Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby chrl42 » Aug 26th, '14, 02:14

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:
kyleshen wrote:The famous ten color shui-ping!!!


Nice! Top row middle is my favorite.

I've had that Xu Bian (expects that to be late-80s~ version) before..used to be a killer for SX..

No.4 mine Pin Zini...worked very fine with Yancha!


i just saw a few pieces, they poured too slowly despite being a nice stream.

any idea on the proportion of what they mixed in to give this pin zi color?

Mine was pretty good at pouring.

It's really hard to define the clays of Factory 1..since there are too many. Late-80s~97 Zini ones are mostly manganese-doped, yet the color of each year was different I heard, from obvervation, square-sticker period's zini ones tended towards purple-ish while hologram-sticker period's zini ones tended towards brown-ish. Some Pin Zi was mixed with the Shi Huang clay.

It's almost too hard...there was also specific Pin Zini called Te (special) Pin Zini, grades are 1~4. The grade numbers are stamped on the surfaces of the clays. For me, there is no way to confirm which one really is Te-Pin...since many experts opinions differed on this. Grade 1 and 2 were reserved for masters.


Anyways, after 82-series the batches of clay used by masters and used for making commercial pots were not the same. But still quality mine #4~#5 clays.
User avatar
chrl42
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mar 22nd, '
Location: Beijing

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby kyleshen » Aug 26th, '14, 17:17

kyarazen wrote:
bonescwa wrote:
kyleshen wrote:The famous ten color shui-ping!!!

Hmm I'm only seeing one shui ping. Side question: do the more angular modern looking pots have names? Or are they relatively recent compared to the traditionally shaped pots (xishi, shui ping, fanggu, etc.)


the Shi jin series was first made in '82, and consistently in production even up till the round laser label period.. (93-97).

each of the pots have names, and are made from different types of clay each

段泥六方 - duan ni hexagonal
紫泥方钟 - zi ni fang zhong
调砂石瓢 - tiao sha shi piao
三足炉 - san zu lu, three legged burner
绿泥凹肩 - lv ni ou jian, green clay curved shoulder
黑泥鱼罩 - hei-ni yu zhao (fish trap)
拼紫虚扁 - pin-zi xu bian (flat purple)
青灰合碗 - qing hui he wan
红泥君德 - hong ni jun de
绿泥西施 - lv ni xi shi.

a nice snapshot of the clay types that had been developed or used in the early 80s/earlier.

Great translation!!!
kyleshen
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Jul 12th, '

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby bonescwa » Aug 26th, '14, 18:18

kyleshen wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
bonescwa wrote:
kyleshen wrote:The famous ten color shui-ping!!!

Hmm I'm only seeing one shui ping. Side question: do the more angular modern looking pots have names? Or are they relatively recent compared to the traditionally shaped pots (xishi, shui ping, fanggu, etc.)


the Shi jin series was first made in '82, and consistently in production even up till the round laser label period.. (93-97).

each of the pots have names, and are made from different types of clay each

段泥六方 - duan ni hexagonal
紫泥方钟 - zi ni fang zhong
调砂石瓢 - tiao sha shi piao
三足炉 - san zu lu, three legged burner
绿泥凹肩 - lv ni ou jian, green clay curved shoulder
黑泥鱼罩 - hei-ni yu zhao (fish trap)
拼紫虚扁 - pin-zi xu bian (flat purple)
青灰合碗 - qing hui he wan
红泥君德 - hong ni jun de
绿泥西施 - lv ni xi shi.

a nice snapshot of the clay types that had been developed or used in the early 80s/earlier.

Great translation!!!

Yea... The knowledge the people on this forum have about pots and tea amazes me... whether I can practically use this knowledge anytime soon as an American guy remains to be seen lol. But I appreciate it! Thank you
bonescwa
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Feb 3rd, '1

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby steanze » Aug 27th, '14, 00:27

Really nice set! Are you using the pots? For what teas?

Here is a new little shuiping:

Image

Image

Size: ~110ml
Clay: Hong ni
Walls: medium-thick
Pour: single hole
Pour speed: 9 seconds
Age: '90s
Tea: yancha
steanze
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby William » Aug 27th, '14, 00:55

Hi,

Do you have photos of the inside and under the lid?

Regards.
William
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Jul 10th, '
Location: Italy, EU.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby steanze » Aug 27th, '14, 00:56

I followed Charles' (chrl42) advice about teapots for hongcha: tall and zini.

Image

Image

Size: 220ml
Clay: zini
Pour: multiple hole (22!)
Pour speed: fast
Age: ~2000
Tea: Hongcha
steanze
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby steanze » Aug 27th, '14, 01:03

William wrote:Hi,

Do you have photos of the inside and under the lid?

Regards.


Here's a photo of under the lid. I'll try to get clearer pictures of the inside tomorrow when there's more light.

Image
steanze
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby William » Aug 27th, '14, 01:17

Thanks! Looks good, a really nice teapot! :wink:
William
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Jul 10th, '
Location: Italy, EU.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby steanze » Aug 27th, '14, 01:19

Thanks!!
steanze
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby William » Aug 27th, '14, 01:27

steanze wrote:Thanks!!


You should try greener oolong, if you drink this kind of tea! This clay could be a real killer! :wink:
William
 
Posts: 456
Joined: Jul 10th, '
Location: Italy, EU.

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby kyarazen » Aug 27th, '14, 03:50

bonescwa wrote:Yea... The knowledge the people on this forum have about pots and tea amazes me... whether I can practically use this knowledge anytime soon as an American guy remains to be seen lol. But I appreciate it! Thank you


such knowledge on the pots is easy to find, and the info is often of not much value..

the most valuable knowledge is knowing where to find a set or sets of these are reasonably good prices, and also how to tell the era/year these were made (those of late 90s sometimes have carvings on them too)
User avatar
kyarazen
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Sep 2nd, '1
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby Tead Off » Aug 27th, '14, 04:29

steanze wrote:I followed Charles' (chrl42) advice about teapots for hongcha: tall and zini.

Image

Image

Size: 220ml
Clay: zini
Pour: multiple hole (22!)
Pour speed: fast
Age: ~2000
Tea: Hongcha

Honestly, the best pots I've used are hongni yixing for hongcha and black teas. But, many other clays can give excellent results.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby chrl42 » Aug 27th, '14, 04:40

I don't even remember when I did say that :lol:

But for the shape, I took the advice from Xu Xiu-tang's book as black teas come concentrated. Other books also suggest round shapes, too.


I personally find Zhuni, Zaoqi Hongni & Heixingtu such dense clays can serve for better than Qing Shui Ni or too porous types. :D
User avatar
chrl42
 
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mar 22nd, '
Location: Beijing

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby steanze » Aug 27th, '14, 09:11

Thanks for the advice!
Before dedicating it I experimented a bit with another zhuni pot, and I preferred the results from the zini because of the rounder flavor... that's interesting because for yancha instead I much prefer to use zhuni/hongni. Since it seems that you both got better results with denser clays, I'll experiment some more. Or maybe it's the hongcha I have that has less aroma...
steanze
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: Cambridge, USA

Re: Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic!

Postby steanze » Aug 27th, '14, 09:15

William wrote:
steanze wrote:Thanks!!


You should try greener oolong, if you drink this kind of tea! This clay could be a real killer! :wink:


Good suggestion! I do drink greener oolong, but I already have another pot for that. Maybe I'll experiment around though :)
steanze
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: Cambridge, USA

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation