Feb 24th, '14, 14:58
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by the_economist » Feb 24th, '14, 14:58

kyarazen wrote:
Chip wrote: ... when in doubt, I generally do nothing. And not receiving a decisive consensus here confirms my indecisiveness. :mrgreen:

Chip
i would think it could be better to split the post, or to delete all my posts n this subject matter :wink:

it will make the thread a lot neater, and if theres a need for me to correspond on behalf on the various collector groups that i've contacted, i'll take it to private with Have Some Tea via private messaging
I agree with Kyarazen. This pot and the subsequent discussion probably deserves a thread of its own! Of course, I think the original 'show-off' post from Have Some Tea should stay in this thread.
“A cup of tea would restore my normality.”
- Douglas Adams

Feb 24th, '14, 20:14

by Chris418 » Feb 24th, '14, 20:14

12759449855_cb6eab2f49.jpg
12759449855_cb6eab2f49.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
12759895354_e73a0f3532.jpg
12759895354_e73a0f3532.jpg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
12759451425_60e075da1c.jpg
12759451425_60e075da1c.jpg (24.17 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
Back to the topic then.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/127 ... 0f3532.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7336/127 ... 75da1c.jpg

Clay: Tiaoshan Hong Ni. Very High Fired.
Size: 100 ml Single Hole
Age/Year: Probably 90s
Walls: Thin
Pour: +/- 9 sec. No drips. Ok lid fit.
Tea Pairing: Gaoshan but mostly Da Yu Lin.
Info: Since i know about Yixing Si Ting was one of my favorite pot shape. I was looking for a high fired pot with Tony from Origin Tea which i really recommend. That was not the shape i was looking for at the begining but when he show me that pot i really fell i love.
the pot is excellent for protecting the higher floral note it keeps aromas very well intact.

any infos about the Chop?
Last edited by Chris418 on Feb 24th, '14, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 24th, '14, 20:28

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 24th, '14, 20:28

Chris418,

Very nice! I really appreciate the shape as well as the deep lid skirt. It does look like it would keep aromas well.

Blessings!

Feb 24th, '14, 21:11

by chrl42 » Feb 24th, '14, 21:11

Chris418 wrote:
Info: Since i know about Yixing Si Ting was one of my favorite pot shape. I was looking for a high fired pot with Tony from Origin Tea which i really recommend. That was not the shape i was looking for at the begining but when he show me that pot i really fell i love.
the pot is excellent for protecting the higher floral note it keeps aromas very well intact.

Dear, the chop is 中國宜興, Zhong Guo Yi Xing, meaning China Yixing. Originally state-owned Factory's chop, but on reproductions the chops don't have much meanings.

Thanks for the beautiful pot :)

Feb 24th, '14, 21:18

by Chris418 » Feb 24th, '14, 21:18

chrl42 wrote:
Chris418 wrote:

Dear, the chop is 中國宜興, Zhong Guo Yi Xing, meaning China Yixing. Originally state-owned Factory's chop, but on reproductions the chops don't have much meanings.

Thanks for the beautiful pot :)
and thanks for the traduction :)

Feb 25th, '14, 14:59

by puyuan » Feb 25th, '14, 14:59

theredbaron wrote:Thai amulets fortunately are a living and constantly evolving culture. While old amulets are faked massively and so well to a point that even experts cannot distinguish fakes from real ones in many cases, new amulets are issued constantly by both temples, monks and lay acharn.
Many collectors look with disdain at new amulets, especially the for me most interesting ones - the "mahasanae", and the more modern style of painted amulets (started about 10 years ago by Kruba Krisana), i personally find them particularly interesting.
But in this field it is also important to point out the difference between western style collecting - which is mostly on artistic merit, and Thai (and other Asian) style of collecting - where price and value mostly derives from reputation of the monk, acharn and magic propensities of the particular amulets. Prices can be quite astonishing - 100 000's of US dollars or more for tiny amulets who have perceived strong protective forces.

The only old amulets i have were given to me. What i like to collect (in the western style) are new amulets, especially "mahasanae" - which can be quite mind blowing. At times very strong sexual depictions, incorporation of human bone, roots of both making and ritual are in pre-buddhist times, and closely related to Tantrism, with similarities even to left handed Tantrism.

sorry to digress... ;)
Now, /that's/ interesting. (Sorry for the OT.)

Feb 26th, '14, 08:59

by theredbaron » Feb 26th, '14, 08:59

puyuan wrote:
theredbaron wrote: and closely related to Tantrism, with similarities even to left handed Tantrism.

sorry to digress... ;)
Now, /that's/ interesting. (Sorry for the OT.)

Some of the very high priced newly made amulets, for example, are made out of bone pieces from human skulls. Other, extremely rare and high priced, are mummified human fetuses.
There are many depictions of different female deities/spirits, both nude, some in sexual poses, often also very voluptuous. Many such "mahasanae" incorporate earth taken from graveyards. I have several amulets, for example, by a monk who lives at an old graveyard, and most of his amulets have small pieces of bone pressed into the backside of the amulets.
very fascinating, for me...

