Jun 7th, '11, 09:05

Re: About Yixing clay and the current situation

by ChinesePottery » Jun 7th, '11, 09:05

brandon wrote:
Why?
If I knew.... these days building works seem to have almost finished and next time I come past it (on my way to a supermarket near there) and if I have my camera I'll try to take some pictures.

Jun 7th, '11, 09:13

by ChinesePottery » Jun 7th, '11, 09:13

A while back on a bicycle tour around the Dingshan area whilst [re]searching zisha clay and clay related items near here
we came across a lot of “old stuff” as some might call it. I call it Zeitzeugen.
Not many of those old mill stones are still in operation these days as heavier machinery took over, so most of them seem to have found their way here somehow. Not all of the stones in the pictures below would have been used to crush clay rocks but some where also popular for food and all other kinds of things that could be crushed with some benefit.
Zeitzeugen-gallery.jpg
Zeitzeugen-gallery.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 1228 times
For the occasional private moonlight clay sourcing on HuangLongShan some seem to occupy themselves with mill stones like above might still be used today. Privately.

Click-able images for larger resolution available in my blog here http://teaandpottery.wordpress.com/2011 ... eitzeugen/

Jun 8th, '11, 04:56

by ChinesePottery » Jun 8th, '11, 04:56

Yesterday I wrote about stone mills for clay and I just thought of a picture I took a while back in the little teapot museum inside Zisha Factory No.1

Item name: ShiMoHu / 石磨壶
Artist: WangYuMei / 王玉美

Jun 8th, '11, 08:58

by tortoise » Jun 8th, '11, 08:58

ChinesePottery wrote:A while back on a bicycle tour around the Dingshan area whilst [re]searching zisha clay and clay related items near here

Not many of those old mill stones are still in operation these days as heavier machinery took over, so most of them seem to have found their way here somehow. Not all of the stones in the pictures below would have been used to crush clay rocks but some where also popular for food and all other kinds of things that could be crushed with some benefit.

For the occasional private moonlight clay sourcing on HuangLongShan some seem to occupy themselves with mill stones like above might still be used today. Privately.
Not sure where this photo came from originally. Found it floating on tumblr.
Perhaps this millstone is enjoying its new incarnation:

(tumblr)http://bit.ly/mEh6BW
Last edited by tortoise on Jun 8th, '11, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 8th, '11, 09:05

by ChinesePottery » Jun 8th, '11, 09:05

mmhh, get's me thinking.... :)
I'll be in need for a new tea-table soon too.
Haven't decided on style yet but reusing one of those is certainly an option and eye-catcher

Jun 8th, '11, 09:21

by chicagopotter » Jun 8th, '11, 09:21

ChinesePottery wrote:Yesterday I wrote about stone mills for clay and I just thought of a picture I took a while back in the little teapot museum inside Zisha Factory No.1

Item name: ShiMoHu / 石磨壶
Artist: WangYuMei / 王玉美

Man, that's an awesome set!

Jun 8th, '11, 11:21

by tortoise » Jun 8th, '11, 11:21

ChinesePottery wrote:mmhh, get's me thinking.... :)
I'll be in need for a new tea-table soon too.
Haven't decided on style yet but reusing one of those is certainly an option and eye-catcher
I think it's an excellent idea. The stone may be a bit rough on the teaware, but there has got to be a solution for that.

Jun 11th, '11, 17:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jun 11th, '11, 17:39

+ Post Reply