Jul 12th, '11, 19:03

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Fuyou » Jul 12th, '11, 19:03

Be aware that one of the outcomes of chronic Teaware Acquisition Disorder is the creation of a mini-museum.

Here is an older Chosen-Garatsu, or Korean Karatsu chawan. This bowl is from around the second half of the 19th century, but I don't let that stop me from using it!

Jul 12th, '11, 19:26

by lkj23 » Jul 12th, '11, 19:26

Fuyou wrote:Be aware that one of the outcomes of chronic Teaware Acquisition Disorder is the creation of a mini-museum.

hahahahahahahahahaha that´s very good :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My TAD have make me call this morning to the Ceramics School of Valencia to enroll in a course and learn about it hahaha this is a fuc_king crazy disease :lol: :lol:

I really like that chawan, love the shape!!!

Jul 12th, '11, 19:36

by debunix » Jul 12th, '11, 19:36

lkj23 wrote:My TAD have make me call this morning to the Ceramics School of Valencia to enroll in a course
This is very clearly a grave case. You could already be beyond hope!

Jul 12th, '11, 19:44

by lkj23 » Jul 12th, '11, 19:44

debunix wrote:
lkj23 wrote:My TAD have make me call this morning to the Ceramics School of Valencia to enroll in a course
This is very clearly a grave case. You could already be beyond hope!

hahahah yes, very grave, I´m fascinated with glazed and shapes, I´d love to learn and do it, but I don´t know if I will can access to it because I have studied science, not arts :(

Jul 12th, '11, 20:58

by oak » Jul 12th, '11, 20:58

[quote=

Image[/quote]

It's beautiful¡

Jul 12th, '11, 21:25

by oak » Jul 12th, '11, 21:25

Fuyou wrote:

I love it

Jul 12th, '11, 21:26

by David R. » Jul 12th, '11, 21:26

An incredible Yoshiki kyusu. Congrats !

Jul 12th, '11, 21:29

by oak » Jul 12th, '11, 21:29

Adam, I like the Hagi Project.

Jul 13th, '11, 00:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by tieguanyinfan » Jul 13th, '11, 00:07

Tekoppen wrote:Hi! Some requent aquisitions of mine :D
Yixingish, pretty cool tea set with leaf-and-insect theme

http://texteromte.wordpress.com/2011/05 ... -teservis/
How much did this cost you? I remember seeing exactly the same one at Yixing No.1 Factory.

Jul 13th, '11, 07:20

by lkj23 » Jul 13th, '11, 07:20

David R. wrote:An incredible Yoshiki kyusu. Congrats !
oak wrote: It's beautiful¡

Thank you :wink: :wink:

Jul 13th, '11, 07:53

by lkj23 » Jul 13th, '11, 07:53

oak wrote:Adam, I like the Hagi Project.

Yes, nice page and really great collection, I really love your Noutomi and Mukuhara houhins

Jul 13th, '11, 10:45

by hopeofdawn » Jul 13th, '11, 10:45

Fuyou wrote:Be aware that one of the outcomes of chronic Teaware Acquisition Disorder is the creation of a mini-museum.

Here is an older Chosen-Garatsu, or Korean Karatsu chawan. This bowl is from around the second half of the 19th century, but I don't let that stop me from using it!

What a gorgeous chawan--normally I'm not all that fond of chawan with an uneven lip, but that one just seems to flow beautifully.

Odd question for the resident chawan/matcha experts--in reading about tea ceremony, I noticed that one side of the bowl is designated as the shomen (face) or front of the bowl, and that you're supposed to drink from the opposite side. Is there any particular aesthetic or rules that go into deciding which side should be the face, as there are in bonsai? Or is it entirely up to the preference of the owner?

Jul 14th, '11, 13:21

by Tekoppen » Jul 14th, '11, 13:21

tieguanyinfan wrote:
Tekoppen wrote:Hi! Some requent aquisitions of mine :D
Yixingish, pretty cool tea set with leaf-and-insect theme

http://texteromte.wordpress.com/2011/05 ... -teservis/
How much did this cost you? I remember seeing exactly the same one at Yixing No.1 Factory.
Totally, the teapot, four cups and a teatray costed me less than 400 Swedish crowns, equal to 60 dollars. I bougth the set on Tradera, a Swedish equivalent to Ebay.

Jul 14th, '11, 13:30

by oak » Jul 14th, '11, 13:30

oak wrote:Chip has many different tea cups, and with different sizes. Could anyone tell me when to use a size and when another? or where I could read about this issue?. Thank you.
TBH, 70% of the cup size for me is based upon mood. 30% is based on the tea. Sometimes I feel like a larger wan, sometimes a guinomi.

I never know til after I pick the tea, the pot ... and then decide on cup(s).

There are the particular teas that have more of a requirement for size, such as gyokuro, matcha ... but othewise, mood reigns supreme.[/quote]
debunix wrote:
Chip wrote:TBH, 70% of the cup size for me is based upon mood. 30% is based on the tea. Sometimes I feel like a larger wan, sometimes a guinomi.

I never know til after I pick the tea, the pot ... and then decide on cup(s).
Sometimes it goes the other way round for me--want to use a particular cup and need to drink the right tea for that cup, e.g., not hot-brewed puerh in large deep thin-walled Hagi.....but mostly it is mood, whim, what have you.
Here is my new tea pot:

I begin to understand that the preparation, the sensations produced by the colors, smells, tastes of the tea is very personal.

I'm back to making tea black in the teapot new and I don't boiled water, it is surprising how different it was all the lighter color, the taste is not so strong, the delicate scent, and this only with varying temperature, there were no problems in the infusion to allow more time because the color does not darkened more, and no problems with caffeine.Thank you Chip and Debunix

Jul 14th, '11, 19:31

by Fuyou » Jul 14th, '11, 19:31

lkj23, oak, and hopeofdawn, thank you very much.
Hopeofda... wrote:
Fuyou wrote:Odd question for the resident chawan/matcha experts--in reading about tea ceremony, I noticed that one side of the bowl is designated as the shomen (face) or front of the bowl, and that you're supposed to drink from the opposite side. Is there any particular aesthetic or rules that go into deciding which side should be the face, as there are in bonsai? Or is it entirely up to the preference of the owner?
The face is the side with the most aesthetic interest. In most cases, it's pretty easy to determine which side is the face. Whether through painted decorations or though natural occurances, one particular feature will generally jump out as the face. Determining the face becomes hard with bowls that are uniform. In those cases, the owner of the bowl will carefully examine it and determine which side they feel should be the face. So, in short, it's up to the owner of the bowl, or the host of the tea ceremony.

+ Post Reply