How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Sep 16th, '10, 16:32

Re: NEW! Ode to the Kyusu

by Abracadaver! » Sep 16th, '10, 16:32

Geekgirl wrote: I see gyokko, isn't it awesome?! I love it when an inexpensive pot is so functional and such good quality. :)
+1
I can't believe how disproportionate (in a good way) the ratio of quality to price for Gyokko's pots is.

Sep 16th, '10, 16:45

by laura99 » Sep 16th, '10, 16:45

sebpassion wrote:this is my kyusu-collection so far :D

but i'm planning to get some more at the end of the year
What a wonderful collection!
Abracadaver! wrote:I'm hoping someone around here might be able to give me a little info about this kyusu. I found it at a thrift shop (for $0.75!). I don't think it's particularly old, but it had been well used--very heavy tea staining on the interior and a lot of dried leaf clogging the filter. I've cleaned it up a bit, but haven't come to any conclusions. The workmanship is a bit rough--the red surface seems almost painted on and a bit crude and there are fingerprints in the surface of the pot, but the pour is smooth and the workmanship seems pretty solid.
I can't help you out - but that is a nice find!

Sep 17th, '10, 05:41

by sebpassion » Sep 17th, '10, 05:41

Victoria wrote:Oh very nice! And that's a great looking table too!
thx. the table is from the taiwanese brand eilong. i paid 120€ for it but i fell in love at first sight :mrgreen:
Geekgirl wrote: I see gyokko, isn't it awesome?! I love it when an inexpensive pot is so functional and such good quality. :)
yeah gyokko is my favourite craftsman.
the smallest kyusu is so well balanced, the spout is very good and the lid fits nearly perfect.
it's a bargain!

Sep 17th, '10, 13:53

by britt » Sep 17th, '10, 13:53

sebpassion wrote:the table is from the taiwanese brand eilong. i paid 120€ for it but i fell in love at first sight :mrgreen:

yeah gyokko is my favourite craftsman.
the smallest kyusu is so well balanced, the spout is very good and the lid fits nearly perfect.
it's a bargain!
Eilong of Taiwan is a great brand but I wasn't even aware that they made non-ceramic items like tea tables.

I have the same gyokko kyusu and it is an absolute steal at that price. It was good enough that I purchased a second one soon after. They're also cheap enough that you can actually dedicate them to one tea. One of mine is used for Japanese oolong and the other for Japanese black tea.

Nice kyusu collection. I think I also see an Arita designed by Mori?

Sep 20th, '10, 11:50

by sebpassion » Sep 20th, '10, 11:50

britt wrote: Eilong of Taiwan is a great brand but I wasn't even aware that they made non-ceramic items like tea tables.

I have the same gyokko kyusu and it is an absolute steal at that price. It was good enough that I purchased a second one soon after. They're also cheap enough that you can actually dedicate them to one tea. One of mine is used for Japanese oolong and the other for Japanese black tea.

Nice kyusu collection. I think I also see an Arita designed by Mori?
i was thinking about buying a second one too, just in case it gets broken..

i'm not sure about the other artisans who made my pots.
which one do you mean?
the darker one is a gyokko too, but the others :?:

Sep 20th, '10, 12:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Sep 20th, '10, 12:08

Abracadaver! wrote:
IMG_1779.jpg
This is freaking neat.
If the image were to show up, anyway.

Sep 20th, '10, 13:56

by amorphiss » Sep 20th, '10, 13:56

sebpassion,

where does the water drain on that tea table? does it have an external drain, or is there a tray inside that the water collects in?

Sep 21st, '10, 14:23

by sebpassion » Sep 21st, '10, 14:23

amorphiss wrote:sebpassion,

where does the water drain on that tea table? does it have an external drain, or is there a tray inside that the water collects in?
hi amorphiss,

the table has an external drain. theres a flexible tube that reaches to the bottom. you only need a small bucket or something else where the water can flow in.

