Jan 23rd, '14, 09:14
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '14, 09:14

Stentor wrote:Beautiful, Chip. I love Deishi's work. What's the size on the kyusu? Looks smallish for a Hagi kyusu.

The Kashun pieces are nice as well. The yunomi looks very "grippy" and I bet the flared lip makes it comfortable to drink from. Nice balance of form and function.

I agree that a cylindrical yunomi hast to be filled to 1/2 at least, otherwise it just doesn't feel right for some reason. With more tapered vessels it's less of an issue. It's all subjective, though, and occasionally I will drink a small amount from a large yunomi.
Thank you, Stentor.

The wan dwarfs the kyusu a bit, it is probably close to 300 ml, 10 ounces. Maybe more. This time, I brewed a little less than 50 ounces, so it was certainly less than half full.

The Kashun Yunomi is very nice to hold and sip tea from.

Jan 23rd, '14, 15:27

by eyvind » Jan 23rd, '14, 15:27

Finally attempting to add images.
Here is another Mukuhara Kashun piece- a houhin this time.
gyokuro_hagi.JPG
gyokuro_hagi.JPG (41.73 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
The dish containing the leaf is from two local potter sisters called "Jenny's blues". Usually use it for a dipping sauce bowl. The others are sake cups.

Here's the houhin with leaf and water just before the lid goes on.
houhin_hagi.JPG
houhin_hagi.JPG (42.04 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
The clay beads the water very well. The clay that Kashun uses does not seem very porous.

Jan 23rd, '14, 16:33

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '14, 16:33

Always a pleasure viewing others Kashun. :mrgreen:

Hokujo Tokoname Kyusu has joined the fam. Joined here with Eiichi "Snowdrifts" Yunomi which has a nice and subtle taper to it and a Shawn of Greenwood Studios Yuzamashi.

Jan 23rd, '14, 21:55

by kikula » Jan 23rd, '14, 21:55

yalokinh wrote:
debunix wrote:A gingerbread house incarnate!
I was thinking a kind of sea foam-sand thing, but gingerbread works better!
I thought of sea foam too, the way it splatters in glorious sandy globlets in a hurricane. Whenever a big storm whipped up at the beach town where I spent my summers I'd rush to stand in the surf and get foam bombed. In any case it's a great yunomi; my finger hovered over that little button and I decided to be frugal - glad a teachatter made a home for it.
I'm aching to get my hands on some clay. Does that always happen? :)

Jan 23rd, '14, 23:13

by debunix » Jan 23rd, '14, 23:13

I also thought of seafoam, but it was such a tasty tempting confection that gingerbread seemed more apt, as I wanted to eat it.

Jan 24th, '14, 21:53

by kikula » Jan 24th, '14, 21:53

Yeah, that is a bit more appetizing. :)
However you cut it, a nifty item.

Christmas after Christmas for me this month - rcv'd a beautiful little George Gledhill guinomi and a great oozy crawly shino yunomi by him too, and also a lovely little delicate azure blue soda fired yunomi from Cory Lum; still waiting for the Petr yunomi. Such unprecedented extravagance! This talk is pointless here without a camera, I know, but I spend all of my little discretionary money on teaware instead.

Jan 24th, '14, 23:06

by Chip » Jan 24th, '14, 23:06

Petr-Yaki Extreme Ent pot ... this works really well for asamushi. The interior is not glazed and definitely impacts/enhances the profile of sencha.

I likely took 25 photos of this pot today, and each photo angle was really interesting. It is very photogenic ... even with my phone camera.

Jan 24th, '14, 23:19

by debunix » Jan 24th, '14, 23:19

It's cute, perky, and has a lovely branchlike spout--very ent-like.

Jan 26th, '14, 22:34

by debunix » Jan 26th, '14, 22:34

A pair of new cups from Shyrabbit (Michael Coffee), on an overcast day in the garden. This was the cup that bowled me over

and when I'd reserved that one, I went back over some of the pieces I'd favorited before, and amazingly, this fiery beauty was still available

I love viewing the repeated pattern across the cup as I drink

Much happiness from first opening to first brewing, to their feel in my hands when washing up or arranging them for photos in the garden. The little cup is just a bit larger than my 'In Praise of Shadows' piece (whose stand was borrowed for these images), and like that cup, will be super for gongfu sessions with special teas and smaller brewing vessels; the larger cup may get some use for non-teas as well as tea. It's got a wonderful little curl at the bottom of the cup

and a gorgeous curtains of color slick and glowing down the sides

(and more about them in Shyrabbit's topic here)

Jan 28th, '14, 12:58

by Fuut » Jan 28th, '14, 12:58

Fuut wrote:Last night i let myself go..

These 2 haven't even been shipped out yet, but i couldn't stop looking at the photo's today so I'll share them here too:)

Better and in-my-hand pictures incoming:)
Woohoo these 2 arrived safely today. The Yunomi is bigger than i thought but pleasant, and the chawan is truly stunning, and fits quiet nicely in my hands. Photo's coming some time:)

Instead of a double post edit:
debunix wrote:A pair of new cups from Shyrabbit (Michael Coffee), on an overcast day in the garden. This was the cup that bowled me over

(and more about them in Shyrabbit's topic here)
You're soo lucky to have the weather to go outside;), its near freezing point here and my garden isn't near as nice as yours!

Jan 28th, '14, 13:25

NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by debunix » Jan 28th, '14, 13:25

In the upcoming drought summer, though, my garden will be as brown and sad as many of those currently freezing are green and lush....

Jan 28th, '14, 13:53

by Fuut » Jan 28th, '14, 13:53

May yeah maybe, but my garden isn't very zen even in the summer;) But i plan to change that upcoming summer, and until then i have a spare room which will become a tea-room! So take that garden-goer!

Jan 28th, '14, 15:02

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 28th, '14, 15:02

debunix wrote:In the upcoming drought summer, though, my garden will be as brown and sad as many of those currently freezing are green and lush....
Debunix, very nice cups. The cup that "bowled you over" is really a special cup!

Yes, things are looking pretty bleak here in California. People are out hiking in the emptied bottoms of nearby Folsom Lake scouting old mining towns that are normally submerged. Luckily our garden is on a drip system but that is only one part of the problem. Hopefully we get a late winter that shows up with vigor! And I was so looking forward to the moody tea drinking weather of winter.
I likely took 25 photos of this pot today, and each photo angle was really interesting. It is very photogenic ... even with my phone camera.
Chip, I've really enjoyed seeing the recent flurry of photos of your teaware. I had recently been looking through old threads and had encountered "Chip shots" and found myself wondering why I hadn't seen more. Like I said, it's been great to see more, especially all the diversity in your kyusu collection!

Blessings!

Feb 10th, '14, 14:27

by bonjiri » Feb 10th, '14, 14:27

sharing a fun new chawan i made

will test drive her this afternoon
chawanYellowBiidoroSML.jpg
chawanYellowBiidoroSML.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
mixed some indigo ash. wondering if the ash / biidoro was affected ?

have a wonderful day !

cory

Feb 10th, '14, 17:56

by AdamMY » Feb 10th, '14, 17:56

bonjiri wrote:sharing a fun new chawan i made

will test drive her this afternoon
chawanYellowBiidoroSML.jpg
mixed some indigo ash. wondering if the ash / biidoro was affected ?

have a wonderful day !

cory
I dear say that is a levitating site! How did you get it to hover like that? I always enjoy how you carve the bottom of the chawan to give it a floating appearance, but this one seriously does look like it is floating.

Great chawan, and great biidoro!

+ Post Reply