How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Feb 27th, '14, 12:59

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Alex » Feb 27th, '14, 12:59

debunix wrote:Hardly seems necessary to wish you happiness with that gorgeous new kyusu on the way--how about wishing that you get to enjoy it for a long, long time?
Thanks debunix! it will be cherished and used a lot!

Feb 27th, '14, 14:45

by AdamMY » Feb 27th, '14, 14:45

I'm curious, have people been updating their selections on the Poll? I know I just had to change mine. :mrgreen:

With that teaser, photos to come later, and probably one or two other posts of rant/concern.

Feb 27th, '14, 15:22

by debunix » Feb 27th, '14, 15:22

Still holding in the same number range.

Feb 27th, '14, 15:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Feb 27th, '14, 15:30

Ha... I did have to tick mine up a tier...!

Feb 27th, '14, 15:47

by Chip » Feb 27th, '14, 15:47

I need a new tier not available in this antiquated poll ... 8)

Feb 27th, '14, 15:50

by debunix » Feb 27th, '14, 15:50

It goes right up to greater than or equal to 15, which in my recalled math is more than adequate to represent the entire production of kyusus by all potters for all time....because surely you don't have infinity plus 1 kyusu?

(infinitely pleasureable doesn't count)

Feb 27th, '14, 16:43

by Drax » Feb 27th, '14, 16:43

GASP...!

This 100 Daruma kyuusu is just freakin' awesome.

Feb 27th, '14, 17:26

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 27th, '14, 17:26

Drax wrote:Ha... I did have to tick mine up a tier...!

Yes, same here. :D

Alex,

Congratulations on the beautiful piece and your willingness to ask and seek out what you were looking for: I never thought to "ask" if he had any shig kyusu set aside.

Blessings!

Feb 27th, '14, 21:04

by Teaism » Feb 27th, '14, 21:04

Alex wrote:He had a few tucked away this one was the only one without flaws. Yes its shigaraki rough clay.
You are super lucky and smart of you to ask. I thought they are long gone. I will be there for 3 days staying at the hotel next to his shop in 2 weeks' time. Will ransack every corner. Anyone need my help to ransack anything in their wish list? :lol:

Feb 27th, '14, 21:06

by kyarazen » Feb 27th, '14, 21:06

Alex wrote:He had a few tucked away this one was the only one without flaws. Yes its shigaraki rough clay. Can't believe I've got two kyusu-s recently that I've not only lusted after for many years/months but also thought were impossible to get any more.

Chip lovely Yamada.....I was close to buying but don't have room/tea money currently. Akira knows Yamada. I spoke to him about the artist and he said he's a really nice guy, humble with a great personality. Hopefully one day they will team up :lol:
what! he put me on a wait list saying that there are none left, all sold and now there actually are stocks! :shock:

tsk tsk!... :lol:

Feb 27th, '14, 21:36

by kikula » Feb 27th, '14, 21:36

Drax wrote:GASP...!

This 100 Daruma kyuusu is just freakin' awesome.

So many beautiful, beautiful kyusus to look at, covet and hold, but I have to agree, that one is magnificently crazy, witty, fascinating, delicious and freakin' awesome. Nice to pop out of the box now and then. :)

And this one is also so much fun, and beautiful. http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/t ... ved16.html

Feb 28th, '14, 02:42

by Alex » Feb 28th, '14, 02:42

kyarazen wrote:
Alex wrote:He had a few tucked away this one was the only one without flaws. Yes its shigaraki rough clay. Can't believe I've got two kyusu-s recently that I've not only lusted after for many years/months but also thought were impossible to get any more.

Chip lovely Yamada.....I was close to buying but don't have room/tea money currently. Akira knows Yamada. I spoke to him about the artist and he said he's a really nice guy, humble with a great personality. Hopefully one day they will team up :lol:
what! he put me on a wait list saying that there are none left, all sold and now there actually are stocks! :shock:

tsk tsk!... :lol:
No he is out of stock for his japan stock which I also asked about and got a no a while back also on the waiting list. But I wanted to know about his Malaysian stock which he had a few left off.....I doubt you'd want to pay the price though. :oops: I think it was more the way in which I kept asking....which probably got annoying :P he probably has a general rule that he doesn't want to take stock away from the store to sell online which makes sense. Basically he'd probably end up with not a lot to sell in the store..

Feb 28th, '14, 22:31

by Chip » Feb 28th, '14, 22:31

Alex wrote:Chip lovely Yamada.....I was close to buying but don't have room/tea money currently. Akira knows Yamada. I spoke to him about the artist and he said he's a really nice guy, humble with a great personality. Hopefully one day they will team up :lol:
Sorry, Alex. I had wanted to comment on this and forgot.

Thanks. I wanted my first Yamada to be a Shudei (red) kyusu with the "raised lid" and got my wish. It is really beautiful to hold and behold.

It is also very thin walled.

I have been using it for a session every day since it arrived. There is something very special in the way it brews and pours.
Alex wrote:Thanks Chip. Is it coincidence that the Gisui and Yamada share similarities and feel? They both have 30 hole direct filters, both use a similar part joining technique, and both pay very close attention to the spout which also looks like they use same techniques. I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn they both got taught some stuff by the same person/people
Very interesting observations, Alex. This Yamada may have to be some consolation for me as a Gisui is likely not going to happen for me. :(

Mar 10th, '14, 10:13

by Alex » Mar 10th, '14, 10:13

Alex wrote:Sneak peek at the pot I just bought. Should be with me shortly. Was very pleased to be able to buy one of these :mrgreen: . Haven't bought any teaware for a year so definitely made up for it with the Gisui and the Tachi budget for the year is basically gone with these two pieces but actually I really haven't needed/wanted anything for a while so what the hell! Will have to use them like crazy to bring the cost per use right down into the pence :lol:
The attachment 20140226-IMG_4606.jpg is no longer available

got this one today! its stunning. Its around 300ml (something I didnt bother checking before buying - would have taken any size TBH), craftsman ship is excellent, clay is very nice to touch. Its going to need some breaking in I think but just had a superb session with it. Looks perfect sat next to the Gisui. Will post some proper pics soon once the sun pops out. I do feel very lucky to have got hold of both this and the Gisui and will treasure them dearly 8)

I noticed it was used in this article though before Akira sent it to me....which is cool 8)

http://hojotea.com/en/posts-76/

Edit: quick pic.....together at last :mrgreen:
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG (23.04 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Couple of observations about the clay. After using the Gisui for the last few weeks this clay makes tea very very smooth....this for me is neither good nor bad. Just different. Also it seasons sooooo fast. Only brewed like 4-5 times and I swear its changing already. Also it dries very fast although I notice that a lot when using a new pot....still this is faster then anything else I've seen.

Mar 11th, '14, 04:18

by Alex » Mar 11th, '14, 04:18

Forgot also not having used a larger Kyusu for quite some time just how nice the leaves smell in a big warm empty pot. I guess the large area on the bottom spreads the the leaves thin and warms them to a higher temp. The smell is out of this world....almost the best part of the session :lol:

+ Post Reply