Nov 9th, '12, 10:54

Re: Official Show Off Your Gaiwan Topic, Gaiwanesques welcome!

by ImmortaliTEA » Nov 9th, '12, 10:54

Just another note:
I just checked out their website and it appears that gaiwan is only $7.50, although I distinctly remember it being much more expensive in the actual store in Chinatown!

Nov 12th, '12, 14:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Nov 12th, '12, 14:28

A few years ago, the Puerhshop used to carry some decent gaiwans -- they were light green ("jade-esque") in color, and hand-painted with bamboo, or lotus, or a third type. I bought 2 at the time, and they have been great little gaiwans -- great size, too, about 120mL.

I broke a lid on one about a year ago, and I've been meaning to give it the Japanese "kintsugi" treatment one of these days. But today I was at Ching Ching Cha in Georgetown, and they were selling the exact same gaiwan, and only $10. So, short story long, of course I got one... :D
Attachments
bamboo_gaiwan_ching_ching.jpg
Bamboo gaiwan
bamboo_gaiwan_ching_ching.jpg (26.78 KiB) Viewed 1477 times

Nov 14th, '12, 15:58

by Alex » Nov 14th, '12, 15:58

Looks like very nice dimensions Drax

Dec 4th, '12, 18:53

by tst » Dec 4th, '12, 18:53

Bought this more because of intrigue than for practical use. The seller claimed it was some kind of stone and I decided to take a risk.

Anyone have any ideas on the chop? 末 車 ? Pretty lost on that ... :D

There are three runs in the stone ... small fractures mostly invisible unless held up to a light source.

The lid is tangibly thicker than the body and not as transparent.

Here's a good shot of the transparency and the material.

Very interesting piece ... in my very limited experience, I haven't seen another like it. The seller said it is from an old estate sale, although who really knows. I'm not sure what the material could be. It looks a lot like the dark granite or marble kitchen counters in higher-end homes. Any ideas? Thanks as always.

Dec 4th, '12, 19:44

by ImmortaliTEA » Dec 4th, '12, 19:44

tst wrote:Bought this more because of intrigue than for practical use. The seller claimed it was some kind of stone and I decided to take a risk.

Anyone have any ideas on the chop? 末 車 ? Pretty lost on that ... :D

There are three runs in the stone ... small fractures mostly invisible unless held up to a light source.

The lid is tangibly thicker than the body and not as transparent.

Here's a good shot of the transparency and the material.

Very interesting piece ... in my very limited experience, I haven't seen another like it. The seller said it is from an old estate sale, although who really knows. I'm not sure what the material could be. It looks a lot like the dark granite or marble kitchen counters in higher-end homes. Any ideas? Thanks as always.
I don't have any info about the piece but I must say that it is beautiful. Especially that shot of the transparency. Looks like Kryptonite!

Dec 4th, '12, 19:55
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 4th, '12, 19:55

I have some very small cups that hold 2 oz. at the most that are a lighter green than yours, w/ more transparancy, & w/ similar gold on them. They are supposed to be jade, but I started to doubt that after breaking one & the rough edges felt almost like plastic.
Anyway your gaiwan certainly looks pretty.

Dec 4th, '12, 20:03

by Poohblah » Dec 4th, '12, 20:03

tst, I believe that material is called serpentine, which is often sold as "jade".

Dec 4th, '12, 20:25

by tst » Dec 4th, '12, 20:25

Thanks Poohblah, can always count on you for some input.

I have heard of serpentine before, but forgot about it ... I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Any info on the characters?

Dec 5th, '12, 11:58

by Poohblah » Dec 5th, '12, 11:58

車 chē means car, cart, carriage, vehicle, etc.
末 mò means end or final

Possibly Chē Mò is somebody's name or pseudonym. Could be a company name. I'm just guessing though. I really don't know what it refers to and I think it's likely not all that important.

Dec 6th, '12, 01:22
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 6th, '12, 01:22

In China traditionally a variety of stones fell under the 'jade' banner (not just jadeite and nephrite). The fact it broke like 'plastic' may mean it was made from lower grade serpentine that was filled with clear epoxy. I have a Guan Gung (Taoist God of War) pendant that looks like much the same material.

Dec 6th, '12, 03:12
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 6th, '12, 03:12

Thanks, jayinkh. I see serpentine for sale in Western Thailand, where it is much less common than jade & is usually offered at higher prices than jade & identified as something other than jade. The serpentine that I've seen there does not have much variety in color & is not as beautiful as the pieces in the photographs of the lovely gaiwan being "shown off". I've never seen any teaware truly meant for use made of jade or serpentine.
The piece that I broke was bought (w/ 2 similar pieces) just over the bridge in Myanmar w/o anyone identifying the stone due to no English or Thai speakers working in that antique shop (which went out of business a year later). I hoped it was a jade of great value (for being almost as clear as glass) but had doubts because of the price & the gold painted on it. (Why paint on a most precious jade?)
Up to a year ago, where I buy in Western Thailand, there was almost no deception in the sale of hard semi-precious stone figures & jewelry. W/ new, major roads from China into Myanmar & other changes, I'm seeing more junk for sale & hearing more lies.

Dec 6th, '12, 04:35

by Alex » Dec 6th, '12, 04:35

Just bought this from Wisdom Of China on eBay
Tt2rj.jpg
Tt2rj.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
FxEEz.jpg
FxEEz.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Dk6wC.jpg
Dk6wC.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 1303 times

Bought a few Gaiwans from this seller for gifts. Service has been excellent. Not just in dispatch and shipping but in sorting out a problem as well. Highly recommended vendor from me.

Dec 6th, '12, 07:44

by David R. » Dec 6th, '12, 07:44

Nice paintings. Looks small.

Feb 27th, '13, 00:36

by yalokinh » Feb 27th, '13, 00:36

Nice gaiwans, ill post some when i figure out how to put up photos.

+ Post Reply