Jun 24th, '11, 10:14

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVI

by debunix » Jun 24th, '11, 10:14

So glad the shibo arrived ok! Those delicate bits of crawling glaze worried me a bit.

And when do we get pictures of your baby in use with some gyokuro?

Jun 24th, '11, 11:09

by lkj23 » Jun 24th, '11, 11:09

debunix wrote:So glad the shibo arrived ok! Those delicate bits of crawling glaze worried me a bit.

And when do we get pictures of your baby in use with some gyokuro?
hahahhahah yes, very delicate bits of glaze, but is in perfec condition, very well packaged, thank you again.

I want to use now, I can´t wait. Petr´r recommendations are put hot water which I have done after receive and wait at least one night to dry :shock: :shock: noooooooooo!!! one day more. I´m anxious to try it and to discover gyokuro taste :P :P

The glace of the cup after puting hot water began to cracked, very nice effect.

Jun 24th, '11, 12:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by tieguanyinfan » Jun 24th, '11, 12:45

I had the chance to visit Guangzhou last summer (highly recommend paying a visit to the tea district as it's heaven for teafanatics) and was instantly hooked on gongfu cha, also finally managed to figure out what the teapot that was sitting on my shelf was intended for. Since my trip I've managed to build up a beginner's collection of stuff, although they're not high quality as long as they brew nice Tieguanyin and Puerh I'm a happy camper ^-^
Hope you enjoy the pics.

-this one kind of reminds me of the birds from Angry Birds :P

I use the teaboat from time to time, but mostly I just keep it simple:
Last edited by tieguanyinfan on Jun 24th, '11, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 24th, '11, 12:54
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 24th, '11, 12:54

The first one is good sand Tieguany ~ T

Jun 24th, '11, 13:04

by tieguanyinfan » Jun 24th, '11, 13:04

TIM wrote:The first one is good sand Tieguany ~ T
Sorry I'm not quite up to par on the specifics of zisha, could you explain about the good sand?

Jun 24th, '11, 13:08
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 24th, '11, 13:08

tieguanyinfan wrote:
Sorry I'm not quite up to par on the specifics of zisha, could you explain about the good sand?
zi = purple, sha = sand.
Sand is a better grade then clay = ni

Most of the yixing now-a-day is made of clay rather then sand. But vendors will still call it sha.

The darker one is a ni, not clay and it could be a Taiwanese or Chiu Chow wheel turned clay.

Jun 24th, '11, 13:15

by tieguanyinfan » Jun 24th, '11, 13:15

TIM wrote:
tieguanyinfan wrote:
zi = purple, sha = sand.

Most of the yixing now-a-day is made of clay rather then sand. But vendors will still call it sha.

The darker one is a ni, not clay and it could be a Taiwanese or Chiu Chow wheel turned clay.
Ah I see. I guess it was a good thing to buy the other/last teapot (you can see it in the background). At first I was hesitant since it was covered in what seemed like 10 years of dust. It was pretty hard to scrub off the dust, did about 3-4 rounds of scrubbing.

Jun 25th, '11, 05:00
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jun 25th, '11, 05:00

TIM wrote: zi = purple, sha = sand.

The terminology here is a bit different than in the west. Here, in China, the teapots are never called Yixing. Yixing is the city they are made in and it does not refer to the tea ware made there. Instead, all pottery made in Yixing are called zisha, whether it be tea pots, teacups, tea pets, or even statues, and no matter what clay is used.

Zini, Zhuni, Duanni, and Benshanlvni, to name a few, are all different clay types, but they all fall under the name of Zisha. No matter what the quality, a Zhuni teapot would be called Zhuni, for the clay type, and never calle Zhusha. Zhusha, is actually cinnabar used in making red lacquer.

I know in the West, a lot of people call them Yixing, but you would not hear that term here. Just a bit from the Chinese side of it for you.

Jun 25th, '11, 10:18

by Nenugal » Jun 25th, '11, 10:18

IMG_7698.jpg
IMG_7698.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Sencha in my Shawn/Greenwoodstudio senchawan. I really like this one, very nice shape and a beautiful glaze.

Jun 25th, '11, 10:42

by lkj23 » Jun 25th, '11, 10:42

Very nice :) Senchawan¿? is smaller than chawan?

Anyone know if tea bowl is the same as chawan?, I see a lot of tea bowls that seems chawans

Jun 25th, '11, 11:03

by Nenugal » Jun 25th, '11, 11:03

lkj23 wrote:Very nice :) Senchawan¿? is smaller than chawan?

Anyone know if tea bowl is the same as chawan?, I see a lot of tea bowls that seems chawans
Thanks! If I understand correctly, wan (or o-wan) means bowl, so chawan is directly translated teabowl, but the chawan name is primarily used for matcha bowls. I don't know how common the sencha wan name is, but I use it to distinguish low bowl-shaped sencha cups from taller cups ("yunomi"). This one is approximately 235 ml, 9 cm wide and 6 cm high. That is smaller than a normal chawan, although shape-wise it would be fine for that, however the size is very nice for sencha.

In my experience (experts please correct me if I'm missing something), a typical chawan is usually around 11-14 cm wide and 6-9 cm tall depending on the shape, but then there are different types like the summer type (hira-chawan) that is wider and lower, winter type (tsutsu-chawan) that is taller and narrower, and picnic/outdoors (nodate/ippuku) chawan that is usually both narrower (~10 cm) and lower than the "normal" chawan. So this sencha-wan could also be used as a nodate chawan, I guess :)

EDIT: I see now that the etsy description of this cup actually said "teabowl". If I understand correctly, people use the term teabowl for anything bowlshaped that can contain tea (including but not limited to matcha) :mrgreen:
Last edited by Nenugal on Jun 25th, '11, 11:18, edited 2 times in total.

Jun 25th, '11, 11:13

by lkj23 » Jun 25th, '11, 11:13

Thank you very much!!! very well explained. It seems that winter and summer shapes are to cool or to keep warm the tea.

I learn something everyday with this forum :)

Jun 25th, '11, 12:36

by GreenwoodStudio » Jun 25th, '11, 12:36

Thanks for posting Nenugal :D Glad your liking it. That glaze is nearly impossible to photograph well.

Jun 25th, '11, 12:51

by lkj23 » Jun 25th, '11, 12:51

My first shibo :D :D

Jun 26th, '11, 11:46

by lkj23 » Jun 26th, '11, 11:46

Bamboo handle teapot and long ging tea