Jun 18th, '14, 18:21

Re: Show off your Kettle!!

by debunix » Jun 18th, '14, 18:21

Nothing wrong with heavily decorated if it makes you happy.

Jun 19th, '14, 00:02

by hopeofdawn » Jun 19th, '14, 00:02

Possibly a dumb question--has anyone used a traditional kettle over an alcohol-type stove (like a camping stove) instead of charcoal? Do you run the risk of it rusting out faster if you do? I don't have the space for a charcoal brazier, but have thought more than once of giving it a try with my little camp stove ...

Jun 19th, '14, 05:10

by Oni » Jun 19th, '14, 05:10

hopeofdawn wrote:Possibly a dumb question--has anyone used a traditional kettle over an alcohol-type stove (like a camping stove) instead of charcoal? Do you run the risk of it rusting out faster if you do? I don't have the space for a charcoal brazier, but have thought more than once of giving it a try with my little camp stove ...
I advise you not to use your any of your kettles on alcool, direct flame gas stove, charcoal is ideal, or use a metal plate to place on the gas or alcool stove so that the flame does not directly touch your kettle.
Gas and alcool are wet flames, they cause rust where it touches the tetsubin, it is best avoided.
For further info check out Hojotea for more info.

Jun 19th, '14, 10:10

by JBaymore » Jun 19th, '14, 10:10

Basic Combustion:

CH4 + 2 O2 = CO2 + 2 H2O

C+ O2 = CO2

Note the H2O in the first equation.... natural gas. That is the "wet flame" concept......... by-product of this type of combustion is water vapor.

Charcoal is pretty pure carbon. Just CO and CO2 produced. Alcohols chemical compositions are varied, but are like CH3OH. Any "hydrocarbon" fuel has hydrogen.... and produces water vapor.

best,

.................john

Jun 20th, '14, 00:51

by hopeofdawn » Jun 20th, '14, 00:51

Thanks for the advice, guys--I guess the camp stove is out.

I'd love to experiment with charcoal someday, but short of hauling it somewhere outside, I'm not sure I can afford to deal with the expense, the space or the mess it would all take. :(

Jun 20th, '14, 01:07

by Teaism » Jun 20th, '14, 01:07

I use my tetsubin without thinking much on gas, alcohol burner, heating coils, charcoal,hot plates and even once on MSR jet fuel burner when camping. There are rust mark outside but I'm fine with it. I am more particular on the interior and make sure there really dry after every use. This is a Kunzan mid range tetsubin

I special ordered 2 handmade highly prized tetsubin from Japan, one tetsubin and another in satetsu and I will be much more cautious when they arrive. It is a 3 years waiting period for those orders. Would only consider charcoal and heating coils from Japan on these prized tetsubin. Anyway, the waiting period is still far away and I will use the current ones without any considerations.

Cheers! :D

Jun 21st, '14, 12:12

by chinablack » Jun 21st, '14, 12:12

The only tetsubin I have has a light glazing on the interior of the pot and cups. Didn't know they might be had otherwise, but such would be problematic. Do dry mine well, though after use.

Jun 21st, '14, 22:52
Vendor Member

Show off your Kettle!!

by blairswhitaker » Jun 21st, '14, 22:52

chinablack wrote:The only tetsubin I have has a light glazing on the interior of the pot and cups. Didn't know they might be had otherwise, but such would be problematic. Do dry mine well, though after use.
What you have is not a kettle. What we are talking about in this thread are kettles for heating the water in, you are describing a cast iron teapot made for steeping tea in. The iron teapots have an enamel or plastic lining and often come with matching cups, I have never heard of nor seen a kettle with matching cups. I would strongly advise against using your teapot to try and heat water in.

Jun 21st, '14, 23:15

by chinablack » Jun 21st, '14, 23:15

blairswhitaker wrote:
chinablack wrote:The only tetsubin I have has a light glazing on the interior of the pot and cups. Didn't know they might be had otherwise, but such would be problematic. Do dry mine well, though after use.
What you have is not a kettle. What we are talking about in this thread are kettles for heating the water in, you are describing a cast iron teapot made for steeping tea in. The iron teapots have an enamel or plastic lining and often come with matching cups, I have never heard of nor seen a kettle with matching cups. I would strongly advise against using your teapot to try and heat water in.
Thank you for your caution. However, I don't use it to heat the water.

Jun 22nd, '14, 06:56

Show off your Kettle!!

by Pig Hog » Jun 22nd, '14, 06:56

I have my eye on a couple of (currently cheap) tetsubin on eBay. I really don't have the spare cash but if I can get one for under £100, I think I'd be stupid not to!

Jun 24th, '14, 02:29

by tst » Jun 24th, '14, 02:29

Just some advice based off my limited experience ...

I have purchased several used, antique tetsubins over the past few years, and will be buying a new, Hojo tetsubin this year. The antiques are wonderful to look at and will bring character to any tea space, but I've found them to be a major gamble. Whether it's pitting due to rust, or just gunk buildup over the years, I have not had a positive experience trying to find a usable, antique tetsubin.

That being said, I'm positive it's possible to find usable, working antique tetsubins, I just haven't had that luck so far, and won't be putting any more money towards trying.

Jun 24th, '14, 10:09

by JBaymore » Jun 24th, '14, 10:09

tst,

What kinds of price points have you been trying to accomplish this with?

best,

............john

Jun 24th, '14, 10:16

Show off your Kettle!!

by Pig Hog » Jun 24th, '14, 10:16

I've realised the one's I'm eyeing are less expensive because they're small but I don't think I need a massive tetsubin. I'm trying to ascertain exactly how much water they'll hold but I think I'll give it my best shot at winning one.

Jun 24th, '14, 12:06

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 24th, '14, 12:06

I have one antique tetsubin that I purchased from Kuraya Antiques in San Francisco. Each time they are expecting a new shipment of items from Japan they often put their current stock of items on sale (Taylor, if you are in the city, its worth stopping in to one of their two locations to take a look around; they only put some of the stock up online) I really appreciate its smaller size, aged but well-kept disposition, and its immaculate pour. I paid $370. It's been well cared for and has a nice layer of maintained rust inside.

In the house I have two tetsubin (one antique/vintage and one new Yamagata style Seiko kettle), two silver kettles (one small, on large), three clay kettles (a Taiwanese unglazed clay kettle and two (one small, one large) glazed clay kettles) and a Bonavita. This little kettle is by far my favorite:

My second tetsubin is a Seiko kettle that I purchased from Yahoo Japan, through Jauce.com, for $200 new (total of $250 with fees and shipping). It came coated in traditional urushi inside and with use a rusty sheen is beginning to peak through the urushi. I appreciate its subdued presence and comparably larger size.

Jun 24th, '14, 13:23

Show off your Kettle!!

by Pig Hog » Jun 24th, '14, 13:23

What do you reckon are the benefits of buying new over used and vice versa?

EDIT: apart from the two used Nanbu tetsubin I'm watching on eBay, I'm very tempted to buy one new, from Hojo, yet also fairly reluctant to find out how much they cost!

+ Post Reply