May 20th, '12, 22:12

Re: Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

by msurads06 » May 20th, '12, 22:12

I have been meaning to post these picts for a while and just kept forgetting. This is a little tea set i inherited last year. A friend of my Grandmothers brought this back from Japan when he was stationed there at the end of WWII. Thats all the info i really have about this set. There are 6 cups and saucers, as well as a sugar and creamer dish. I think this set was made for teabags because there is a little box that could be used to hold the bags and two small "plates" to set the used bags on. Its in reasonably good shape except for two of the cups which were patched back together with scotch tape and model airplane glue when my dad and uncle accidentally "dropped" a ball and broke them, then tried to repair them so my grandmother would catch them. (No mom we werent throwing a ball in the house honest!!)

Whole set
SNC00082[1] by msurads06, on Flickr

Tea Box
SNC00083[1] by msurads06, on Flickr

Close up of cup
SNC00084[1] by msurads06, on Flickr

May 21st, '12, 02:32

Antique/Vintage Tea and Tea Ware

by debunix » May 21st, '12, 02:32

Cool dragons.

May 21st, '12, 20:31
Scrolling: fixed

by TomVerlain » May 21st, '12, 20:31

Any marks on the bottom ? Perhaps "Occupied Japan" ? They look like post war style. Google "moriage dragonware" for more info.

May 22nd, '12, 00:14

by msurads06 » May 22nd, '12, 00:14

Here is a shot of the bottom of the teacup:

SNC00086[1] by msurads06, on Flickr

Interestingly after googling Moriage dragonware, it looks like what i assumed was a box for teabags was actually a cigarette/trinket box. I will have to ask my dad if he knows if there was a teapot to go with the set. Thanks for the tip TomVerlain.

May 22nd, '12, 09:23

by gasninja » May 22nd, '12, 09:23

I've got the tea pot to that set. Minus the lid.

May 22nd, '12, 22:01

by Poohblah » May 22nd, '12, 22:01

I know a woman who collects those types of tea sets with dragons embossed on them. She says that they used to be sold mostly in gift shops and import stores and that she finds hers nowadays at antique and thrift stores. This type of ware doesn't appear to be limited to tea sets. Often it can be quite beautiful.

May 26th, '12, 06:00

by goeran » May 26th, '12, 06:00

I recently bought a few old cups which ended up to be gaiwan lids( as per antique shop dealer) with beautiful handpainted decor. I use them as regular cups. The size seems perfect (~60ml) and they feel and look good too.
Attachments
IMG01677-20120526-1541.jpg
IMG01677-20120526-1541.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 2736 times

May 26th, '12, 08:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 26th, '12, 08:02

... if they were gaiwan lids, would not the images be the other way around so they would be right side up when sitting on the gaiwan "cup?"

May 26th, '12, 10:01

by goeran » May 26th, '12, 10:01

You are right! I never thought about it! It sounded good at the time and the shape seemed right. I use them as cups anyways :)

May 26th, '12, 12:07

by Bon Teavant » May 26th, '12, 12:07

These antique gaiwans were purchased from an antiques dealer who was referred to me by a trusted tea associate who has been in business for a very long time, and whom I hold in high regard. As such, I trusted (and continue to trust) that the antique gaiwans I purchased are authentically what the dealer said they are. More importantly, before launching the gaiwans for sale on my site, I spent a couple of months researching the pieces and seeking the advice of collectors and experts in different parts of the world. In posting information on my site, I offered what I believed was the best reference to the date of origin, quality, and condition of the gaiwans, based on the word of the merchant and the opinions shared with me by other collectors.

Could I have been fooled? Yes, of course. Almost anyone can be, including experts and longtime collectors. In 2004, an entire exhibition entitled "Fakes, Copies, and Question Marks: Forensic Investigations of Asian Art" was held at San Francisco's Asian Art Museum, revealing how museum curators had been duped or puzzled by "works of art that were once thought to be authentic, but through subsequent analysis, have been found to be forgeries."

Notwithstanding, Bon Teavant offers a 30-day return policy, giving buyers a fair opportunity to check with their own trusted sources and colleagues to decide whether what they have purchased is "real" or worth the price they have paid for it. If they are not 100% satisfied, they can return the gaiwan(s) for a full refund. As a gesture of goodwill, I am offering here on this forum that anyone who reads this post and has bought one of these gaiwans may come to me at any time if they believe their gaiwans to be inauthentic or that they were "duped" in any way. I promise to make it right.

Thank you to the person/people in this forum who did not attack my integrity and who gave me the benefit of the doubt. I will always do my best to be worthy of your trust.

Extra Note: I also made the effort to test the pieces for lead (they are lead-free).

May 26th, '12, 18:05

by Chip » May 26th, '12, 18:05

The above post is in reference to discussion in this topic beginning here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... nt#p210327

For now, I am letting the post stand since it is a rebuttal. Though the rules (located several places on the forum including Forum Guidelines) do require vendors wishing to post rebuttals to comments about their business, to first contact a Moderator ...

o_O

O_o

O_O

Looking around, I guess that would be me. :mrgreen:
Vendor rebuttals to a negative review or post regarding same vendor are permitted, but same vendor must contact the Moderator prior to posting a rebuttal by either PMing Chip or emailing at teachat@adagio.com. Posting a rebuttal without prior authorization will result in removal of offending post(s) and possible further disciplinary action.

May 31st, '12, 13:16

by MarshalN » May 31st, '12, 13:16

Chip wrote:The above post is in reference to discussion in this topic beginning here: http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... nt#p210327

For now, I am letting the post stand since it is a rebuttal. Though the rules (located several places on the forum including Forum Guidelines) do require vendors wishing to post rebuttals to comments about their business, to first contact a Moderator ...

o_O

O_o

O_O

Looking around, I guess that would be me. :mrgreen:
Vendor rebuttals to a negative review or post regarding same vendor are permitted, but same vendor must contact the Moderator prior to posting a rebuttal by either PMing Chip or emailing at teachat@adagio.com. Posting a rebuttal without prior authorization will result in removal of offending post(s) and possible further disciplinary action.
A 3 years old rebuttal, no less, seems kind of pointless

Jun 7th, '12, 00:10
Vendor Member

by TwoDog2 » Jun 7th, '12, 00:10

MarshalN wrote: A 3 years old rebuttal, no less, seems kind of pointless
At least what he wrote is pretty honest. Even if it is a little late.
Could I have been fooled? Yes, of course. Almost anyone can be, including experts and longtime collectors.
I think this is something that anyone who deals with antique or vintage (especially in Chinese pots, cups, gai wans) ought to just expect as part of the battle. There is so much fakery, that even somebody who is attempting to run an honest business is not in the clear.

Jul 27th, '12, 03:17

by MarshalN » Jul 27th, '12, 03:17

This thread needs some activity

Jul 27th, '12, 13:45

by Geekgirl » Jul 27th, '12, 13:45

Wow, that is stunning.

+ Post Reply