Mar 3rd, '11, 10:50

Re: NEW CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVI

by hopeofdawn » Mar 3rd, '11, 10:50

Wow, Chip, that is seriously impressive! Are there particular hagi/chawan artists that you collect, or all of those by different artists?

Mar 3rd, '11, 12:51
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 3rd, '11, 12:51

David R. wrote:I guess the question is : how many parts of this "Journey into the Tea Cave" will there be !?!

Another one could be : how many will it take for my jaw not te be able to climb up ever again ! :lol:
I hope you recover very soon ... part 2 is coming. How many parts? You know me better than that don't you ... :wink:
Karmapla... wrote:I may have to join iannon in a "Clearance Sale" chant. :mrgreen:
Ummm, NO! :mrgreen:
Stentor wrote:Love it, Chip, a beautiful collection.
Also, nice tease by showing only a little of the other shelves in the background :) Many more parts to come I hope!
Yes, quite intentional ... as the eyes wander/wonder :mrgreen: from left to right. :twisted:
Stentor wrote:P.S. Nice thermometer friendly yuzamashi :)
Yes, this may be the MOST used piece of teaware! The thermometer just stands right in there, no falling out like most yuzamashi ... and I bought it from a German distributor ... hmmm, Keiko or something like that. Got it at the World Tea Expo.

It does not cool the water quite as fast, obviously, but this prevents me from having to rush due to water cooling too fast. Overall, it is a piece that has seen 1000's and 1000's of steeps, and I am quite pleased with it. Oh, I gauge the water level in it by the iron spots, heh, I know which spot equals 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.8 ounces.
Hopeofda... wrote:Wow, Chip, that is seriously impressive! Are there particular hagi/chawan artists that you collect, or all of those by different artists?
These are "ippaku-wan", Yunomi and guinomi. Chawan are kept somewhat seperate, mostly due to their size. So, the ippaku-wan-s look like small chawan, but they are too small.

In Hagi chawan, I have acquired works by Seigan, Deishi, and an unknown piece from 20-30ish years ago. Artisans I would like to add seem to cost a fortune since they mainly do one offs, so 500-1000's of $$$. Just not happening right now. :cry:

Fortunately we also have some wonderful TeawareArtisans and have pretty many from Cory Lum, Michael Coffee (ShyRabbit), Chris Chaney (ChicagoPotter), Shawn McGuire (Greenwood), ElmStudios, LittlePig ... and more to come!

Mar 3rd, '11, 13:24

by Chip » Mar 3rd, '11, 13:24

Heh, sitting, sipping sencha ... eyes slowly wander to the right ... to unit #2.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, comes with being in the TeaCave, you know, no natural light ... plus a pretty old, crappy camera that really needs to be replaced, but I would rather buy tea and teaware ...

The 2 tall narrow shelves contain "Western" TeawareArtisans' works, most are inspired by Japanese teaware. Most of these are our TeawareArtisans including Michael Coffee (ShyRabbit), Cory Lum, Chris Chaney (ChicagoPotter), Shawn McGuire (Greenwood), ElmStudios, LittlePig, ColoradoPu, MossBeach, Magougle (SP?) and more to come ... !

The larger shelves contain an ecclectic mix of Hagi and Bizen (top 2 shelves), then a shelf dedicated to Chado, then Korean, and bottom is Taiwanese. There are shelves below this, but no teaware due to CatAttacks. :evil:

On top, temporary home for some Hagi Chawan.

NEED MORE SHELVES!

Mar 3rd, '11, 17:12

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVI

by David R. » Mar 3rd, '11, 17:12

Good idea this new chapter ! It will give you room to present individually all of these cups ! :D

Mar 4th, '11, 02:54

by Oni » Mar 4th, '11, 02:54

Chip wrote:Heh, sitting, sipping sencha ... eyes slowly wander to the right ... to unit #2.

Sorry for the lack of clarity, comes with being in the TeaCave, you know, no natural light ... plus a pretty old, crappy camera that really needs to be replaced, but I would rather buy tea and teaware ...

The 2 tall narrow shelves contain "Western" TeawareArtisans' works, most are inspired by Japanese teaware. Most of these are our TeawareArtisans including Michael Coffee (ShyRabbit), Cory Lum, Chris Chaney (ChicagoPotter), Shawn McGuire (Greenwood), ElmStudios, LittlePig, ColoradoPu, MossBeach, Magougle (SP?) and more to come ... !

