Jul 12th, '11, 10:34

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by joelbct » Jul 12th, '11, 10:34

Wow Chip, I just saw your teacave picture from the last post. You've been busy. Impressive!

Jul 12th, '11, 11:50

by oak » Jul 12th, '11, 11:50

Luthier wrote:
Luthier, the tea pot that is on top of stove, is it ceramic? Can withstand the heat without breaking it?

Jul 12th, '11, 11:57

by oak » Jul 12th, '11, 11:57

Chip has many different tea cups, and with different sizes. Could anyone tell me when to use a size and when another? or where I could read about this issue?. Thank you.

Jul 12th, '11, 12:09

by Luthier » Jul 12th, '11, 12:09

oak wrote:
Luthier wrote:
Luthier, the tea pot that is on top of stove, is it ceramic? Can withstand the heat without breaking it?
Its some clay type I'm not sure of. Low fired and super thick walls. I got off from Chinatown for $10 several years back I think. I did some trial and error, and that pot can really boil water. :)

Jul 12th, '11, 12:58

by lkj23 » Jul 12th, '11, 12:58

oak wrote:Chip has many different tea cups, and with different sizes. Could anyone tell me when to use a size and when another? or where I could read about this issue?. Thank you.

Hi oak, I´m very noob but I can tell you some things, if I make mistakes please correct me.

It´s depend on the type of tea. For japanese greens I think 200 ml is a good size (normally they are brewed over 3 times(600ml), It´s depend on the quality of tea) I think the normal size of japanese teacups is 200ml . For chinese green I think the same volume is right, but you can use what you want with all teas hehehe, no rules....

Some people use gong fu style (small teapot, like my last picture and small cups, like 40 or 50 ml for one person, although a 80-100-120ml teapot is good for one person too, the bigest better for oolong teas because the leaves open inside the teapot and the volume of water you can add is lesser) for chinese greens, although this style is used pretty much for oolongs, pu-erh and black teas.

Chawans or tea bowls are used for matcha tea, they originated in Japan but there are western artisans who do these beautiful pieces too.

Jul 12th, '11, 13:52

by oak » Jul 12th, '11, 13:52

lkj23 wrote:
oak wrote:Chip has many different tea cups, and with different sizes. Could anyone tell me when to use a size and when another? or where I could read about this issue?. Thank you.

Hi oak, I´m very noob but I can tell you some things, if I make mistakes please correct me.

It´s depend on the type of tea. For japanese greens I think 200 ml is a good size (normally they are brewed over 3 times(600ml), It´s depend on the quality of tea) I think the normal size of japanese teacups is 200ml . For chinese green I think the same volume is right, but you can use what you want with all teas hehehe, no rules....

Some people use gong fu style (small teapot, like my last picture and small cups, like 40 or 50 ml for one person, although a 80-100-120ml teapot is good for one person too, the bigest better for oolong teas because the leaves open inside the teapot and the volume of water you can add is lesser) for chinese greens, although this style is used pretty much for oolongs, pu-erh and black teas.

Chawans or tea bowls are used for matcha tea, they originated in Japan but there are western artisans who do these beautiful pieces too.

Then, the green teas are softer, right?, and oolongs pu-erh and black tea, about half.

I've been preparing and drinking black tea bags placed directely on the glass of water, then remove and add the lemon juice, with no problems and very rich, but this morning it occurred to me to buy a glass tea pot and plastic for 1 euro, to make it work. Surprisingly, in two minutes left completely black it, I started taking it flavor, but I had to stop because I thought was a tachycardia and with nausea. When I got home I prepared macaroni with cheese and vegetables in a hurry, it was agree with me, then I took a tea of rock infusion. Now I'm fine but I don't dare take black tea at the moment.

Sure, I missed those tiny cups of black coffee. No rules hehehe...

Jul 12th, '11, 15:09

by lkj23 » Jul 12th, '11, 15:09

hahaha you have to be carefully with caffeine hahaha, thanks to god I´m not sensible to cafeine in tea, but I can´t take coffe. Sometimes I get a little nervous with pu-erh. Plastic not good!!

In terms of softness I think it´s relative, it depends on what aspect you want refer with soft.

Here my new teapot, I hope it be the my last buy in a long time, I can´t spend more, this is my ruin :lol: :lol:

Last edited by lkj23 on Jul 12th, '11, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 12th, '11, 15:38

by debunix » Jul 12th, '11, 15:38

Beautiful little kyusu!

Jul 12th, '11, 15:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 12th, '11, 15:42

Ohhh, it was you who scored that Yoshiki kyusu. I have been eye balling Yoshiki-yaki for quite a while. Looks like lkj has the teaware bug pretty bad! :mrgreen:

Great wares everyone!!! Although I have been busy with sad family matters, I have been checking out everyone's wares!

Jul 12th, '11, 15:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 12th, '11, 15:47

Yes Joel! Been busy! But sharing the Hagi love!!!
TBH, 70% of the cup size for me is based upon mood. 30% is based on the tea. Sometimes I feel like a larger wan, sometimes a guinomi.

I never know til after I pick the tea, the pot ... and then decide on cup(s).

There are the particular teas that have more of a requirement for size, such as gyokuro, matcha ... but othewise, mood reigns supreme.

Jul 12th, '11, 16:11

by debunix » Jul 12th, '11, 16:11

Chip wrote:TBH, 70% of the cup size for me is based upon mood. 30% is based on the tea. Sometimes I feel like a larger wan, sometimes a guinomi.

I never know til after I pick the tea, the pot ... and then decide on cup(s).
Sometimes it goes the other way round for me--want to use a particular cup and need to drink the right tea for that cup, e.g., not hot-brewed puerh in large deep thin-walled Hagi.....but mostly it is mood, whim, what have you.

Jul 12th, '11, 16:37

by lkj23 » Jul 12th, '11, 16:37

Thank you Debunix and Chip, is the perfect size for japanese greens for me hehehe.
Chip wrote:Looks like lkj has the teaware bug pretty bad! :mrgreen:
Please what mind bug in that sentence? love(enthusiast) or obsession?

Chip I´m very sorry to hear that about your family I hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Jul 12th, '11, 16:54

by AdamMY » Jul 12th, '11, 16:54

lkj23 wrote:
Chip wrote:Looks like lkj has the teaware bug pretty bad! :mrgreen:
Please what mind bug in that sentence? love(enthusiast) or obsession?
It is a little bit of a joke around here, our teaware addiction goes by many names one of which is TAD (Teaware Acquisition Disorder), but the "bug" part comes in because most of us can be fine for awhile then all of a sudden dive off the deep end, almost like we caught something like a flu or cold virus ( a colloquial name for virus in America is bug).

Jul 12th, '11, 17:01

by debunix » Jul 12th, '11, 17:01

Teaware acquisition disorder is most definitely contagious, frequently transmitted right here on TeaChat.

Jul 12th, '11, 18:09

by lkj23 » Jul 12th, '11, 18:09

ahhh ok, I understand, thank you. Yes I have been infected here :lol: :lol: , damn Teachat!!!

I need penicilin :lol: :lol: , I have to treat these damn bugs, they have increased quickly I can´t stop buying teaware :lol: :lol:

+ Post Reply