How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Mar 25th, '15, 14:32
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Mar 25th, '15, 14:32

Gisui did ... and did not. You had a choice.

Like Alex, I also am very pleased with the Yamada Sou Kyusu-s I have purchased.

My current one is a taller, shudei kyusu, my preferred shape especially for direct wall kyusu. As I stated recently, somewhere ... I have been using virtually non stop for around 6 months. So much so, it almost never has a chance to fully dry. :mrgreen:

I am extremely pleased with the brewing results as well, amazing sencha each time.

The only downside is that it has prevented me from using other Kyusu. :?

Mar 25th, '15, 15:15

by Alex » Mar 25th, '15, 15:15

i found that with my Yamada. Its killed my small collection a little. The feel of it is like nothing else.

And the performance on the tea is superb. hojo knows yamada and speaks very highly of him, both as a Potter and person. I'm sooooo tempted to get another one but this one is so perfect I see no reason too. So Chip have you got a new tall One? Can you post a pic?

Mar 25th, '15, 22:54

by Tead Off » Mar 25th, '15, 22:54

William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Seems to be a common practice of adding iron oxide in Tokoname. I'm sure there must be some potters who don't.
I think that potters like Mawkawa Junzo and Shimizu Ken do not add any oxide to their clay, but there must be others.
Shimizu Ken is not from Tokoname.

Mar 25th, '15, 23:03

by Tead Off » Mar 25th, '15, 23:03

Alex wrote:I've had a couple of Tokoname that weren't that great for tea.

Yamada Sou and Hokujo and Shimzu Ken have been the best for me.

I know both Yamada and Hokujo add iron to the clay for tea flavor.

Hojo has a couple of Yamada kyusu in his collection and confirms they make great tea....just not as good as what he sells of course :lol:
There is little doubt that Yamada adds oxide, but I'm not certain about Hokujo. How do you know Hokujo adds it? I remember asking Toru about it and he didn't know. Hokujo mixes his clay that is why his color is not the deep red of typical Tokoname shudei.

Mar 25th, '15, 23:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Mar 25th, '15, 23:04

Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Seems to be a common practice of adding iron oxide in Tokoname. I'm sure there must be some potters who don't.
I think that potters like Mawkawa Junzo and Shimizu Ken do not add any oxide to their clay, but there must be others.
But he made some tokoname kyusu in the past, or no? :oops:

Mar 25th, '15, 23:06

by Tead Off » Mar 25th, '15, 23:06

William wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
William wrote:
But he made some tokoname kyusu in the past, or no? :oops:
He is Hojo's man from Sado Island.

Mar 26th, '15, 03:42

by Alex » Mar 26th, '15, 03:42

Tead Off wrote:

Hojo has a couple of Yamada kyusu in his collection and confirms they make great tea....just not as good as what he sells of course :lol:
There is little doubt that Yamada adds oxide, but I'm not certain about Hokujo. How do you know Hokujo adds it? I remember asking Toru about it and he didn't know. Hokujo mixes his clay that is why his color is not the deep red of typical Tokoname shudei.
I thought I saw in a video where he was discussing it with someone. I may have been confused though :oops: . I really like his clay the taste profile is really similar to Yamada. In that the the effect is subtle and balanced but very pleasant. I found the nosaka reduction too much for me these days, sold that one on.

Mar 26th, '15, 12:44

by AT333 » Mar 26th, '15, 12:44

Tead Off wrote:

So far Gisui impresses me the most especially his last batch of teapots using hongchuni. It really does magic to the tea.

Mumyoi oxidation is also one my favourite. Mumyoi reduction is fighting for that spot too :mrgreen:

I have tested Yamada red pot recently but don't find any excitement in it. Perhaps I should do more test with it, but the pot doesn't belong to me. Yamada 5 is a nice humble young guy who attended quite a lot of Hojo talk on tea in Japan. He inherited all the clay from Jozan 3 and has the clay processing facility, which is rare. Lucky guy, but he still need to find his style. His recent works is inching from Jozan 3 to Jozan 4 style.

I have some pots from Sawada, Tokujo, Jishu, Gishui, Watanabe Tozo, Shimizhu Ken and Masaki Tachi etc. etc. but still the Gisui and Mumyoi is my faves; not forgetting the shigaraki for raw Sheng. All the above are my humble opinion and knowledge, of course. Please enlighten me if I am wrong in any way :mrgreen:

Mar 26th, '15, 13:01

by kyarazen » Mar 26th, '15, 13:01

AT333 wrote:
So far Gisui impresses me the most especially his last batch of teapots using hongchuni. It really does magic to the tea.

