Jul 18th, '15, 22:13

Re: Not my teaware.....but I wish it were....

by Frisbeehead » Jul 18th, '15, 22:13

BioHorn wrote:
JBaymore wrote:
William wrote:From your experience, are Chawan made outside Japan¹ (e.g. made from an American or European potter) nowadays used in Japan for chanoyu tamae or there still is reluctance?

¹Of course if properly made.
There is still a bit of a "barrier" to a degree....and a lot depends on where you are and with whom you are dealing, of course. Those of us gaikokujin who have been fortunate enough to find our wares somewhat 'accepted' in Japan are fortunate.

Probably the most accepted foreign Chadogu maker in Japan at the moment is Richard Milgrim. Richard used to split his time in the USA working at a studio in the Emmerson Umbrella Art Center in Concord, MA (I built the gas kiln there in 1981) and also at his home outside Kyoto. Last year he moved permanently to Japan. His wife is an Uresenke sensei, used to teach in the Boston Chapter. (His Chawan go for about $2000.00 - $3000.00 USD.)

best,

..................john
Hi John,
Thank you for another wonderful reference:

http://teaceramics.com/works.html

That is beautiful work!

H
The chawans on that site you linked are amazing! Where would I buy teaware like that?

Jul 18th, '15, 23:27

by Tead Off » Jul 18th, '15, 23:27

JBaymore wrote:
Tead Off wrote:[John,
Just curious as to what you think the % of chawan in Rob Fornell's curated show in N.Y. a few years back, 'From The Edge' would qualify as 'usable' cermemonial ware in Japan?
I had work in that "From The Edge" exhibition also. So long ago however... can't remember all the work. I do remember it was a nice exhibition in general...I was glad to have been invited to be in it. That show traveled.... I got to see it out in Tacoma, WA....... but as they say.... "all a blur" (getting old).

This might help on looking at bowls....... http://blog.nceca.net/what-makes-a-teab ... now-online (Just posted this link in my Teaware Artisans section also.)

best,

................john
Thanks for the video, John. It helps putting it all together.

Jul 20th, '15, 10:41

by JBaymore » Jul 20th, '15, 10:41

Frisbeehead wrote:Hi John,
Thank you for another wonderful reference:

http://teaceramics.com/works.html

That is beautiful work!

The chawans on that site you linked are amazing! Where would I buy teaware like that?
I just spoke with Richard for you....... there is a link under the "contact" section of that website I listed... he said to use that to start a conversation about purchasing...and please mention my name so he knows it is "you". Please do remember that his work is highly valued in Japan so the prices are not inexpensive. Yen to Dollar at the moment (varies by the second) is about 123 円 to $1.00 for price conversions on his site to give you an idea.

http://teaceramics.com/contact.html

best,

..............john

Jul 20th, '15, 18:48

by andrzej bero » Jul 20th, '15, 18:48

Tead Off wrote:This might help on looking at bowls....... http://blog.nceca.net/what-makes-a-teab ... now-online
wow, very nice presentation, I like your idea in case of chawan, instead of saying "good or bad" saying "more or less easy", thanks

Jul 28th, '15, 20:54

by debunix » Jul 28th, '15, 20:54

Drooling over the keyboard....the delicate shading of one color into another, the dripsicle, the deep blue pool at the heart of things.....

Karatsu guinomi from Artistic Nippon

Jul 28th, '15, 21:50

by Frisbeehead » Jul 28th, '15, 21:50

debunix wrote:Drooling over the keyboard....the delicate shading of one color into another, the dripsicle, the deep blue pool at the heart of things.....

Karatsu guinomi from Artistic Nippon
Hey I am pretty new to Japanese tea and teaware, what is that used for? It looks very similar to a chawan. Is it for matcha as well?

Jul 28th, '15, 22:30

by JBaymore » Jul 28th, '15, 22:30

Frisbeehead,

Guinomi (loose translation... "one gulp")....... are for "Nihonshu"....what most in the west call "sake". Or maybe used for shochu (distilled liquir.... like vodka).

The best of them are very much like miniature Chawan. They are small...... like the cups often used for Chinese brewed teas.

Those who cannot afford real Japanese Chawan often collect guinomi....because they are beautiful, and share the aesthetics and forms of Chawan,.... but are usually far less expensive. But that does not mean they are "cheap"........ they can still run into the thousands of $ for the good ones.

best,

....................john

Jul 29th, '15, 00:24

by chamekke » Jul 29th, '15, 00:24

JBaymore wrote:Guinomi (loose translation... "one gulp")....... are for "Nihonshu"....what most in the west call "sake". Or maybe used for shochu (distilled liquir.... like vodka).

The best of them are very much like miniature Chawan. They are small...... like the cups often used for Chinese brewed teas.
Thought I'd post an example. This is an Oribe guinomi that showed up at my local consignment shop. No box, no provenance, and it cost all of $2. This was a decade ago, I'd only just started studying Japanese tea ceremony at the time and had no idea that guinomi even existed, so I bought it because I thought it was supposed to be a miniature chawan for display purposes or somesuch :lol:

I later worked out that the potter was the late Sasaki Tadashi, who was (among other things) no slouch in the chawan-making department.

P.S. It has the most heavenly lip for drinking sake from!

Jul 29th, '15, 09:57

by JBaymore » Jul 29th, '15, 09:57

Nice find on the Tadashi there.

best,

.............john

Jul 29th, '15, 20:14

by debunix » Jul 29th, '15, 20:14

For those of us who do not drink primarily matcha, and who have a selection of smaller brewing vessels, little guinomi can be great additions to the teaware collection. I prefer cups a little bigger than most guinomi, but occasionally a potter whose work I've been coveting comes out with a slightly larger piece that is just right....

(and here I was going to post a photo of a lovely guinomi but I am suddenly unable to post the usual way from my SmugMug. :( )

Nov 5th, '15, 20:49

by debunix » Nov 5th, '15, 20:49

Nov 5th, '15, 22:26

by Tead Off » Nov 5th, '15, 22:26

That's cool, but I'm not sure how they would feel in my mouth or on my tongue. I'd probably bite one off. :D

Nov 5th, '15, 23:06

by debunix » Nov 5th, '15, 23:06

Guessing I'd drink from the far side as it faces the camera in this photo, with only a very small bump on the rim where my lips would touch it. But it's true that it's hard to know how such an unusual appearance would function. If the price were an order of magnitude lower, I'd be happy to try the experiment!

Nov 6th, '15, 06:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Nov 6th, '15, 06:40

Very interesting. So much for form following function.

Agree on the price as well...

Nov 6th, '15, 07:47

by kuánglóng » Nov 6th, '15, 07:47

debunix wrote:Guessing I'd drink from the far side as it faces the camera in this photo, with only a very small bump on the rim where my lips would touch it. But it's true that it's hard to know how such an unusual appearance would function. If the price were an order of magnitude lower, I'd be happy to try the experiment!
Lovely cup, Deb. I could imagine using it for yerba mate - with a bombilla but those 472€ he's asking would buy me approximately a ten-year supply of my favorite yerba.

+ Post Reply