Apr 2nd, '13, 23:34

Re: Amateur Hour (Non Artisan Member Made pots and cups)

by biglou13 » Apr 2nd, '13, 23:34

paul haigh wrote:Very nice! You can shape a lump of clay to the form that you like, then scoop out the middle. This is one way that chawan are made. I recently went on a bender making them like that. There are some advantages in that it is well supported while you do the shaping, but you have to have a steady hand if you want it thin. (link to pic of such a pot in the process, as not to hijack the thread)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5442_n.jpg
While its not my thread. The thread was started for aspiring artisans, I don't think it's a hi jack.....

Yes I want to make that!!! Any chance you have shot of inside. Does inside contour tend to match outside.

Apr 2nd, '13, 23:41

by biglou13 » Apr 2nd, '13, 23:41

futurebird wrote:the trick with that method would be to keep it lightweight.... I could see that being very challenging!

Speaking of challenges, I'm taking a class in a few weeks!

I've worked with clay before, but what I'd like to do is try to produce a bowl that looks like it was turned on a wheel, but in fact was shaped by hand. See how deceptive I can be.
I try every now and again make bowls cups as you stated.
There is a video on you tube by Shiho kanzaki. Where he coil builds a tea bowl then finishes on banding wheel.

I alo will clean up pinch pots by running soft rubber rib on surface of clay.
It's fooled a few people.

I personally want people to know it was hand built, yet still have that finished feel.

Apr 3rd, '13, 10:14

by paul haigh » Apr 3rd, '13, 10:14

biglou13 wrote: While its not my thread. The thread was started for aspiring artisans, I don't think it's a hi jack.....

Yes I want to make that!!! Any chance you have shot of inside. Does inside contour tend to match outside.
The inside follows the outside very closely. There is a lot of feeling for thickness, scrape a little, feel again... It is pretty darned thin. Sorry, I don't have a pic of the inside (it's in my bisque kiln I think). I can take pics of that and others tonight if I remember

Apr 3rd, '13, 16:01

by yalokinh » Apr 3rd, '13, 16:01

pretty cool stuff, hope to take classes over the summer

Apr 10th, '13, 15:39

by futurebird » Apr 10th, '13, 15:39

Made at home today with yixing clay bought online. It's a small teaboat since I don't have the skill to even try much else.

Any tips to get it more smooth and less lumpy?

Can I sand it when it's dry?

I want to add some radial lines so that it helps evaporate more water.

I'm taking it to the kiln next week.

I also did some kintsugi

but I can't get the urrshi off of my hands!

Apr 10th, '13, 19:00

by AdamMY » Apr 10th, '13, 19:00

futurebird wrote:Image

Made at home today with yixing clay bought online. It's a small teaboat since I don't have the skill to even try much else.

Any tips to get it more smooth and less lumpy?

Can I sand it when it's dry?
I am sure the last thing you want to buy is more items, but potters have items called "ribs" that can be wood, metal, smooth, jagged, etc... I was recently introduced to rubber ribs, which you get them a little wet and rub them over the surface of your piece, it works wonders smoothing everything out. ( It should work on yixing clay, as it is somewhat similar to using water to join pieces of clay which I have seen yixing potters do.)

I would avoid sanding while dry at all costs, even with very fine grit sand paper it will likely only make the piece either awkard looking from many many scratches, not to mention might be a great area for stuff to grow as it will be increidbly hard to clean thoroughly. Although if you are going to glaze it sand away, as most glazes would easily fill in such small scratches.

Apr 10th, '13, 21:25

by GreenwoodStudio » Apr 10th, '13, 21:25

Never sand! Clay dust is bad for you to inhale :)

Apr 10th, '13, 21:51

by victoria3 » Apr 10th, '13, 21:51

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Never sand! Clay dust is bad for you to inhale :)
On the topic of sanding; I have a small chip on the spout of an unglazed kyusu, is it a bad idea to give it a light sanding to smooth it out?

Apr 10th, '13, 22:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 10th, '13, 22:02

victoria3 wrote:
GreenwoodStudio wrote:Never sand! Clay dust is bad for you to inhale :)
On the topic of sanding; I have a small chip on the spout of an unglazed kyusu, is it a bad idea to give it a light sanding to smooth it out?
I use a diamond file ... if the clay dust does not kill me, the filings will. But so far I am still alive.

Though I guess I should take a precaution, but it such a miniscule amount for the job at hand ...

Apr 10th, '13, 22:35

by GreenwoodStudio » Apr 10th, '13, 22:35

You can wet-sand a fired piece, Victoria. That will prevent the dust getting into the air.

Apr 10th, '13, 22:40

by futurebird » Apr 10th, '13, 22:40

burnished, but still bumpy... well we'll see how it look when it's totally bone dry and then fired.

Can one do a slip-glaze with yixing clay... hmmm (off to google)

Apr 10th, '13, 23:19

by victoria3 » Apr 10th, '13, 23:19

Chip wrote:I use a diamond file ... if the clay dust does not kill me, the filings will. But so far I am still alive.

Though I guess I should take a precaution, but it such a miniscule amount for the job at hand ...
GreenwoodStudio wrote:You can wet-sand a fired piece, Victoria. That will prevent the dust getting into the air.
Thanks for the suggestions, I just tried a wet diamond file. I seem to be making some headway, although it chipped much quicker than it takes to file it away!

Apr 11th, '13, 01:19

by futurebird » Apr 11th, '13, 01:19

AdamMY wrote:
I am sure the last thing you want to buy is more items, but potters have items called "ribs" that can be wood, metal, smooth, jagged, etc... I was recently introduced to rubber ribs, which you get them a little wet and rub them over the surface of your piece, it works wonders smoothing everything out. ( It should work on yixing clay, as it is somewhat similar to using water to join pieces of clay which I have seen yixing potters do.)

I would avoid sanding while dry at all costs, even with very fine grit sand paper it will likely only make the piece either awkard looking from many many scratches, not to mention might be a great area for stuff to grow as it will be increidbly hard to clean thoroughly. Although if you are going to glaze it sand away, as most glazes would easily fill in such small scratches.
Thanks for the advice I think it worked out OK.

Apr 11th, '13, 07:02

by JBaymore » Apr 11th, '13, 07:02

futurebird wrote:but I can't get the urrshi off of my hands!
Oh boy....... is that REAL urushi? If so.... expect a good poison ivy like rash too.

best,
..............john

Apr 11th, '13, 07:26

by futurebird » Apr 11th, '13, 07:26

I'm not allergic to it.

+ Post Reply