Jun 6th, '16, 00:39

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by Fuut » Jun 6th, '16, 00:39

jpo1933 wrote:great posts recently!
And who snapped up most of the gisui pots in AN? :lol:
Guess he's back on the wheel again?
If i'm not mistaken Gisui is no longer alive. Must be old stock from somewhere else.

Jun 8th, '16, 22:22

by debunix » Jun 8th, '16, 22:22

hopeofdawn wrote:After travelling away from home for the last three weeks, I FINALLY had time to sit down this morning on my freshly-scrubbed balcony, and enjoy a beautiful morning with tea. So I thought I'd share. Teapot and cup by Petr, server by Yi Yong Cheol--boy, I miss his work!
Beautiful relaxing setting, oh my.

Jun 27th, '16, 21:06

by stevorama » Jun 27th, '16, 21:06

Recently acquired these. Glazed clay. A bit large, but I like the look and feel. From an estate sale with other Japanese and Chinese baubles that were possibly from as far back as WW2. Anyone recognize the vintage?
Attachments
20160627_174429_Richtone(HDR)[1].jpg
20160627_174429_Richtone(HDR)[1].jpg (54.14 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
20160627_174507_Richtone(HDR)[1].jpg
20160627_174507_Richtone(HDR)[1].jpg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 2675 times

Jun 27th, '16, 21:29

by pedant » Jun 27th, '16, 21:29

Fuut wrote: If i'm not mistaken Gisui is no longer alive. Must be old stock from somewhere else.
i heard he was getting old, but i didn't know he was dead... :(
where'd you hear that?

i feel like Toru would have mentioned that on AN like he has done with other recently deceased artists (Gyokudo comes to mind)

Jun 28th, '16, 06:29

by Tead Off » Jun 28th, '16, 06:29

jayinhk wrote:
JRS22 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I like the spoon. Looks like coconut palm heartwood. I use chopsticks made out of it. It's good stuff and durable!
That could be. I bought the spoons in Cambodia, in Siem Reap, and there were no matching chopsticks. I have chopsticks from Thailand that came with matching spoons, but this was from a workshop for teaching people how to carve, and the shop was really aimed at tourists.
I got a ten-pack of coconut palm wood chopsticks in a supermarket in Vietnam...coconut palm wood is so tough they'll probably outlast me! The same wood is used for fighting sticks in Filipino martial arts today, and while not quite as heavy as the ebony that is classically used for heavy sticks, it is far more durable.

I just learned it's a pretty eco-friendly alternative to hardwood, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_timber
The sticks used in Escrima and Kali are traditionally rattan. They shatter bones!

Yes, the spoon is from coconut palm. I have a dipper for water that used the wood as the water holder and the handle is made from a different wood. Very inexpensive in SE Asia.

Jun 28th, '16, 06:35
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 28th, '16, 06:35

Tead Off, I have trained in FMA. The training sticks are lightweight rattan. They hurt like hell but won't break large bones. When you get serious you use kamagong (ebony) or bahi (coconut palm wood). Both twice as heavy as rattan and much harder! Those will break bones and can kill. The top level is using a sword or dagger or both, or even two swords :D all of those are used for dispute resolution in the Philippines, as well as whatever is at hand. They sure have a lot of guns over there...

I speak Tagalog and sell Filipino sticks, swords and knives, for the record. I have all three types of sticks within six feet of me ;)

Jun 28th, '16, 10:08

by Tead Off » Jun 28th, '16, 10:08

jayinhk wrote:Tead Off, I have trained in FMA. The training sticks are lightweight rattan. They hurt like hell but won't break large bones. When you get serious you use kamagong (ebony) or bahi (coconut palm wood). Both twice as heavy as rattan and much harder! Those will break bones and can kill. The top level is using a sword or dagger or both, or even two swords :D all of those are used for dispute resolution in the Philippines, as well as whatever is at hand. They sure have a lot of guns over there...

I speak Tagalog and sell Filipino sticks, swords and knives, for the record. I have all three types of sticks within six feet of me ;)
I knew that the top level used metal weapons, but I didn't know the rattan was used only in training. I also trained in Escrima many years ago but never saw any of the other types of wooden sticks besides rattan. Those guys are definitely over the top.

