The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby Tead Off » Jan 23rd, '12, 03:31

This is a lovely and finely made, white porcelain teapot about 125ml by Yi Yong Cheol from Gwangju, South Korea. Notice the incised lotus leaf both at the rear and spout of the pot. Very subtly done.
porcelain.jpg
porcelain.jpg (71.8 KiB) Viewed 1112 times

User avatar Tead Off
Vendor Member
Posts: 4424
Joined: Apr 01, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby debunix » Jan 23rd, '12, 10:10

Quite beautiful

User avatar debunix
Posts: 5771
Joined: Jan 10, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact debunix:

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby hopeofdawn » Jan 23rd, '12, 10:40

Tead Off wrote:This is a lovely and finely made, white porcelain teapot about 125ml by Yi Yong Cheol from Gwangju, South Korea. Notice the incised lotus leaf both at the rear and spout of the pot. Very subtly done.


Wow--how elegant! Does the artist have a site anywhere showing off his wares?

User avatar hopeofdawn
Posts: 583
Joined: Dec 13, '10
Location: Seattle
Contact hopeofdawn:

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby Chip » Jan 23rd, '12, 10:47

Purty ... and simply elegant.

Can you show the lotus leaf in the spout area. I cannot make it out. Thanks.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22808
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby Tead Off » Jan 23rd, '12, 11:45

Chip wrote:Purty ... and simply elegant.

Can you show the lotus leaf in the spout area. I cannot make it out. Thanks.

That's the problem with these small size pic limits. These are photos that the artist took. I just got the pot and haven't photographed it yet. When I get some time, I will show some detail of it. It is someone I want to include on my teaware site.

User avatar Tead Off
Vendor Member
Posts: 4424
Joined: Apr 01, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby Chip » Jan 23rd, '12, 11:55

Thanks.

There is a funny story about the size limit that was brought on by a particular type of spammer that would post humungous photos. Well, it was not so funny at the time.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22808
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby debunix » Jan 23rd, '12, 13:14

The lotus on the spout is quite subtle: I was able to bring it out by distorting the contrast significanlty in photoshop, but after seeing it there, I can just make it out in the original image as well: it's some very faint lines running parallel along the spout itself. I couldn't see the edges of the leaf, but only the veins, however.

User avatar debunix
Posts: 5771
Joined: Jan 10, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact debunix:

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby Chip » Jan 23rd, '12, 13:21

debunix wrote:The lotus on the spout is quite subtle: I was able to bring it out by distorting the contrast significanlty in photoshop, but after seeing it there, I can just make it out in the original image as well: it's some very faint lines running parallel along the spout itself. I couldn't see the edges of the leaf, but only the veins, however.

Yeah, I was finally able to see it after zooming in to 200%. Classy looking piece.

I look forward to more photos including the screen.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22808
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby Tead Off » Jan 23rd, '12, 22:27

Chip wrote:
debunix wrote:The lotus on the spout is quite subtle: I was able to bring it out by distorting the contrast significanlty in photoshop, but after seeing it there, I can just make it out in the original image as well: it's some very faint lines running parallel along the spout itself. I couldn't see the edges of the leaf, but only the veins, however.

Yeah, I was finally able to see it after zooming in to 200%. Classy looking piece.

I look forward to more photos including the screen.

I think the artist's point is to create the leaves very subtly. Even when you hold the pot in your hand, you have look a bit carefully to see the design. It blends in very smoothly with the whole pot. There is no contrast between the design and the body. The leaf is slightly raised at the holder and only the lines are really discernable. The filter is flush against the body with holes neatly poked through. Very smooth pourer.

User avatar Tead Off
Vendor Member
Posts: 4424
Joined: Apr 01, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby Tead Off » Jan 24th, '12, 06:40

Details of Yi Yong Cheol Teapot:
DSC05482.jpg
DSC05482.jpg (39.35 KiB) Viewed 932 times

DSC05488.jpg
DSC05488.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 932 times

User avatar Tead Off
Vendor Member
Posts: 4424
Joined: Apr 01, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby AdamMY » Feb 13th, '12, 20:01

A Park Jong Il teacup is finally in my hands after accidently being sent to my parents house.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar AdamMY
Posts: 2376
Joined: Jul 22, '09
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact AdamMY:

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby brandon » Feb 18th, '12, 11:11

Image
Image

User avatar brandon
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sep 25, '07
Scrolling: scrolling
Contact brandon:

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby debunix » Feb 18th, '12, 11:15

Fantastic 'fog' above that beautifully crazed cup.

User avatar debunix
Posts: 5771
Joined: Jan 10, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact debunix:

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby hopeofdawn » Feb 20th, '12, 10:23

brandon wrote:Image
[/img]


I love this first picture--amazingly atmospheric and serene. I just want to meditate over my tea after looking at it ....

User avatar hopeofdawn
Posts: 583
Joined: Dec 13, '10
Location: Seattle
Contact hopeofdawn:

Re: The unofficial/official Korean Teaware Topic

Postby TIM » Feb 20th, '12, 11:16

That's a stunning Korean Hagi B!! Wow!! The pink :)
Getting lighter by the weight yet?

Last edited by TIM on Feb 20th, '12, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar TIM
Vendor Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 04, '06
Location: NYC
Contact TIM:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest