Jun 2nd, '14, 10:42

Re: Amateur Hour (Non Artisan Member Made pots and cups)

by debunix » Jun 2nd, '14, 10:42

Were those her first time making teawares? Amazing.

Jun 2nd, '14, 11:23

by yalokinh » Jun 2nd, '14, 11:23

wow, those are nice :shock:

Jun 2nd, '14, 18:20

by JBaymore » Jun 2nd, '14, 18:20

Very nicely executed.... showing nice acquisition of skills. Can't wait to see things develop more.

best,

...............john

Jun 2nd, '14, 22:18
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 2nd, '14, 22:18

Very nice execution, "workwomanship" for one so new to the craft! Beautiful results.

Jun 3rd, '14, 15:51

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 3rd, '14, 15:51

William, Debunix, Yalokinh, John, Chip.....

Thank you all for the feedback and encouragement. These pots represent respectively my wife's first tea caddy and her 2nd, 3rd, and 4th attempts at gong fu teapots. She previously had made only two larger teapots and no other teaware (though she has made some really nice bowls that we eat cereal and soup from :D ) some years back. I believe she is progressing rapidly in her expressions. In the beginning Petr was a great help and my wife is sincere in her efforts to refine her process. I have given her a lot of feedback from my own tea practice and from my studies of chayi in Taiwan. As well, she has our's and my father-in-law's teapot collection to reference for details and inspection With each new piece we are assessing the piece and then pouring tea with it, testing the piece for its art, effect, and functionality. It's been an exciting and rewarding process.

Right now we only have access to fire to cone 6 or so. With the new kiln getting wired (thanks again John for the helpful recommendations on the kiln) we will have easier and more regular access to firing and also be able to fire up to cone 10. Right now we have some cone 10 pieces that have been bisque-fired and we're waiting for the new kiln to be wired to glaze fire those pieces.

My wife has been working on the full range of teaware needed for a chayi setting: pots/shibs, chahais/coolers, cups, caddies, tea plates, shuifangs/water receptacles, etc. Our intention is to create full settings (wooden, ceramic, and fabric elements). I brought wood stock back from Taiwan and am continuing to create the wooden tea tools and pieces for tea settings. Qiu Shan Tang teahouse in Taiwan has begun using some of our wooden pieces there in their formal chayi settings and classes and they have provided useful feedback.

It will be a great benefit to us to receive the feedback of the community here as things progress and we sincerely invite comment on what we are able to create. The hope would even be to provide some of these pieces to members here as gifts to use for feedback.

Thank you again everyone; I passed on the responses to my wife.

Blessings!

+ Post Reply