Jun 28th, '16, 10:35
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 28th, '16, 10:35

Tead Off wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Tead Off, I have trained in FMA. The training sticks are lightweight rattan. They hurt like hell but won't break large bones. When you get serious you use kamagong (ebony) or bahi (coconut palm wood). Both twice as heavy as rattan and much harder! Those will break bones and can kill. The top level is using a sword or dagger or both, or even two swords :D all of those are used for dispute resolution in the Philippines, as well as whatever is at hand. They sure have a lot of guns over there...

I knew that the top level used metal weapons, but I didn't know the rattan was used only in training. I also trained in Escrima many years ago but never saw any of the other types of wooden sticks besides rattan. Those guys are definitely over the top.
The heavy sticks are really intended for serious fights, but advanced eskrimadors train with heavy sticks and even spar with dull steel trainers. Those steel trainers can still leave serious scars, even unsharpened!

Jun 29th, '16, 04:04

by Tead Off » Jun 29th, '16, 04:04

jayinhk wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

The heavy sticks are really intended for serious fights, but advanced eskrimadors train with heavy sticks and even spar with dull steel trainers. Those steel trainers can still leave serious scars, even unsharpened!
After class, some of the filipino guys would take out their butterfly knives and spar. I knew it was time for me to leave. :wink:

Jun 29th, '16, 07:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 29th, '16, 07:28

Tead Off wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

After class, some of the filipino guys would take out their butterfly knives and spar. I knew it was time for me to leave. :wink:
Hope they were training balisongs!

Aug 16th, '16, 09:55

by Fuut » Aug 16th, '16, 09:55

Hi everyone,

I've noticed a steep decline in activity since the overhauls first happened, but now I'm finally able to check the forum a little more often because the colors don't give me a headache anymore.

Anyway, i got myself a new mizusashi a few days ago. Typical Seto style. Please see.

Sorry, i would placed them in opposite order, but the place attachment inline is gone.
Attachments
G641_13.jpg
G641_13.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
G641_03.jpg
G641_03.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
G641_05.jpg
G641_05.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 2322 times

Aug 16th, '16, 23:27

by debunix » Aug 16th, '16, 23:27

Lovely vessel, and very complementary to the new color scheme for TeaChat!

Aug 18th, '16, 02:23

by tenoh271 » Aug 18th, '16, 02:23

pedant wrote:
Fuut wrote: If i'm not mistaken Gisui is no longer alive. Must be old stock from somewhere else.
where'd you hear that?

i feel like Toru would have mentioned that on AN like he has done with other recently deceased artists (Gyokudo comes to mind)
At least during the time those Gisui teapots were offered on AN, Gisui-San was still healthy. Early this year, he was still running a studio offering pottery classes to children and tourists in Tokoname, and had some teapots on sale there as well. Peace.

Aug 18th, '16, 04:45

by theredbaron » Aug 18th, '16, 04:45

tenoh271 wrote:
pedant wrote:
where'd you hear that?

At least during the time those Gisui teapots were offered on AN, Gisui-San was still healthy. Early this year, he was still running a studio offering pottery classes to children and tourists in Tokoname, and had some teapots on sale there as well. Peace.

I don't know if he is dead or alive, but there are quite a few Gisui pots for sale by the ebay seller tokonamejp, also artisticnipon has some Gisui pots for sale.
I recently bought a small 95 ml pot, and am very happy with it.

Sep 16th, '16, 16:29

by JRS22 » Sep 16th, '16, 16:29

One upside, in a way, of the quiet that has descended upon Teachat, is that there are fewer posts of tempting new tea ware. Still, TAD is in my system, so when my resident coffee drinker admired a cup from Greenwood Studio I went over to Etsy to take a look at what Shaun has been up to lately.

I fell in love with this shib, which at 150 ml is large for me. I do have teas that are only good for two steeps, so this is perfect for those teas. It has that rough stoneware look of a chunky pot, but it's actually thin-walled.
Attachments
IMG_0187.JPG
IMG_0187.JPG (29.02 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG (27.83 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
Last edited by JRS22 on Sep 16th, '16, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply