Jul 5th, '10, 16:05
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: tea tray

by Victoria » Jul 5th, '10, 16:05

If you are pre-heating your pot or cups with boiling water, then yeah, it's convenient. Otherwise you could get by without it.

I would still advise getting one. If you sometimes just want to use it as a *regular* tray, you can take the slotted top off and use it in the conventional manner. That way you will have options. :)

Jul 5th, '10, 16:35

by debunix » Jul 5th, '10, 16:35

Victoria wrote:Otherwise you could get by without it.
I would add to that, if you're very well coordinated and never overfill, splatter, or bump your teawares into spilling....all situations where I love my tea trays.

Jul 5th, '10, 16:37

by Chip » Jul 5th, '10, 16:37

... not to mention TeaCat spills ... :evil: :lol:

Jul 5th, '10, 19:02

by nickE » Jul 5th, '10, 19:02

Marco wrote: I'd like to go to my tea-shelf and have something I can put my tea-ware on and carry it to my desk or balcony for a little relaxation and drinking.
In the moment I have just my towels for the drops of water and tea that fall on my desk and I am cleaning. - But that's not it.
So should I use a tray? Or something else?
I personally don't use a slotted tea tray, mostly because I haven't found one that I like yet. :lol: However, it is definitely true that it is not a necessary item.

You could get a tray like this one, too bad it is sold out. :cry:
http://artisticnippon.com/product/goldleaf/hku-012.html
Then use a small waste water collection bowl.

Jul 6th, '10, 12:53

by Poohblah » Jul 6th, '10, 12:53

nickE wrote:
Marco wrote: I'd like to go to my tea-shelf and have something I can put my tea-ware on and carry it to my desk or balcony for a little relaxation and drinking.
In the moment I have just my towels for the drops of water and tea that fall on my desk and I am cleaning. - But that's not it.
So should I use a tray? Or something else?
I personally don't use a slotted tea tray, mostly because I haven't found one that I like yet. :lol: However, it is definitely true that it is not a necessary item.

You could get a tray like this one, too bad it is sold out. :cry:
http://artisticnippon.com/product/goldleaf/hku-012.html
Then use a small waste water collection bowl.
When I saw that my immediate reaction was that it nicely matches my mahjong tiles. :roll:

Jul 6th, '10, 13:14

by debunix » Jul 6th, '10, 13:14

After seeing how quickly my bamboo trays develop water spots with regular use, I'd hesitate to buy something like that simply on the grounds that I'm too lazy to keep it properly polished.

But gorgeous, sigh!

Jul 6th, '10, 13:21

by Geekgirl » Jul 6th, '10, 13:21

Also, the bottoms of the rough sand pottery we all love so much would scratch the h-e-hockeysticks out of the tray unless you used coasters under everything.

Jul 6th, '10, 13:38

by nickE » Jul 6th, '10, 13:38

Geekgirl wrote:Also, the bottoms of the rough sand pottery we all love so much would scratch the h-e-hockeysticks out of the tray unless you used coasters under everything.
Ahh this is true, hadn't thought of that. I've always liked the look of that tea tray though. :D

Personally I use the towel method, works fine.

Jul 9th, '10, 06:58

by Alex » Jul 9th, '10, 06:58

I had a couple of the bamboo ones but they ended up leaking. In the end I bought a more expensive one from YUM tea on ebay.

There no glue in the top piece as its a single piece of wood and has a pull out plastic tray, was expensive but had it for a year now and it looks like new still. Used everyday for 100s of gongfu sessions. Its basically been permanently wet for a year :D

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8348/cimg7221.jpg

Jul 9th, '10, 15:25

by Marco » Jul 9th, '10, 15:25

Zensuji wrote:I had a couple of the bamboo ones but they ended up leaking. In the end I bought a more expensive one from YUM tea on ebay.

There no glue in the top piece as its a single piece of wood and has a pull out plastic tray, was expensive but had it for a year now and it looks like new still. Used everyday for 100s of gongfu sessions. Its basically been permanently wet for a year :D

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8348/cimg7221.jpg
Really a nice one - should think about an ebay-account.
Seems like everybody is buying his teaware and tea there :)

But tray or not - I think I really need a water-bowl too. Something in me doesn't like the idea of setting my tray under water - even though they are made for this.
And yes I think I'd use it rather as a normal tray - for serving my tea, transporting and so on.
Perhaps a nice placemat would do a good job too.
I have time to think about it, because the tray at Andao is still out of stock.

Jul 9th, '10, 15:47

by Victoria » Jul 9th, '10, 15:47

How's the Austria ebay? Any good tea stuff?

+ Post Reply