Sep 7th, '11, 10:57

Tea Trays Part Two

by JRS22 » Sep 7th, '11, 10:57

This was discussed at length about a year ago, but I didn't come away from that thread with specific advice. So then I purchased a small bamboo tray from Rishi on sale. I've been very happy with it's functionality, but not with how it's wearing. I'm in the market for another tray, large enough for my pot and cup and a water cooler, that catches and holds water. I've seen some trays with a hose for water run-off, but that won't work for my kitchen.

Any suggestions?

Sep 7th, '11, 11:19
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Tea Trays Part Two

by Chip » Sep 7th, '11, 11:19

JRS22 wrote:This was discussed at length about a year ago, but I didn't come away from that thread with specific advice. So then I purchased a small bamboo tray from Rishi on sale. I've been very happy with it's functionality, but not with how it's wearing. I'm in the market for another tray, large enough for my pot and cup and a water cooler, that catches and holds water. I've seen some trays with a hose for water run-off, but that won't work for my kitchen.

Any suggestions?
Heh, I bought the small and big one in that blow out sale (are you talking about the tables?) ... and use the large one just about all the time. So far no wear issues at all ... *knock on bamboo*

Sep 7th, '11, 12:24

by JRS22 » Sep 7th, '11, 12:24

This is what I purchased, at an excellent price during their holiday sale last December. I think of it as a tray because I place it on a table to use it, but you are correct (as usual) that Rishi calls it a table.
d_1328.jpg
d_1328.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
Mine is physically intact and functional, but looks washed out. Since I'm planning to set up a simple puerh "station" in my workroom with my old electric kettle and one set of teaware I'd like to upgrade to a better tray for downstairs and use this one upstairs.

Sep 8th, '11, 00:34

by MarshalN » Sep 8th, '11, 00:34

Buy ones that have a plastic tray at the bottom. The bamboo ones last about 1-2 years at most if you use it frequently.

Sep 8th, '11, 01:08
Vendor Member

by IPT » Sep 8th, '11, 01:08

The bamboo ones also like to split if they get too dried out. Central heat plays havok on them.

Sep 8th, '11, 04:42

by Alex » Sep 8th, '11, 04:42

Have a look at the ones on DTH

http://stores.ebay.com/Dragon-Tea-House ... p=16&_sc=1

Probably something in that lot that suits your needs.

Sep 9th, '11, 17:45

by JRS22 » Sep 9th, '11, 17:45

Actually I was hoping to hear from people who are happy with their tea trays so I'd have some ideas about what materials work and age well. Otherwise I'll just be resigned to replacing my bamboo tray regularly. Anybody?

Sep 9th, '11, 17:53

by wyardley » Sep 9th, '11, 17:53

Of the bamboo ones, the ones made by Lin's (unfortunately on the expensive side) have been the only ones I've had luck with long term. Going with a wood one with plastic dish, an entirely ceramic or metal one, or going without a sink underneath (just using a mat / waste bowl / dish) is another way to go.

Sep 9th, '11, 19:27

by brose » Sep 9th, '11, 19:27

I have had luck using clear boat resin to coat my bamboo tray on a tray when I got it new. It seemed to work well in reinforcing the thin cheap lacquer that was put on it when I bought it. If you attempt this make sure you know what to expect and the ins and outs of the resins because they can be easy to mess up. When I tried to save my two year old bamboo tray that leaked by sanding it down and coating it, it was essentially a loss because it blushed.

Sep 9th, '11, 22:40

by Poohblah » Sep 9th, '11, 22:40

IPT wrote:The bamboo ones also like to split if they get too dried out. Central heat plays havok on them.
My roommate and I found this out the hard way. Both my bamboo tray and his expensive bamboo go board suffered large cracks just a short time after purchasing them, since we live in a very dry climate. Luckily both of our things are still useable, though they look like hell.

Sep 10th, '11, 11:50

by JRS22 » Sep 10th, '11, 11:50

I just Inspected my bamboo tray and the seams are intact. The main problem is the degree to which the finish has worn away. I may experiment with a food safe wood finish.

Sorry about the Go board. I know it has none of the spirit of a "real" board but there are Go apps for the iPad.

Sep 11th, '11, 09:42

by fracol » Sep 11th, '11, 09:42

Do any other woods commonly used for tea trays such as rosewood or ebony work better/are more durable than bamboo? It may be worth it to pay a little extra for something that will last longer.

Sep 11th, '11, 12:36

by David R. » Sep 11th, '11, 12:36

Go-ban are usually made in Shin-Kaya or Katsura, which make quite solid boards. Oak and Beech are used too.

Speaking about tea trays, I am having a ceramic one made by Mirka Mandova, Petr's partner... I am very eager to see the result.

Sep 11th, '11, 15:07

by Alex » Sep 11th, '11, 15:07

JRS22 wrote:Actually I was hoping to hear from people who are happy with their tea trays so I'd have some ideas about what materials work and age well. Otherwise I'll just be resigned to replacing my bamboo tray regularly. Anybody?

Well I got one of the "ebony" ones they sell at DTH and its been going on 2.5 years. Looks like almost new still and used 3 times a day. No stains as the varnish is still 100% in tact I'd imagine I'd get another few of years atleast.. Much better then the bamboo one I had

Sep 11th, '11, 18:49

by fracol » Sep 11th, '11, 18:49

Alex wrote: Well I got one of the "ebony" ones they sell at DTH and its been going on 2.5 years. Looks like almost new still and used 3 times a day. No stains as the varnish is still 100% in tact I'd imagine I'd get another few of years atleast.. Much better then the bamboo one I had
Aah, so you have had success with the ebony. How do you clean it after you use it? Do you just simply use a wet cloth, or do you use some other method?

+ Post Reply