Sep 21st, '10, 17:21

by britt » Sep 21st, '10, 17:21

sebpassion wrote:
britt wrote:Nice kyusu collection. I think I also see an Arita designed by Mori?
i'm not sure about the other artisans who made my pots.
which one do you mean?
the darker one is a gyokko too, but the others :?:
I was referring to the white porcelain kyusu. It looks like ones I've seen that were designed by Mori for the company Hakusan. Mori is a designer of many products, not just teaware, and some of his most famous designs date back to the early sixties. He's very popular in Japan, but not well known outside.

Sep 22nd, '10, 22:55

by Chip » Sep 22nd, '10, 22:55

Den's private label premium kyusu set. I was able to observe Den the man prepare various sencha in one of these sets for me at the World Tea Expo a few years back. Got the set on the spot. The set is quite suweet, and small.

I have grown quite accustomed to the "little guy" Denchan. :mrgreen:

Oct 1st, '10, 19:52

by entropyembrace » Oct 1st, '10, 19:52

Here´s a couple of shots of my Tokoname Kyusu and Shino Chawan together :mrgreen:

links are to larger versions :)

http://entropyembrace.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2y79zr

http://entropyembrace.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2xhpud

Oct 1st, '10, 20:53

by debunix » Oct 1st, '10, 20:53

Very cool design on the kyusu, nice size/shape.

Oct 1st, '10, 21:36

by entropyembrace » Oct 1st, '10, 21:36

debunix wrote:Very cool design on the kyusu, nice size/shape.
yes, it´s just about exactly the right size for an afternoon of sencha...I get everything out of the leaves...not feeling like I´m pushing myself to finish or like I´m wanting more. :mrgreen:

Oct 9th, '10, 10:31

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Stentor » Oct 9th, '10, 10:31

This is my first and only Kyusu. Inevitably, it is just the start of a collection. :)
Kyusu Sekiryu 280 ml.jpg
280 ml Kyusu by Sekiryu
Kyusu Sekiryu 280 ml.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
I have grown to love tea pots with the handle on the side. What a brilliant yet simple invention!

It was made by Sekiryu, has a capacity of approximately 280 ml (9.4 oz) if filled to the rim and a sasame filter.
I have had it for about 2 months and have been using it for Sencha and Gyokuro. It seems fine to use the same one for these types of teas. It is fine, right? ;)

For Sencha, I usually make steeps of 4 oz and it's pretty good for that. I could definitely make more in it but I wouldn't want to drink much more than 16 oz in one sitting (counting several steeps).
I don't think it would do too well filling it up to near full capacity.

I'm thinking about buying a smaller kyusu with a capacity of about 160 ml (5.4 oz).
Do you think it would be fine to make 4 oz steeps in it?
Have you found there to be something like an ideal ratio of how much water to fill it with vs. its full capacity?
The smaller pot is also probably better suited for Gyokuro although it may be better to have an even smaller one for that eventually, I suppose.

In the future, I will probably be getting a dedicated pot for fukamushi with a stainless steel mesh filter to make things easier, although I think it makes the kyusu appear much less valuable compared to sasame (or maybe I just haven't seen the right ones yet).

On another note, Victoria, I quite like your tea table, do you mind telling me what manufacturer it is from and where one might be able to buy a similar one? ;)

Oct 9th, '10, 10:54

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Chip » Oct 9th, '10, 10:54

Very nice kyusu Stentor.

While there is no set ratio, I tend to go 1/2 to 3/4 full. Beyond this, the pour can get messy ... and the resteeping as well since you have to get all the leaves back in the water ...

For gyokuro, ultimately you will want to get a houjin which is smaller, 3-4 ounces is typical or most common size. But 160 is definitely better than what you are currently using for gyokuro.

Gyokuro is "precious" and you want your pot to reflect that for maximum enjoyment, IMHO.

I like Bizen and Hagi Houjins, but want to try Banko and Tokoname as well.

+ Post Reply