The larger shelves contain an ecclectic mix of Hagi and Bizen (top 2 shelves), then a shelf dedicated to Chado, then Korean, and bottom is Taiwanese. There are shelves below this, but no teaware due to CatAttacks. :evil:

On top, temporary home for some Hagi Chawan.

NEED MORE SHELVES!

Chip you have a really beautiful collection, and so many Hagi chawans, are you drinking matcha from them often? Hagi ceramics looks so natural, like drinking tea from rock moulded cups in nature.

Mar 4th, '11, 04:01
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 4th, '11, 04:01

Chip wrote:
NEED MORE SHELVES!
You are SO right! My wife keeps saying I have too much tea ware and I say "How is that possible?" It's not the quantity of the tea ware that is the problem, it's the lack of shelving!

Mar 4th, '11, 14:39

by Tobias » Mar 4th, '11, 14:39

A couple of new arrivals:

Petr Novák shino cup:
Shino.jpg
Shino.jpg (13.66 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Meiji period? Chataku:
Chataku1.jpg
Chataku1.jpg (14.75 KiB) Viewed 1286 times

Mar 4th, '11, 17:18

by woozl » Mar 4th, '11, 17:18

Hey Chip,
Show us the kyusu vault :P

Here is some eye candy :shock:
http://chatouroom.yuki-mura.net/

Be sure to check the Seigan pics

Mar 4th, '11, 18:13

by AdamMY » Mar 4th, '11, 18:13

woozl wrote:Hey Chip,
Show us the kyusu vault :P

Here is some eye candy :shock:
http://chatouroom.yuki-mura.net/

Be sure to check the Seigan pics

Woozl, that vendor has been talked about before, at least an Ebay vendor that links to that galleries website has. Here is a link:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... meared+ink

It in general was not favorable at all, so while the pieces look great in the gallery and are likely what they are said to be the ebay page linking to it is questionable.

Mar 4th, '11, 22:25

by woozl » Mar 4th, '11, 22:25

Looks good
taste ...mmmmm....

thanks!

Chip
But where is the kyusu vault?

Mar 5th, '11, 02:54

by Tadpole » Mar 5th, '11, 02:54

Yikes, Chip! Teacave indeed.

OK, I can share now! I just found all the setting adjuster thingies on my camera. Not the worst pics for slightly shaky hands, and indoor light. This is my shorty shelf unit that holds half of my teaware collection. Things I don't use are carefully tucked away in a drawer somewhere else. Stuff rotates on and off the shelves.

From top to bottom shelves:
An iron cauldron for burning incense
6 oz Taiwanese ceramic teapot, 2 powder green Ru Kiln cups, 2 Longquan cups
3 oz Ru Kiln hexagonal gaiwan from Dragon Tea House, 2 white Ru Kiln cups
"Flying Angel" ceramic teaset from HouDe, 2 Serpent's Eye teacups from YunnanSourcing
6 oz glass chahai, 4 oz mini glass teapot, porcelain chai & 4 oz gaiwan
bamboo coasters, 2.5 oz demitasse cups
DSC01089.JPG
DSC01089.JPG (36.55 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
Just the Ru Kiln gaiwan from DTH:
DSC01099.JPG
DSC01099.JPG (21.78 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
My 2 clay pots for oolongs. Red 3 oz for gaoshancha, brown 4.5 oz Xi-Shi for Tiekuanyin:
DSC01102.JPG
DSC01102.JPG (21.39 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Mar 5th, '11, 03:02

by Chip » Mar 5th, '11, 03:02

Beauties Tobias and Tadpole! :mrgreen:

... and ... eyes continue to move to the right ... more Hagi and washi style canisters.

Woozl, some production kyusu sneaking into the photo on the left ... more kyusu to come.

Mar 5th, '11, 03:19

by greentam » Mar 5th, '11, 03:19

Those two pieces in the upper left corner are just beautiful!

Mar 5th, '11, 09:40

by exmechanistic » Mar 5th, '11, 09:40

Tea this morning:

Mar 5th, '11, 17:06

by rabbit » Mar 5th, '11, 17:06

Chip, you're collection is amazing! Really really nice! I'm super excited because my tea from lifeinteacup and my 40ml yixing from DTH both arrived today!!!

This is my bowl from ElmStudios and my new teapot.

Image Image