Sep 22nd, '14, 16:03

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Poseidon » Sep 22nd, '14, 16:03

Anyone have any yixing gaiwans? Ive been on a gaiwan kick lately and thought about picking one up in a nice clay but it is proving to be a chore to find one.

Sep 23rd, '14, 00:21

by Hannah » Sep 23rd, '14, 00:21

All the "yixing" gaiwans I've seen online have been very suspicious looking.. I've never seen one that looked like it could be decent quality :( I'm interested in checking one out though if anyone has!!

Sep 23rd, '14, 00:46

by Tead Off » Sep 23rd, '14, 00:46

heliospace wrote:This teapot showed up today. 255ml,high fired,no pour when hole covered,no leak. Anyone want to come drink tea with me? It's big and pretty, but not practical for me. But who could say no to an 18 dollar yixing? Anyone guesstimate the age and read the chop mark(s)?
Looks new.

Sep 23rd, '14, 08:34

by Poseidon » Sep 23rd, '14, 08:34

Hannah wrote:All the "yixing" gaiwans I've seen online have been very suspicious looking.. I've never seen one that looked like it could be decent quality :( I'm interested in checking one out though if anyone has!!
I agree hannah. I dont even need yixing clay, just a safe unglazed clay. I have a few "yixing" covered porcelain gaiwans but they are basically for looks, maybe heat retention.

If anyone has a yixing gaiwan please share some expirences/photos. I would love to know what you like/dislike about it.

Sep 24th, '14, 06:01

by Noonie » Sep 24th, '14, 06:01

Poseidon wrote:Anyone have any yixing gaiwans? Ive been on a gaiwan kick lately and thought about picking one up in a nice clay but it is proving to be a chore to find one.
What about a red/purple clay Houhin? I know it isn't a Gaiwan, but it can be used in a similar way.

I love Gaiwans though, so simple :)

Sep 24th, '14, 23:09

by kyarazen » Sep 24th, '14, 23:09

Poseidon wrote:Anyone have any yixing gaiwans? Ive been on a gaiwan kick lately and thought about picking one up in a nice clay but it is proving to be a chore to find one.
in the early days yixing clay was seldom made into gaiwans. you can find lots of houhin like objects, and lots of cups of all shape, sizes, mugs, coffee cups, pitchers etc, but much lesser on gaiwan. apparently it was said to have something to do with the identity of yixing "hu", and that gaiwan etc had a strong tradition of being made in jingdezhen with higher "guan yao" grades available etc. yixing did not enjoy that much of a status in this area.

nevertheless here are some examples of yixing gaiwans and "houhins" that can be a nice substitute if you can handle the heat of some of them
do take note of the glazed interiors of the antique yixing gaiwans, where there had been debate on the issue of 开片白釉

houhins?

Sep 25th, '14, 01:20

by Tead Off » Sep 25th, '14, 01:20

I would imagine these were made for the Japanese market?

Sep 25th, '14, 01:28

by kyarazen » Sep 25th, '14, 01:28

Tead Off wrote:I would imagine these were made for the Japanese market?
some are, some are not. there are several models of these that can be found in south east asia, including a thousand pieces of one of the designs ordered with customized inscriptions by a friend during the CR.

i'm sure you would have also come across these vessels with an added side handle if you've been mingling in the antique trade for a while

Sep 25th, '14, 01:42

by Tead Off » Sep 25th, '14, 01:42

kyarazen wrote:
Tead Off wrote:I would imagine these were made for the Japanese market?
some are, some are not. there are several models of these that can be found in south east asia, including a thousand pieces of one of the designs ordered with customized inscriptions by a friend during the CR.

i'm sure you would have also come across these vessels with an added side handle if you've been mingling in the antique trade for a while
I've never come across one here.

Sep 26th, '14, 00:12

by bagua7 » Sep 26th, '14, 00:12

Here are a couple:

The first one looks like regular zisha and the second item duan ni. I'd go for the first one; it's also smaller.

Sep 26th, '14, 07:53

by Poseidon » Sep 26th, '14, 07:53

bagua7 wrote:
Here are a couple:

The first one looks like regular zisha and the second item duan ni. I'd go for the first one; it's also smaller.
Thank you! I completely forgot to look at YS. Nice looking out.

Sep 27th, '14, 16:48

by Ambrose » Sep 27th, '14, 16:48

havent posted any pots in a while I have too many!

Scored this very flat unused 80's pinzini and it makes a glorious pot of yancha! :D

thats a zini no.1 clay FaXiang Hu by Chen Ju Fang in the background
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg (38.44 KiB) Viewed 2308 times

Sep 27th, '14, 21:59

by chrl42 » Sep 27th, '14, 21:59

Ambrose wrote:havent posted any pots in a while I have too many!

Scored this very flat unused 80's pinzini and it makes a glorious pot of yancha! :D

i've come across one before, pretty thin wall.. is a factory-2 mould if i remember correctly

Sep 27th, '14, 23:22

by kyarazen » Sep 27th, '14, 23:22

Ambrose wrote:havent posted any pots in a while I have too many!

yumz! that should be able to sharpen yancha into its nice layers ;)

Sep 28th, '14, 02:04

by Passion » Sep 28th, '14, 02:04

Hello!

I am new to these forums, and also fairly new to the art tea. I have enjoyed tea my entire life, but I only began drinking loose-leaf tea the past 3 years. I joined these forums in hopes to learn a little more about tea, as it has become a daily ritual that helps to keep me at peace while I'm working through university. I also hope to learn a bit about ceramics. This year I have started the practice of throwing. The intimacy of ceramics is fascinating to me.

I believe my teapot is of the yixing type, and I'd like to get to know a little more about it. I thought this might be the place to do so! The things I have discerned from it so far: It is at least partially hand made. It is apparent that the pot decoration was done by hand. The clay appears to be a mixture, although I haven't the slightest clue what types it is composed of.

I have the information from the artist, but I cannot read Chinese. It was made in July 2006 and I believe it is not one-of-a-kind, but of some edition for this particular pot design. For now, here is one photo of the pot:

I apologize for the poor lighting.

And a photo of the information:

Here are photos of the maker's marks:

Please let me know if more images would be helpful.

+ Post Reply