Feb 26th, '14, 09:39

by kyarazen » Feb 26th, '14, 09:39

theredbaron wrote: Some of the very high priced newly made amulets, for example, are made out of bone pieces from human skulls. Other, extremely rare and high priced, are mummified human fetuses.
There are many depictions of different female deities/spirits, both nude, some in sexual poses, often also very voluptuous. Many such "mahasanae" incorporate earth taken from graveyards. I have several amulets, for example, by a monk who lives at an old graveyard, and most of his amulets have small pieces of bone pressed into the backside of the amulets.
very fascinating, for me...
lets take the topic to the miscellaneous section :) are you farang or khonthai? can mr moderator help split these few posts? there's probably quite a bit to discuss on this subject elsewhere but not here

seeing and verifying such buddhist paraphernalia is more complicated than verifying yixing clays for sure.. :P :lol:
茶禅无味之味
杯中无意之禅
乃是无中生勿有
茶叶展方何其音?

Feb 26th, '14, 20:10

by theredbaron » Feb 26th, '14, 20:10

kyarazen wrote:
lets take the topic to the miscellaneous section :) are you farang or khonthai? can mr moderator help split these few posts? there's probably quite a bit to discuss on this subject elsewhere but not here

seeing and verifying such buddhist paraphernalia is more complicated than verifying yixing clays for sure.. :P :lol:
Farang.

Old amulets are impossibly difficult to verify, and regarding price can be as high as old yixing pots. New amulets aren't that difficult - when obtained directly from the temples, or from shops who specialize in new amulets and who have direct links to temples and lay ajarn.

Mar 1st, '14, 12:43

by Have Some Tea » Mar 1st, '14, 12:43

Hi Guys,

Before I start I want to thank Kyarazen, Chrl42, Tead Off, MarshalN, Drax and Teaism for introducing me to the world of Yixing. I must say it has been life changing. For me tea was not something special except for matcha and first class sencha, gyokuro.

Thanks to our quest for age and maker of my inherited pot I stepped into a new dimension. In the search for a great Chinese tea I was blown away by the beautiful complexity of high mountain oolong. Realizing the potential could be even greater when brewed in a small Yixing pot I began my search and hunted one down.

Today started off great, some early morning meditation, some tea, nice sun..... and it became an awesome day when this little box came in the mail. I found it on the internet, in search for a new home for a soft price.

So here we are... a new mystery, a new quest. But this time we have a golden silk box, a silk pouch, artist documentation, stamps, autographs. Except it's all in Chinese. Who is able and so kind to tell me the story behind this little gem?

Clay: zisha
Content: 150ml
Artist: ?

Tea partner: High mountain oolong, Taiwan

MarshalN: Can you read and translate the text on the certificate? :roll:

Yixing 150ml x1.jpg
Yixing 150ml x1.jpg (25.39 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Yixing certificate1.jpg
Yixing certificate1.jpg (36.01 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Yixing certificate2.jpg
Yixing certificate2.jpg (21.51 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Last edited by Have Some Tea on Mar 1st, '14, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.

Mar 1st, '14, 12:45

by Have Some Tea » Mar 1st, '14, 12:45

To complete the series:
Yixing 150ml x2.jpg
Yixing 150ml x2.jpg (24.35 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Yixing 150ml x3.jpg
Yixing 150ml x3.jpg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Yixing 150ml x4.jpg
Yixing 150ml x4.jpg (17.71 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

Mar 1st, '14, 13:08

by debunix » Mar 1st, '14, 13:08

(TAD enabled here)

Mar 1st, '14, 22:39

by kikula » Mar 1st, '14, 22:39

debunix wrote:(TAD enabled here)

:D :D :D

Mar 2nd, '14, 07:22

by kyarazen » Mar 2nd, '14, 07:22

made in 2010, zini, style is Yi Li Zhu or one bead style
maker is Xu Zhan Qiang
volume is 200cc?

document says : maker started learning to make yixing in 1991. yixing purple clay is serious business. maker is serious too. makes pot by traditional methods. material is from huang long shan.

Mar 4th, '14, 07:43

by Have Some Tea » Mar 4th, '14, 07:43

kyarazen wrote:made in 2010, zini, style is Yi Li Zhu or one bead style
maker is Xu Zhan Qiang
volume is 200cc?

document says : maker started learning to make yixing in 1991. yixing purple clay is serious business. maker is serious too. makes pot by traditional methods. material is from huang long shan.
Thanks kyarazen,

I did some more research on Google about this potter 许占强 (Xu Zhan Jiang) and found a couple of Yixing pottery sites where his work is mentioned. Not that the Google Translate on Site is helping me alot but it's always nice to learn at little bit more about it's origin and maker.

I got it from someone how didn't know what to do with such a tiny pot. It was a gamble because the online photo's where sketchy. She sold it to me for only $15 including shipment.

Volume is 180cc (filled to the top with lid closed)

The little beauty quite likes the high mountain oolong I've been feeding. So much so that it's keeping most of the delight for itself, greedy bastard! :mrgreen:

The persimmon project
(http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 85#p257258)

Unfortunately I don't have a final conclusion about the persimmon pot yet. I'm waiting for a response from Sotheby's Hong Kong and/or Christies Amsterdam.

To be continued... :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply