Aug 18th, '12, 07:17
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

by Drax » Aug 18th, '12, 07:17

bagua7 wrote:That can be fixed. There is a thread buried somewhere in which this issue was raised and discussed. Sweet, if any of the forum detectives is able to dig it up.
I happened to remember that the solution was "diamond file," which was a much easier (and unique!) search. The thread is right here.

Aug 18th, '12, 19:36

by bagua7 » Aug 18th, '12, 19:36

Thanks man :) If I ever have this issue I'd stick to beecrofter's advice: ask the dentist to do the job; I personally dread the thought of cracking the lid due to lack of skill, eek!

Aug 19th, '12, 09:06

by ImmortaliTEA » Aug 19th, '12, 09:06

bagua7 wrote:Hey, don't be so obsessed with that clay :twisted: , I'd personally stick to zi qie ni which is readily available and of less dubious quality as stated by chrl42 in post no 11:

This beast is 140mL (I wish it was a tad smaller though) and now dedicated to red tea. Fast and super smooth pour, no drips.
ImmortaliTEA wrote:...it dribbles which I think is caused by having too small an air hole in the lid. Any info or opinions on the clay or anything else about this tiny Shui Ping would be greatly appreciated!
That can be fixed. There is a thread buried somewhere in which this issue was raised and discussed. Sweet, if any of the forum detectives is able to dig it up.
Thank you Bagua7 as well as Drax for finding the exact posts about the Diamond Files. I will buy a set of these and see how it goes. This teapot was one of those that you wish you wold have been able to see it and touch it in person before buying it and probably wouldn't have bought it if that was the case. I am very curious what real Zhu Ni looks like when it isn't high fired so perhaps I would have a reference to compare to Hong Ni. If anyone has seen anything like this if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 22nd, '12, 02:02

by chrl42 » Aug 22nd, '12, 02:02

steanze wrote:I've been around for a while on this forum but this is probably the first time I post a pic of one of my pots :)

Clay type: DiCaoQing
Size: 140ml / 4.7 ounces
Year: ~2009
Thickness: medium walled
Pour: 13 seconds
Source: Taobao
Maker: Jiang Xiang Yu
Type of tea: sheng puerh

The shine comes from 2 years of frequent use :D
I've got some Jiang's pots before,

His pots are pretty ok, from selections of clay to craftsmanship. The price of his pots doubled than it was 2 years ago.

:)

Aug 22nd, '12, 12:17

by Maxwell2079 » Aug 22nd, '12, 12:17

I've got some Jiang's pots before,

His pots are pretty ok, from selections of clay to craftsmanship. The price of his pots doubled than it was 2 years ago.
Hi chrl42,

By any chance, could you give me the name of this potter in Mandarin please? I mean not in pin yin.

By the way, I have sent you a PM don´t know if you have read it already.

Take care.

Aug 22nd, '12, 15:16

by anissa » Aug 22nd, '12, 15:16

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is 蒋翔宇 (Jiang Xiang Yu)

Aug 22nd, '12, 17:06

by Maxwell2079 » Aug 22nd, '12, 17:06

Thank you anissa and welcome to the chat.

Where are you from if I may ask?

Aug 22nd, '12, 20:51

by anissa » Aug 22nd, '12, 20:51

Thank you for the welcome. I am from St. Louis. Not sure if there are any midwest teachat-ers.

I have been "lurking" around for a while now and just recently decided to open an account.

Aug 22nd, '12, 20:59

by needaTEAcher » Aug 22nd, '12, 20:59

Welcome Anissa!!!

Aug 22nd, '12, 21:06

by anissa » Aug 22nd, '12, 21:06

needaTEAcher wrote:Welcome Anissa!!!
Thank you!

Aug 22nd, '12, 21:59

by bagua7 » Aug 22nd, '12, 21:59

anissa wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong...
anissa wrote:I have been "lurking" around for a while now and just recently decided to open an account.
It's obvious that you have. :lol:

I love that expression, it should become a tag. :mrgreen:

Aug 22nd, '12, 22:00

by chrl42 » Aug 22nd, '12, 22:00

Maxwell2079 wrote: Hi chrl42,

By any chance, could you give me the name of this potter in Mandarin please? I mean not in pin yin.

By the way, I have sent you a PM don´t know if you have read it already.

Take care.
Sorry, your link didn't work in China..I will send you PM after installing a proxy server.

Anissa was right in spelling hanzi

Peace.

Aug 23rd, '12, 00:55

by ImmortaliTEA » Aug 23rd, '12, 00:55

Clay: Zi Ni (closer in kiln making it darker). Medium Fired.
Size: 75 ml
Age/Year: 1990's
Walls: Medium. Very Wide Opening.
Pour: +/- 6 sec. Few drips. Tight lid fit.
Source: Gift from Father!
Tea Pairing: Still Testing (Just received)
Info: I had a recent surprise package in the mail this week that contained two wonderful new Xiao Pin Yixing teapots that my father sent to me as a gift. This one being the first. It is a very dark Zi Ni and supposedly its from being closer to the firing process in the kiln. The color slightly resembles the Zi Ni Shui Ping from Essence of Tea that was just shown on here, however, it is a completely different Zi Ni clay and it makes much better tea and is a much much better size for me, as a matter of fact 75-80 ml is starting to be right at the sweet spot for me when it comes to full leaf expansion. Believe it or not even though this teapot is medium fired, it is still very dense and makes a very high pitched sound when tapped as if high fired but still has rounding qualities the way a medium fired Zi Ni should. My favorite part about this teapot is its long lid skirt like the old style. I have very few teapots with long lid skirts and it's something I have looked forward to as I remember Tim saying how effective long lid skirts can be in pressing the extra oils out of the leaves when packed to the brim O.G. Gong Fu Style sort of like a coffee press is I believe the analogy he used but I don't remember the exact wording so please don't take my words as verbatim. If anyone has any experience with extra dark Zi Ni like this with a very dense and metallic sounding structure please give your recommendations for pairing possibilities. I was thinking possibly Yan Cha or even Aged Sheng puerh could be a possibility. I tried a 1970's Liu An in it and it was magnificent!

Aug 23rd, '12, 01:31

by ImmortaliTEA » Aug 23rd, '12, 01:31

Clay: Qing Shui Ni. Medium Fired.
Size: 100 ml
Age/Year: 1990's
Walls: Thickest!
Pour: +/- 6 sec. No drips. Good lid fit.
Source: Gift from Father.
Tea Pairing: Brand New (But anything that needs strong rounding)
Info: This is the latter of the two teapots my father sent me as a surprise gift. It is supposedly pure Qing Shui Ni from one of the Yixing Factories in the 90's but not sure which. If anyone has any info on the chop please help me out and sorry if it's upside down. After seeing Tim's red clay teapot in this particular Bell Shape I was compelled to find one of my own although I knew mine wouldn't be as nice of clay and what a coincidence my father ends up buying me the shape I have wanted for so long without me even telling him. This is most definitely the thickest walled yixing teapot in my collection as well as being the thickest walls I have ever seen on a Xiao Pin teapot. This is a great characteristic because the clay by itself is already a wonderful match for strong teas that could use some rounding such as Aged Liu An/Liu Bao or even Aged Puerh, but the added heat from the EXTREMELY thick walls just brings even more greatness out of these teas. I have previously only had experience with Low Fired Qing Shui Ni teapots that were super porous and didn't leave a trace of aroma, but since this one is medium fired (and has a slight metallic sound when tapped but still much more dull than even the medium fired Zi Ni I just posted) it handles the rough notes and rounds them out just as well as a low fired & accentuates and preserves the aroma like no porous clay teapot I have ever used. On top of the fact that I absolutely love the shape and clay, the icing on the cake is that it pours like a "napoleon cannon" as a fellow teachatter has said before about Shui Pings and empties completely in under 6 seconds. I have a feeling this teapot is going to rise in the ranks and become one of my top 5 and I cannot wait to see how beautiful of a patina it develops.

Aug 23rd, '12, 07:30

by Math » Aug 23rd, '12, 07:30

Very nice teapots ImmortaliTEA! Love your pictures and your lenghty commentaries on your pots. Keep it up! I'm still in the process of learning how different firing affects the outcome of the tea.

I hope to post some pics of my pots one day too, once I've acquired a decent camera.

+ Post Reply