Oct 14th, '10, 13:42
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

by Chip » Oct 14th, '10, 13:42

Great Korean wares everyone!

Interesting set karmaplace, seems very Korean from the little I have seen. You have a distinct advantage! :mrgreen:

Enjoy the Busan show! Take some photos for us, PLEEZE :!:

Oct 14th, '10, 16:14

by Victoria » Oct 14th, '10, 16:14

Very nice karmaplace! Hankook Teas has the same set online for the same price, $45. I have been eying it for awhile - but the color of yours is nicer.
If I could find in in celadon green I would buy it in a heart beat. I think the quality looks very nice, with a nice thick glaze. Congrats!

Nov 7th, '10, 01:19

by karmaplace » Nov 7th, '10, 01:19

So, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I went to the Busan Tea and Craft Fair and had a wonderful time, and have also added some beautiful pieces to my collection and met some really awesome artisans. The bad news is... I left my camera battery on the charger in my apartment. I AM SO SORRY!

The turn-out was very good. There were a lot of Korean tea vendors, as well as artisans selling tea ware to traditional clothing to furniture and baskets. There were a lot of stalls selling Chinese teas and Yixing pots and trays as well. I tried Pu-erh for the first time, and loved it, but the elder man running the booth (who spoke great English), told me that I shouldn't get into Pu-erh and other Chinese teas just yet. He looked me up and down and could tell I don't have the patience now, but maybe when I'm older. :)

I managed to get a hold of four new tea cups (at about $9 each), an entire tea set complete with five cups and one free cup of my choice, a teapot, and a yuzamashi (for about $90), and a chawan (for about $18). I posted all the images on my Tumblr, so I will just link the posts.

Cups by Lee Chun Rim
Cups by Lee Chun Rim
Tea Set by Son Chun Ho
Tea Cups by Son Chun Ho
"Free" Cup by Son Chun Ho
Teapot by Son Chun Ho
Yuzamashi by Son Chun Ho
Chawan by Son Chun Ho

Nov 7th, '10, 04:49

by alan logan » Nov 7th, '10, 04:49

beautiful, and I like the yuzamashi very much!
your tumblr is very interesting.

Nov 7th, '10, 06:21

by Victoria » Nov 7th, '10, 06:21

Wow, thanks for sharing! Some lovely things.

Nov 7th, '10, 08:22

by karmaplace » Nov 7th, '10, 08:22

alan logan wrote:your tumblr is very interesting.

Thanks! And thank you, Victoria, as well. I was literally giggling with joy when I got home and unpacked everything. These will keep me quite content for a while. :)

Nov 7th, '10, 11:29

by debunix » Nov 7th, '10, 11:29

I especially love this 2nd set of cups--the combination of graceful shape, colors, and textures of glaze and lay is amazing.

http://karmaplace.tumblr.com/post/1503411658/cups-by

Nov 7th, '10, 14:07

by Chip » Nov 7th, '10, 14:07

It must be amazing to be able to visit something like this and come away with such lovely pieces!

I think they convey Korean style I have seen.

Please post some photos! :mrgreen:

Nov 9th, '10, 21:59

by britt » Nov 9th, '10, 21:59

karmaplace wrote:So, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I went to the Busan Tea and Craft Fair and had a wonderful time, and have also added some beautiful pieces to my collection and met some really awesome artisans. The bad news is... I left my camera battery on the charger in my apartment. I AM SO SORRY!

The turn-out was very good. There were a lot of Korean tea vendors, as well as artisans selling tea ware to traditional clothing to furniture and baskets. There were a lot of stalls selling Chinese teas and Yixing pots and trays as well. I tried Pu-erh for the first time, and loved it, but the elder man running the booth (who spoke great English), told me that I shouldn't get into Pu-erh and other Chinese teas just yet. He looked me up and down and could tell I don't have the patience now, but maybe when I'm older. :)

I managed to get a hold of four new tea cups (at about $9 each), an entire tea set complete with five cups and one free cup of my choice, a teapot, and a yuzamashi (for about $90), and a chawan (for about $18). I posted all the images on my Tumblr, so I will just link the posts.

