May 10th, '15, 03:35

Re: Not my teaware.....but I wish it were....

by theroots » May 10th, '15, 03:35

JBaymore wrote: It is actually a very normal and good price for a good Chawan in Japan.
For a good Chawan made by a known artist I agree (regarding the "normal"). But there're a lot of very good Chawans that costs 1/5 of this price. A big part of the price is just prestige and another good amount goes to the gallery.
Last edited by theroots on May 10th, '15, 04:14, edited 1 time in total.

May 10th, '15, 04:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » May 10th, '15, 04:10

JBaymore wrote:
Fuut wrote: Looks very nice.. price makes me :evil:
Why would that price make you angry?

It is actually a very normal and good price for a good Chawan in Japan.

best,

...................john
Hi John,

May I ask which are in your opinion, the traits that make good a Chawan?

Thank you.

May 10th, '15, 04:40

by Fuut » May 10th, '15, 04:40

Fyi. :arrow: i didn't say anything about the prices not being justifiable. Just saying its a *BOO* not to be filthy rich.

May 10th, '15, 06:56

by Drax » May 10th, '15, 06:56

Fuut, that would be a pretty complicated emoticon.... but somehow I think it would see a lot of use, particularly on this forum. :lol:

May 10th, '15, 07:45

by bonescwa » May 10th, '15, 07:45

Is it expensive because it's a good chawan, or is it good because it's expensive?

May 10th, '15, 14:07

by JBaymore » May 10th, '15, 14:07

William wrote: Hi John,
May I ask which are in your opinion, the traits that make good a Chawan?
Thank you.
William,

Hi.

Matter of fact, I just did a lecture presentation on that very subject at the 2015 annual conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramics Arts recently held in in Providence, Rhode Island. Shared my thoughts with about 700 ceramists from all over who were in the standing-room-only room.

My personal "yardstick" (and the focus of my presentation) is based upon actual formal Chanoyu use. So it really does not apply if you are talking "home use".....which is the approach of probably 99% of Teachat-ers. Therefore my thoughts probably do not apply to most reading this.

And ..... sorry, it is WAY too long to get into here.

A lot of "teabowls" that are made by those ceramists that haven't spent a bunch of time studying Tea (Japanese Tea Ceremony) can be rather difficult to use in a real ceremony setting. These reasons can include necessary physical attributes as well as sometimes the bowl's aesthetic qualities. Some are so far off the mark as to be totally un-useable in that context.

If a Japanese potter IN Japan is able to sell his/her Chawan in the $4000 kind of range....... the "market" there has already reviewed the quality from both a technical and an aesthetic standard and it has been found of decent merit. Japan may be the "Land of the Potter" but it tends to be RUTHELESSLY competitive. The 'World of Tea' there even more so.

Most ceramists I know, when they get a first chance to actually handle a seriously good Chawan intended for Chanoyu, often say, "Ahhhhh now I get it!"

best,

...............john

May 10th, '15, 16:25

by William » May 10th, '15, 16:25

JBaymore wrote: William,

Hi.

Matter of fact, I just did a lecture presentation on that very subject at the 2015 annual conference of the National Council on Education for the Ceramics Arts recently held in in Providence, Rhode Island. Shared my thoughts with about 700 ceramists from all over who were in the standing-room-only room.

My personal "yardstick" (and the focus of my presentation) is based upon actual formal Chanoyu use. So it really does not apply if you are talking "home use".....which is the approach of probably 99% of Teachat-ers. Therefore my thoughts probably do not apply to most reading this.

And ..... sorry, it is WAY too long to get into here.

A lot of "teabowls" that are made by those ceramists that haven't spent a bunch of time studying Tea (Japanese Tea Ceremony) can be rather difficult to use in a real ceremony setting. These reasons can include necessary physical attributes as well as sometimes the bowl's aesthetic qualities. Some are so far off the mark as to be totally un-useable in that context.

If a Japanese potter IN Japan is able to sell his/her Chawan in the $4000 kind of range....... the "market" there has already reviewed the quality from both a technical and an aesthetic standard and it has been found of decent merit. Japan may be the "Land of the Potter" but it tends to be RUTHELESSLY competitive. The 'World of Tea' there even more so.

Most ceramists I know, when they get a first chance to actually handle a seriously good Chawan intended for Chanoyu, often say, "Ahhhhh now I get it!"

best,

...............john
Thank you, John! :)

From your experience, are Chawan made outside Japan¹ (e.g. made from an American or European potter) nowadays used in Japan for chanoyu tamae or there still is reluctance?

¹Of course if properly made.

May 11th, '15, 10:02

by theroots » May 11th, '15, 10:02

JBaymore wrote: If a Japanese potter IN Japan is able to sell his/her Chawan in the $4000 kind of range....... the "market" there has already reviewed the quality from both a technical and an aesthetic standard
That's true but on the other hand that "review" rather than the quality is what you're paying for. Pottery (especially in Japan) is art and as such it does follow the price formation of art.

May 11th, '15, 11:44

by JBaymore » May 11th, '15, 11:44

theroots wrote:Pottery (especially in Japan) is art and as such it does follow the price formation of art.
Absolutely... as it should be.

The standards that potters in Japan who chose to "dare" to make Chawan have to adhere to be 'accepted' by the serious Tea community are pretty high.

best,

.................john

May 11th, '15, 11:53

by JBaymore » May 11th, '15, 11:53

William wrote:From your experience, are Chawan made outside Japan¹ (e.g. made from an American or European potter) nowadays used in Japan for chanoyu tamae or there still is reluctance?

There is still a bit of a "barrier" to a degree....and a lot depends on where you are and with whom you are dealing, of course. Those of us gaikokujin who have been fortunate enough to find our wares somewhat 'accepted' in Japan are fortunate.

Probably the most accepted foreign Chadogu maker in Japan at the moment is Richard Milgrim. Richard used to split his time in the USA working at a studio in the Emmerson Umbrella Art Center in Concord, MA (I built the gas kiln there in 1981) and also at his home outside Kyoto. Last year he moved permanently to Japan. His wife is an Uresenke sensei, used to teach in the Boston Chapter. (His Chawan go for about $2000.00 - $3000.00 USD.)

best,

..................john

May 11th, '15, 12:46

by William » May 11th, '15, 12:46

JBaymore wrote:
William wrote:From your experience, are Chawan made outside Japan¹ (e.g. made from an American or European potter) nowadays used in Japan for chanoyu tamae or there still is reluctance?

There is still a bit of a "barrier" to a degree....and a lot depends on where you are and with whom you are dealing, of course. Those of us gaikokujin who have been fortunate enough to find our wares somewhat 'accepted' in Japan are fortunate.

Probably the most accepted foreign Chadogu maker in Japan at the moment is Richard Milgrim. Richard used to split his time in the USA working at a studio in the Emmerson Umbrella Art Center in Concord, MA (I built the gas kiln there in 1981) and also at his home outside Kyoto. Last year he moved permanently to Japan. His wife is an Uresenke sensei, used to teach in the Boston Chapter. (His Chawan go for about $2000.00 - $3000.00 USD.)

best,

..................john
Thank you again, John. :)

Jul 12th, '15, 13:37

by debunix » Jul 12th, '15, 13:37

Beautiful dreamy Yamada Sou blue kyusu that I'd love to have but have no space for....maybe you do?

Jul 12th, '15, 13:57

by Tead Off » Jul 12th, '15, 13:57

JBaymore wrote:
theroots wrote:Pottery (especially in Japan) is art and as such it does follow the price formation of art.
Absolutely... as it should be.

The standards that potters in Japan who chose to "dare" to make Chawan have to adhere to be 'accepted' by the serious Tea community are pretty high.

best,

.................john
John,

Just curious as to what you think the % of chawan in Rob Fornell's curated show in N.Y. a few years back, 'From The Edge' would qualify as 'usable' cermemonial ware in Japan?

Jul 12th, '15, 22:28

by BioHorn » Jul 12th, '15, 22:28

JBaymore wrote:

best,

..................john
Hi John,
Thank you for another wonderful reference:

http://teaceramics.com/works.html

That is beautiful work!

H

Jul 18th, '15, 21:52

by JBaymore » Jul 18th, '15, 21:52

Tead Off wrote:[John,
Just curious as to what you think the % of chawan in Rob Fornell's curated show in N.Y. a few years back, 'From The Edge' would qualify as 'usable' cermemonial ware in Japan?
I had work in that "From The Edge" exhibition also. So long ago however... can't remember all the work. I do remember it was a nice exhibition in general...I was glad to have been invited to be in it. That show traveled.... I got to see it out in Tacoma, WA....... but as they say.... "all a blur" (getting old).

This might help on looking at bowls....... http://blog.nceca.net/what-makes-a-teab ... now-online (Just posted this link in my Teaware Artisans section also.)

best,

................john

+ Post Reply