain types of duan ni show black dots if fired too high maybe?
I agree with the above except that for me personally yellow Duan Ni with the black dots is the only one (yellow one) that didn't eat up too much flavor or aroma or both. Besides that only Qing Duan Ni (Greyish green with many dots as well) is of equal or better brewing overall. I hope that I didn't enjoy the worst kind of Duan Ni. Can you tell me more about where you heard that if you remember TJ because I'm thoroughly interested. (Or perhaps over firing is the only way to reduce the eraser qualities of Duan Ni haha)!

Jan 7th, '13, 02:45

by anna » Jan 7th, '13, 02:45

Thanks for your answers ! Do black dots mean it's not real zisha then or not pure?

Jan 7th, '13, 08:20

by MarshalN » Jan 7th, '13, 08:20

anna wrote:Thanks for your answers ! Do black dots mean it's not real zisha then or not pure?
Doesn't mean that at all

Jan 7th, '13, 20:41

by thanks » Jan 7th, '13, 20:41

ImmortaliTEA wrote:
the_economist wrote:Picked up this pair of pots recently, 3-4 cup size. Seller marked as heini but looks like zini to me.

No those are definitely good Hei Sha if they are the same 70 ml versions of the ones I have. Very strong rounding and thickens mouthfeel heavily. Can demolish aroma in certain instances but this is avoided through choosing a tea whose major characteristics do not include aroma (such as Ripe Puerh, very old Sheng, aged oolong, or high roasted anything) or just seasoning it heavily and in time it will erase aroma less and less and eventually start to give back to the brews and create something really flavorful & Qi filled!
I have a 40ml version of this pot in the mail. After much research, I realize that the odds of these being hei ni are basically slim to none. I have no problems with that. What I do have a problem with, is that I read manganese oxide could be hazardous, which I believe is how they color these pots to look like hei ni. Does anyone know if there really are any health hazards associated with using yixing made with manganese oxide? Also, has anyone used these pots quite a bit? Do they "kill" the aromas and/or greatly effect the flavor of the tea even after being sufficiently seasoned? I already have a pot for shu and would hate to have to eat more money due to tuition.

Jan 8th, '13, 01:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jan 8th, '13, 01:37

I don't think this is a tuition pot. Whatever clay this happens to be, my pair brews decent high roast shuixian. I wouldn't be worried.

Jan 8th, '13, 13:15

by wyardley » Jan 8th, '13, 13:15

the_economist wrote:I don't think this is a tuition pot. Whatever clay this happens to be, my pair brews decent high roast shuixian. I wouldn't be worried.
They look similar to a heixingtu pot I've got. However, I don't have enough experience to know if a) my pot is actually heixingtu, and b) if that's what this is.

Jan 8th, '13, 14:46

by ImmortaliTEA » Jan 8th, '13, 14:46

wyardley wrote:
the_economist wrote:I don't think this is a tuition pot. Whatever clay this happens to be, my pair brews decent high roast shuixian. I wouldn't be worried.
They look similar to a heixingtu pot I've got. However, I don't have enough experience to know if a) my pot is actually heixingtu, and b) if that's what this is.
I truly believe these are real Hei Ni. I bought 2 of the 70 ml versions and one 100 ml version and between those two there is different clay used. Alan Woon (proprietor of Sample Tea) says that the 40 ml and 100 ml versions are both made with base color black pure Hei Ni coming from one of the yixing factories (5 most likely). The 70 ml versions (the ones that we are currently talking about) Alan says are made with base color grey pure Hei Ni but I'm not sure if these are from the same Factory or artisan as the 40 ml and 100 ml black base color versions. I doubt they are though because the 70 ml versions have so much better craftsmanship its not even funny (not to mention the 40 & 70 have single hole and 100 has multi-hole filter). The 60 ml three legged Hei Ni shui ping I got a long time ago from Daniel of CTS is of the same exact clay as the 40 and 100 black base color versions so unless that one is fake too (entirely possible but very doubtful) I feel very good about the clay of these (plus the fact that they are from the 1980's can't hurt the chances for real Hei Ni). Also, I think Hei Xing Tu usually just looks like a darker Zi Ni but not this dark like Hei Ni. Here is an example I thought was perfect: http://www.deeho.com/details.php?page=c ... ode=sq3007. In the end they brew great tea and that's all that matters to me but I do believe they are legit!

Jan 8th, '13, 16:47

by wyardley » Jan 8th, '13, 16:47

ImmortaliTEA wrote: I truly believe these are real Hei Ni.
The pots that the_economist posted (which as I understand it, are the ones we're talking about here) are not from Sampletea.

I would think that hei xing tu would fall within the general category of hei ni, but I could be wrong.

I would also suggest caution in terms of trusting a tea or teaware vendor's description of a pot completely. That said, the hei ni pots currently listed on Sampletea look darker to me than the_economist's pots.

The heixingtu pot I have is the same as the back middle one here on bears3x's blog:
http://puerh.blogspot.com/2011/11/new-f ... mbers.html

Jan 8th, '13, 17:13

by wyardley » Jan 8th, '13, 17:13

ImmortaliTEA wrote:Also, I think Hei Xing Tu usually just looks like a darker Zi Ni but not this dark like Hei Ni.
The ones that the_economist posted are more brown than black.

+ Post Reply