Cups by Lee Chun Rim
Cups by Lee Chun Rim
Tea Set by Son Chun Ho
Tea Cups by Son Chun Ho
"Free" Cup by Son Chun Ho
Teapot by Son Chun Ho
Yuzamashi by Son Chun Ho
Chawan by Son Chun Ho
Wow, I Iike all of them!

Nov 9th, '10, 22:06

by britt » Nov 9th, '10, 22:06

Unfortunately I am not very familiar with Korean tea and teaware, or for the matter anything else from that country. I may have unknowingly bypassed some great stuff from there over the last few years. Although the following comments aren't strictly tea-related, I think they're somewhat relevant since many of us, as we get deeper into tea culture, also expand into other related areas like Asian art.

Due to recent unemployment and the drop of the dollar, I've pulled way back on my purchases from Japan. On the other hand and with a couple of exceptions, buying from China doesn't always mean saving money. Their quality items are still expensive. Many of their other items are so poor in quality that what seems like a good deal isn't when you end up replacing the items with something better because of poor manufacturing and quality standards.

I recently made my first purchases from South Korea and I am very pleased with the service, quality, and products. I replaced some good Chinese paintings mounted on super-low-quality scrolls with much higher quality Korean scrolls hich actually cost less than the Chinese ones. On the Korean scrolls the fabric is much nicer, the hanging cords are of very superior quality, and they use real wood rods instead of cheap plastic ones. All of this came at a price that was the same or cheaper than their Chinese equivalents.

I also have completed most of my Christmas shopping and it was from these same Korean vendors. I usually get my Christmas gifts from Japan and they have been very polular with the recipients. This year I didn't want to spend as much as in previous years, but I also didn't want to give people junk for Christmas. I found some awesome mother of pearl items form Korea that are actually made in that country but are offered at prices that seem to good to be true. I have received my first two orders and my opinion is this: these South Korean products and vendors are offering Japanese quality and service at the prices we expect to pay for mainland Chinese products. To me, this is the ultimate deal.

Here's the links to the two vendors I've used. Their teaware is very limited, but their other items may be of interest to some forum members. My sister liked the mother of pearl items so much she had me pick up a few for her to give as gifts to her friends. Most items look significantly better than the pictures as the MOP effects must be difficult to capture on film.

http://stores.ebay.com/LUVOD

http://stores.ebay.com/Antique-Alive

Edit: The dealer Luvod has a smaller selection but is supported by the capital city of Seoul. The city actually guarantees your satisfaction. The prices from Luvod can be significantly lower, especially during their sales. Most of what I purchased from them was discounted one third AND shipping was included in the discounted prices.

Luvod also offers custom mother of pearl designs to their customers for a modest one-time fee. I won't quote the fee here because it is so low I suspect it may be a mistake. I have asked for confirmation of the price, as I am considering submitting a custom design to be manufactured. Maybe an ancient Chinese green dragon on a white mother of pearl background adorning a chrome cigaretter case.

I would not hesitate to use either vendor, but the special deals from Luvod, along with the lack of shipping fees, has saved me a lot of money on my Christmas shopping. Both vendors have great customer feedback.

Nov 10th, '10, 12:18

by Victoria » Nov 10th, '10, 12:18

Thanks for those links. I love MOP.

Dec 7th, '10, 20:12

by OhJungMin » Dec 7th, '10, 20:12

Here's my Korean tea set - I bought it in a small tea wear shop in Insadong area. The lady who sold it to me said it's handmade. I'd like to believe what she said :-)

Teapot:
The tea set (Korean Celadon):

Dec 8th, '10, 17:35

by convivium » Dec 8th, '10, 17:35

where can korean teaware be bought online?

Dec 8th, '10, 17:45

by Chip » Dec 8th, '10, 17:45

convivium wrote:where can korean teaware be bought online?
Welcome to the forum. There are a few in this topic if you read through it ...

One is Hankook. http://www.hankooktea.com/

Dec 9th, '10, 13:48

by convivium » Dec 9th, '10, 13:48

Thank you Chip. Didn't see much on that site and can't find any other places.

+ Post Reply