Sep 27th, '12, 06:45

Re: Good yixing clay for high mt. floral taiwaneese oolong?

by Alex » Sep 27th, '12, 06:45

very nice

Sep 28th, '12, 10:07

by Randee1515 » Sep 28th, '12, 10:07

what do you guys think about this?

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/458415/ ... 8ab0ad&p=2

it's #3

Sep 28th, '12, 10:32

Good yixing clay for high mt. floral taiwaneese oolong?

by debunix » Sep 28th, '12, 10:32

Better if you use his reference number--makes the links clearer even if he edits the section & changes the relative location of an individual pot on the page.

#25 is quite nice.

Sep 28th, '12, 13:21

by Tead Off » Sep 28th, '12, 13:21

I haven't had a chance to test drive any of the buncheong teapots and am happy to know that buyers are pleased with their pots.

I have a bit of bad news about Yi Yong Cheol. He is going to give up making pottery for awhile if not permanently. As many of you can imagine, it is not easy to make a living as a potter and when you have a family to support, you need to work almost constantly plus doing shows, fairs, exhibitions, etc.

I strongly suggest that you snap up whatever work strikes you of his. There will be one more firing in October and that will be it for awhile. It's a shame as his work is very good, aesthetically pleasing, and user friendly. I use his porcelain teapot and cups frequently. It's not easy to find porcelain teapots of this quality.

Sep 28th, '12, 18:36

by Randee1515 » Sep 28th, '12, 18:36

:shock:
Tead Off wrote:I haven't had a chance to test drive any of the buncheong teapots and am happy to know that buyers are pleased with their pots.

I have a bit of bad news about Yi Yong Cheol. He is going to give up making pottery for awhile if not permanently. As many of you can imagine, it is not easy to make a living as a potter and when you have a family to support, you need to work almost constantly plus doing shows, fairs, exhibitions, etc.

I strongly suggest that you snap up whatever work strikes you of his. There will be one more firing in October and that will be it for awhile. It's a shame as his work is very good, aesthetically pleasing, and user friendly. I use his porcelain teapot and cups frequently. It's not easy to find porcelain teapots of this quality.
:shock: I think I'm going to cry.

Sep 28th, '12, 20:25

by Randee1515 » Sep 28th, '12, 20:25

Since I won't be able to make a purchase terribly soon, what about these?

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/458415/ ... #gallery:8

what about 57 and/or 87 then? I know 87 is sort of low profile, but would it still make a good cup of clustered oolong?

Sep 28th, '12, 22:06

by chrl42 » Sep 28th, '12, 22:06

Tead Off wrote:I haven't had a chance to test drive any of the buncheong teapots and am happy to know that buyers are pleased with their pots.

The small city of Yixing is now ranked #7 richest city in China...

It's a sad news Korean potters aren't doing as they..reasons could be many

Korean tea drinkers are limited, while coffee and wine drinkers are increased rapidly, rest of them also went to Puerh

Advertisement is almost none..most of Korean potters are privately working with their craftsmanship and ideas...organizations almost do nothing about it. Unlike China, the Koreans are not used to act organized and associated with commerce when it comes to traditional arts.

It's a shame governments and young people care less as well (I for one..)..I give props to those who still stand and keep up with their working though :|

Sep 29th, '12, 01:17

by debunix » Sep 29th, '12, 01:17

Tead Off wrote: I have a bit of bad news about Yi Yong Cheol. He is going to give up making pottery for awhile if not permanently.
So sad to hear this. I have been watching work with great interest, enjoying watching the variety of shapes and glazes and the brilliantly subtle decorations, and enjoying especially my brilliant little pitcher, that just makes me happy every time I touch it.

Almost forgot to add, I'd use either of those pots for oolong with confidence in good results.

Sep 29th, '12, 02:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 29th, '12, 02:03

... glad I completed the "lotus set!" 8)

Potters seem to come and go ... in the West too. :cry:

Sep 29th, '12, 02:32

by Tead Off » Sep 29th, '12, 02:32

Chinese tea culture is the largest and deepest in the world. So many different types of tea grown in many regions. A lifetime is not enough to explore all the facets of tea and teaware.

In a country like Korea, much of its cultural heritage has been hidden due to Japanese occupation and repression. Generations of 'Japanese re-education' will take a long time to re-establish Korean arts although there is a growing interest amongst the Koreans. Tea and Teaware festivals have enjoyed a resurgence and a popularity that can be seen by the attendance at these events. But, as Chrl42 said, most of the potters work alone and have to mount their own marketing campaigns until they either receive wide recognition domestically or get lucky with an international following. Seong il works like a dog almost non-stop to support his family. He is out there in the public trying to reach the audience. He also has to make all of the work without helpers and is constantly creating new designs and glazes.

I have met many potters in Korea. Only a microscopic few have made money with their work and those are politically connected with Japan and not necessarily the best potters in Korea although they are called 'Treasures'. The prices for those known potters are astronomical and there is no good reason for this aside from 'connections', marketing, and dare I say 'greed'. It's a tough trade in Korea.

Sep 30th, '12, 00:05

by chrl42 » Sep 30th, '12, 00:05

Tead Off wrote:I have met many potters in Korea. Only a microscopic few have made money with their work and those are politically connected with Japan and not necessarily the best potters in Korea although they are called 'Treasures'.
Those we call 'Chin Il Pa (pro-Japanese movement)..in Korea, Chin Il Pa are considered pro-Nazi of sort.

Going to politic, it could be a hell of burden while in the field of art could be different (no one brings down Frutwangler or Karajan for that)

Anyway that's a news..it's a very sensitive issue...I just wonder from what province or whom those rumors are wandered around.

Sep 30th, '12, 02:48

by Tead Off » Sep 30th, '12, 02:48

chrl42 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:I have met many potters in Korea. Only a microscopic few have made money with their work and those are politically connected with Japan and not necessarily the best potters in Korea although they are called 'Treasures'.
Those we call 'Chin Il Pa (pro-Japanese movement)..in Korea, Chin Il Pa are considered pro-Nazi of sort.

Going to politic, it could be a hell of burden while in the field of art could be different (no one brings down Frutwangler or Karajan for that)

Anyway that's a news..it's a very sensitive issue...I just wonder from what province or whom those rumors are wandered around.
Some of the Mungyeong big wigs

+ Post Reply