Nov 15th, '15, 18:03

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Zacherywolf7 » Nov 15th, '15, 18:03

Out of curiosity (my apologies as this has probably been said somewhere on this forum) how do the teas put into a cup affect how it cracks on the inside when the seller/potter has said it will and you can already see the lines where it will? Will aged puerh make it darker and more noticeable as compared to taiwanese high mountain oolong?

Thanks.

Nov 15th, '15, 21:04

by pedant » Nov 15th, '15, 21:04

Zacherywolf7 wrote:Out of curiosity (my apologies as this has probably been said somewhere on this forum) how do the teas put into a cup affect how it cracks on the inside when the seller/potter has said it will and you can already see the lines where it will? Will aged puerh make it darker and more noticeable as compared to taiwanese high mountain oolong?

Thanks.
given that even vibrant green tea residues seem to fade to yellow and then to brown (judging from tea stains on surfaces i've neglected to wipe up...), i kind of doubt there would be much of a difference. it just might take a bit longer for dark staining in teaware cracks to build up with lighter colored teas.

Dec 8th, '15, 17:28
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Dec 8th, '15, 17:28

Here the some of the shop pots we use here at Mad Monk Tea, we have been doing a lot of side handle brewing lately!

Dec 13th, '15, 13:28

by Seeker » Dec 13th, '15, 13:28

I love your corner shelving display! Looks beautiful, especially against the bamboo and wood.

Apr 30th, '16, 12:46

Not really about the pots or cups....

by debunix » Apr 30th, '16, 12:46

This is not about the pots or cups, but about a couple of new non-ceramic items from Darjeeling.cz that are so perfect and need to be shared.

First up is a tea scoop and tea pick from Ondřej Sedlák, which does a great job of showing off this Jin Chuan Xiang Tun Lu from last year's amazing green tea tasting set from Tea Habitat, quietly photogenic but not overwhelming the clear display of the leaf:

The pick does a good job of herding leaves into smaller pots that are narrower than the opening of the scoop.

And next is a tea ware pouch from Studio Edgart, which cradles and protects my teacups....

.....so they are snug as a bug in a rug....

....when the strings are tugged...

....and can't fall out while being carried from my office to meeting or workrooms around the campus.

It's much better looking than the little basket I used to use, plus: no drips.

May 1st, '16, 13:35

Re: Not really about the pots or cups....

by JRS22 » May 1st, '16, 13:35

debunix wrote:This is not about the pots or cups, but about a couple of new non-ceramic items from Darjeeling.cz that are so perfect and need to be shared.

First up is a tea scoop and tea pick from Ondřej Sedlák, which does a great job of showing off this Jin Chuan Xiang Tun Lu from last year's amazing green tea tasting set from Tea Habitat, quietly photogenic but not overwhelming the clear display of the leaf:

The pick does a good job of herding leaves into smaller pots that are narrower than the opening of the scoop.
I bought two of these wooden spoons last year as souvenirs. The end of the handle works well as a tea scoop for pots with small openings. The wood grain isn't ideal for showing off the tea, but then the spoon was probably made for soup.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (49.92 KiB) Viewed 2185 times

May 1st, '16, 16:44

by debunix » May 1st, '16, 16:44

That is a lovely piece, but the wood is so striking it would detract from the tea in a photograph. But looking out for interesting wooden spoons of an appropriate size is a good idea for additions to the collection.....

May 1st, '16, 18:43

by JRS22 » May 1st, '16, 18:43

This spoon is designed to be an eating utensil, not a cooking tool. It's less than 6" long. I wasn't buying it for tea so that's a bonus. I also bought two tiny cups that were meant for dipping sauces. They work well as gyokuro cups for me.

May 2nd, '16, 21:08

by Griff » May 2nd, '16, 21:08

@debunix Those are beautiful accessories, and your photography is absolutely eye-popping. :shock: Very nice! :mrgreen:

May 2nd, '16, 21:28

by debunix » May 2nd, '16, 21:28

Griff wrote:@debunix Those are beautiful accessories, and your photography is absolutely eye-popping. :shock: Very nice! :mrgreen:
thanks

May 2nd, '16, 22:22
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 2nd, '16, 22:22

I like the spoon. Looks like coconut palm heartwood. I use chopsticks made out of it. It's good stuff and durable!

May 3rd, '16, 09:48

by JRS22 » May 3rd, '16, 09:48

jayinhk wrote:I like the spoon. Looks like coconut palm heartwood. I use chopsticks made out of it. It's good stuff and durable!
That could be. I bought the spoons in Cambodia, in Siem Reap, and there were no matching chopsticks. I have chopsticks from Thailand that came with matching spoons, but this was from a workshop for teaching people how to carve, and the shop was really aimed at tourists.

May 3rd, '16, 09:58
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 3rd, '16, 09:58

JRS22 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I like the spoon. Looks like coconut palm heartwood. I use chopsticks made out of it. It's good stuff and durable!
That could be. I bought the spoons in Cambodia, in Siem Reap, and there were no matching chopsticks. I have chopsticks from Thailand that came with matching spoons, but this was from a workshop for teaching people how to carve, and the shop was really aimed at tourists.
I got a ten-pack of coconut palm wood chopsticks in a supermarket in Vietnam...coconut palm wood is so tough they'll probably outlast me! The same wood is used for fighting sticks in Filipino martial arts today, and while not quite as heavy as the ebony that is classically used for heavy sticks, it is far more durable.

I just learned it's a pretty eco-friendly alternative to hardwood, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_timber

Jun 4th, '16, 16:13

by hopeofdawn » Jun 4th, '16, 16:13

After travelling away from home for the last three weeks, I FINALLY had time to sit down this morning on my freshly-scrubbed balcony, and enjoy a beautiful morning with tea. So I thought I'd share. Teapot and cup by Petr, server by Yi Yong Cheol--boy, I miss his work!
Attachments
morningtea-4.jpg
morningtea-4.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
morningtea-1.jpg
morningtea-1.jpg (67.48 KiB) Viewed 2039 times

Jun 5th, '16, 01:50

by jpo1933 » Jun 5th, '16, 01:50

great posts recently!
And who snapped up most of the gisui pots in AN? :lol:
Guess he's back on the wheel again?

+ Post Reply