May 16th, '11, 23:37

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVI

by odarwin » May 16th, '11, 23:37

Drax wrote:Thanks, odarwin!

They definitely did have a bit of a funky odor to them. The double-walled one especially had a very stable-earthy smell.

I washed out the two smaller ones and scrubbed them w/ a sponge (no soap). And then I aired them out with a floor fan... oh, probably 36 hours total (rotating the three). I could smell absolutely nothing after about a day, but I kept it going to be sure (and I tested my nose on other odors to make sure I wasn't stopped up :D ).

The larger ones appear to be pretty porous. It's harder to tell about the double-walled one, so we'll see.

Now my big dilemma is whether to risk storing them outside on the deck...! :lol: On the other option, I don't turn on my AC during the summer until I get home, so they'd still get some good heat/humidity exposure inside.
i have 2 small yi xing jars, and i got it from here:
http://www.jdart.cn/

since it is small and fits in a large stainless steel pot, i boiled it in for a few minutes, air dried, and sun dried for a few days. its really sunny here by the way. thing is... if i leave it all by itself empty and lid on, after a few days, there will be an earthy smell once you open the jar. now that gets me worried to be honest. and im thinking if that smell would affect the tea that i will be putting in it for storage. as i plan on putting more expensive stuff in it... ie some 70's loose raw tea i got from wistaria, and maybe some 10 year old raw like the blue mark and yyx...

right now the jars are sitting in my room and not being used until i figure out what to do... and im waiting for someone here to bring this up to topic so i can get other peoples insights on yi xing jar storage. so any insights would really be helpful. i know they only recommend aged raw for yi xing storage, and they say its useless to put ripe tea in yi xing. i dont know for young raw thou... but i think they also say not really recommended for young raw too...?

May 17th, '11, 00:26

by Abracadaver! » May 17th, '11, 00:26

I have a large jar that had a really intense and unpleasant raw clay smell when I first got it. It was too big to boil on the stove, so I would fill it with boiling water and dump it which didn't help. Finally, I filled it with boiling water and a few chunks of cheap sheng and let it sit overnight. After I dumped and dried it, I followed herb master's advice for dealing with new canisters and filled it with cheap dry tea leaf and let it be for a week. At the end of the week, I dumped the leaf and let it air out for a couple of days. That seemed to do the trick. it's been odor free ever since.

May 17th, '11, 07:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » May 17th, '11, 07:08

:oops:

That reminds me!!

I have a dozen canisters that have been holding cheap tea, for 4 months-ish :lol:

Time to clean them out and open some more of my Purchases :wink:

May 17th, '11, 07:17

by Drax » May 17th, '11, 07:17

Hm, interesting! I checked the larger (empty) pot last night and still no smell... I suppose not all jars are created equally? Though I am a little paranoid now, haha.

I have a couple of smaller yixing jars that I picked up on eBay, and never noticed a smell out of them. Interesting, though.

I'm honestly curious what the rationale is for only using jars to store aged pu'erh. If you find out, please let me know (maybe another thread, though... :lol: ).

Meanwhile, I'll admit that the main purpose of the jars is to store bulk tuos that I don't want to try to cram into my pumidor -- but I also wanted it to look nice (i.e. not a burlap sack). :mrgreen:

May 18th, '11, 20:08

by bonjiri » May 18th, '11, 20:08

1guinomiCOMP2.jpg
1guinomiCOMP2.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
rolling into summer, post spring

i can see chilled nihonshu or double fermented rice wine being served on warm summer days on the horizon

in preparation, i threw a doublewalled guinomi or sake cup and carved it. this double walled design protects the chilled nihonshu from my warm hands

cheers

now.... what color shall i make it ?

May 20th, '11, 11:59

by Alex » May 20th, '11, 11:59

Got a few peices over the last 3 months so thought I'd post them up all at once.

First up a fantastic Korean cup from Scott at chinese-tea-culture.com If you havent ordered from him yet, do so, he's awesome. This cup has already become my favorite....like drinking from a big soft cloud. Shape is so good in the hand
1.jpg
1.jpg (9.02 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Also some lovely little blueish cups from him
3.jpg
3.jpg (9.55 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
A pitcher from china cha dao
4.jpg
4.jpg (21.84 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

May 20th, '11, 12:00

by Alex » May 20th, '11, 12:00

......And a 150ml Xi Shi from Stephane @ teamasters which does great things with green oolongs and even after a couple of months I still love to hold and stoke it :shock: this little beauty turned up on Valentine's day and has been used at least once a day since.
2.jpg
2.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

May 22nd, '11, 04:05

by lekke » May 22nd, '11, 04:05

bonjiri wrote:
1guinomiCOMP2.jpg
now.... what color shall i make it ?
You may call me weird but I like it just the way it is!

May 22nd, '11, 04:09

by lekke » May 22nd, '11, 04:09

Just did a quick photographing session of my only Hagi. I guess I am too infatuated so you guys will forgive me for dropping in just like this...
(I did show it off once before)

May 22nd, '11, 09:38

by iannon » May 22nd, '11, 09:38

lekke wrote:Just did a quick photographing session of my only Hagi. I guess I am too infatuated so you guys will forgive me for dropping in just like this...
(I did show it off once before)

Yay! another Tawarade! awesome. I love the way it feels in my hand personally

May 22nd, '11, 11:05

by Chip » May 22nd, '11, 11:05

Yikes, 2 pages of showing off since I posted ... I just cannot keep up with everyone's wares! :mrgreen:

Beautiful newbies Alex, Drax and Olivier ... and anyone I missed. :mrgreen:

And your only Hagi is always welcome Lekke ... maybe there is a new Hagi in your very near future!?!? :wink:

May 23rd, '11, 11:50

by lekke » May 23rd, '11, 11:50

iannon wrote:
lekke wrote:
Yay! another Tawarade! awesome. I love the way it feels in my hand personally
Is yours by any chance the right one on these photos?
http://tinyurl.com/3gcnx3t
Beacuse I got the left one!

May 25th, '11, 13:45

by wyardley » May 25th, '11, 13:45

Most of these pots (and this cabinet) have probably been pictured here already, but a professional photographer got this shot of my teaware in its native habitat, and I think the shot came out pretty well:

[Click for the larger version]
[photo credit: Stephen Cheng, Stephen Cheng Photography]
Last edited by wyardley on May 25th, '11, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

May 25th, '11, 13:54
Vendor Member

by TIM » May 25th, '11, 13:54

Very Professional Will :D

May 25th, '11, 14:42

by ikpatje » May 25th, '11, 14:42

Very very nice foto Will.