Mumyoi oxidation is also one my favourite. Mumyoi reduction is fighting for that spot too :mrgreen:

I have tested Yamada red pot recently but don't find any excitement in it. Perhaps I should do more test with it, but the pot doesn't belong to me. Yamada 5 is a nice humble young guy who attended quite a lot of Hojo talk on tea in Japan. He inherited all the clay from Jozan 3 and has the clay processing facility, which is rare. Lucky guy, but he still need to find his style. His recent works is inching from Jozan 3 to Jozan 4 style.

I have some pots from Sawada, Tokujo, Jishu, Gishui, Watanabe Tozo, Shimizhu Ken and Masaki Tachi etc. etc. but still the Gisui and Mumyoi is my faves; not forgetting the shigaraki for raw Sheng. All the above are my humble opinion and knowledge, of course. Please enlighten me if I am wrong in any way :mrgreen:[/quote]

have you tried any hokujos? :D

Mar 26th, '15, 13:16

by AT333 » Mar 26th, '15, 13:16

I don't own any pot done by Hokujo but his clay looks natural to me. I find his style too perfect so far, but it takes a while to be attracted to any artist.
Any idea on Hokujo pot? :mrgreen:

Mar 26th, '15, 13:34

by Alex » Mar 26th, '15, 13:34

AT333 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

I have some pots from Sawada, Tokujo, Jishu, Gishui, Watanabe Tozo, Shimizhu Ken and Masaki Tachi etc. etc. but still the Gisui and Mumyoi is my faves; not forgetting the shigaraki for raw Sheng. All the above are my humble opinion and knowledge, of course. Please enlighten me if I am wrong in any way :mrgreen:
Can I see your Gisui?

I like the Mumyoi oxidation as well. Got a Tozo in it. Not a huge fan of the Shigarki at all though for sencha. i love the look and feel of the pots though. The clay has a strong smell/taste on the 3 models I've used and never seems to fade completely. I can always taste it in sencha. Might give it a blast with some stronger teas though. It's not an unpleasant taste by any means. 8)

Yeah I spoke to Hojo quite a bit about Yamada sou. He says he's a really nice guy. Hojo said he came to a seminar about clay that he hosted.

Looks like yamada emu uses same clay as Sou.? That family produces amazing work!

Here's a good interview with him

http://www.e-yakimono.net/html/yamada-e ... rview.html

Mar 26th, '15, 21:28

by AT333 » Mar 26th, '15, 21:28

Alex wrote:

Looks like yamada emu uses same clay as Sou.?
Thanks for the link on the interview.

I heard Jozan 3, Emu and Jozan 5 uses the same clay. Yamada Sou red clay series has iron oxide added in, that's what I heard. It looks like it from the photo and from real piece. I hope he refrains from doing it, if it is true. Personally, I don't need bright red colors but I am more incline to natural clay without additive.

I am on the move now. I will take a picture of the Gisui and post it later. :mrgreen:

Mar 26th, '15, 21:43

by kyarazen » Mar 26th, '15, 21:43

AT333 wrote:I don't own any pot done by Hokujo but his clay looks natural to me. I find his style too perfect so far, but it takes a while to be attracted to any artist.
Any idea on Hokujo pot? :mrgreen:
some thing like this :D

Mar 26th, '15, 21:52

by AT333 » Mar 26th, '15, 21:52

NIce :mrgreen: What is your assessment on his pot performance? :mrgreen:

Mar 26th, '15, 23:41

by Tead Off » Mar 26th, '15, 23:41

I use Hokujo shiboridashi for gyokoro and some dancong teas. Great. Gives good body, smoothness, and full flavor. Same clay as Kyarazen's kyusu.

I have no experience with Yamada or Gisui, but just on looks, I would choose the Gisui pots, no additives in the clay that I've heard of. I don't care for the aesthetics of the Shigaraki pots for the most part, but you can't argue with the quality of the clay for this and the Mumyoi, which are also hit and miss for me, aesthetically. Hojo does go out of his way to find good clay.

Banko clay still may be the best for sencha, IMO.

+ Post Reply