Jun 26th, '13, 15:37

Re: Do you guys use scales?

by tenuki » Jun 26th, '13, 15:37

yanom wrote: As if, using scales makes sense when baking bread but not when making tea.
I didn't make any progress baking bread reliably until I gave up my scale and just went for the feel of the dough. <shrug> Unfortunately I've had no success teaching others that 'this here is just right' - apparently no substitute for experience. Come to think of it the guy who first taught me how to bake bread was so frustrated with me because I wasn't getting him saying 'here, this is right, can you feel it?'.... ;) Occasionally people ask me to teach them how to make bread, and I show them my way but tell them to do it by weight for a while, pay close attention to the results, and eventually it will become obvious and they can stop weighing. Sometimes that happens, sometimes not. Whatever works.

Jun 30th, '13, 15:15

by lordmage » Jun 30th, '13, 15:15

well that was a most informative teabate on scales and there use or non use.

for me i do not want to use a scale to make my tea i would rather start with a guide line either 2 grams per 8oz of water or one tsp per 8 oz of water, just an example. seeing how the size of the leaf can vary the weight and volume in a spoon. i tend to think along the lines of a westerner here. i have at this point new in the loose leaf world a 16oz infuser from teavana. the one with the basket at the bottom for gravity filing a cup or two. this has helped me know for a fact i have two 8 oz cups of water if i stop at the correct point. so then it comes down to how much sweetener i use to taste but i tend to stick to 3 scoops from the prefect teaspoon which produces a mildly sweetened tea. the last steep is the leaf which is always different depending on type my white teas i use 3 measures from the same teaspoon whatever comes out. for my greens i can do any were between 1 - 3 in my two cup infuser. i am going to start using a new one but i am still testing it. so far i know it is a 20oz pot. looks exactly like http://www.lmftea.com/LMF%20Tea/images/20 oz%20Norpro.jpg this. at the moment thou i only use it to help fill my other infuser.

Jul 1st, '13, 11:23

by hopeofdawn » Jul 1st, '13, 11:23

I use a scale for Japanese tea, because I don't like my sencha too strong, and I always seem to underestimate how much tea I'm using if I don't. Otherwise I mostly brew by intuition, unless I'm doing a tasting where I'm trying to keep amounts as exact as possible for cross-comparison.

Jul 3rd, '13, 05:47

by looseTman » Jul 3rd, '13, 05:47

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:
looseTman wrote:Hi victoria3, Thanks for your reply & for pointing out the other thread. The AWS-1KG Digital Scale (1000 x 0.1g) appears to be a popular cost-effective model. I've seen it mentioned several times.
I have the same scale and it is a nice scale; it's portable and works well (it's also inexpensive). I bought the 100g calibration weight with mine to check the scale and it has always been correct.
Thanks for your evaluation of the AWS-1KG. Do you find that the auto-shutoff feature provide sufficient time to measure loose tea?

Thanks!

Jul 3rd, '13, 05:58

by looseTman » Jul 3rd, '13, 05:58

Tead Off wrote:
looseTman wrote:Additional recommendations would also be appreciated. Thanks
My AWS just died after a few years of regular use. The climate here in Bangkok is not kind to electrical appliances. But, I can recommend this scale and the size of it which I found excellent for uses both for tea and precious metals. Keep in mind, that the smaller pocket scales will not be useful for weighing things like a puerh cake or some packaged teas because many of these platforms are too small or awkward to get an easy, accurate reading. The AWS easily fits in a pocket. I think it's a good choice.
Thanks for your evaluation of the AWS pocket scales.

- Do you have any recommendations for larger platform scales?

Jul 3rd, '13, 06:15

by looseTman » Jul 3rd, '13, 06:15

Has anyone purchased this scale?
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-we ... e-700.html
It includes:
  • A larger 5.5" x 5" platform
  • Programmable Auto-Off
  • AC/DC operation
  • 700 g x 0.1 g
Unfortunately, it's much more expensive.

- Are there similar models that are both reliable and more cost-effective?
Last edited by looseTman on Jul 3rd, '13, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 3rd, '13, 06:22

by looseTman » Jul 3rd, '13, 06:22

Tea Scale Capacity?

How large a weighing capacity is recommended for residential tea applications including loose tea, packaged tea, & Pu-erh cakes?

Thanks!

Jul 3rd, '13, 08:45

by MacGuffin » Jul 3rd, '13, 08:45

looseTman wrote:Has anyone purchased this scale?
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-we ... 2-550.html . It has everything you need for tea, including excellent capacity. I wish it measured grams to the 100th but 0.10 is fine.

Jul 3rd, '13, 09:23

by looseTman » Jul 3rd, '13, 09:23

Jul 3rd, '13, 12:28

by Evan Draper » Jul 3rd, '13, 12:28

looseTman wrote:Tea Scale Capacity?

How large a weighing capacity is recommended for residential tea applications including loose tea, packaged tea, & Pu-erh cakes?
Only you can answer that question. Will you be repackaging any half-kilo bags, or brewing any two-gallon teapots? Traditional bing is 357g, some are 400g and even larger. Will half that capacity do for splitting bings with your friends? Or are you going to be validating your bing weights to call out your dealer? You can always get a lower-capacity/high-sensitivity scale and then buy another higher-capacity/lower-sensitivity one if you need it. With my scale, the weight of the teapot will not count towards maximum capacity if you tare the scale with the pot on it, though I imagine it may be less reliable.

Jul 3rd, '13, 18:18

by MacGuffin » Jul 3rd, '13, 18:18

I've already read these posts. Is there something I'm missing?

Jul 4th, '13, 12:07

by looseTman » Jul 4th, '13, 12:07

MacGuffin wrote:
http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-we ... 2-550.html . It has everything you need for tea, including excellent capacity. I wish it measured grams to the 100th but 0.10 is fine.
Per the My Weigh website, the IBALANCE series is for both http://www.myweigh.com/cooking.html and http://www.myweigh.com/business.html applications.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-we ... 2-550.html (platform Size - 3.1" x 2.7") also has troy ounces.

The reason I asked about the i700 model is because it:
  • Doesn't have a mandatory battery-saving auto-shutoff feature
  • Stainless steel 5.5" x 5" weighing platform
Tead Off wrote:Keep in mind, that the smaller pocket scales will not be useful for weighing things like a puerh cake or some packaged teas because many of these platforms are too small or awkward to get an easy, accurate reading.
The obvious disadvantage of the i700 is the cost.
- Are there other similar models that are both reliable and more cost-effective?

For a digital My Weigh pocket scale, the current model http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-we ... 2-660.html caught my eye:
  • 660 g x 0.1 g
  • Stainless steel platform size - 3" x 2.125"
  • A Removable Rubber Bumper for Stability & Protection
  • 10,000 division German HBM weighing sensors
  • WeighMeter™ Technology
  • Takes less width on a kitchen counter (The weighing platform is behind the display versus beside it.)
The other digital pocket scale that's been frequently mentioned is the AWS-IKG (Stainless steel platform size - 2.5 x 3"): However, it's so inexpensive, I wonder how long it will last:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Si ... ewpoints=1

Jul 4th, '13, 17:09

by MacGuffin » Jul 4th, '13, 17:09

looseTman wrote:
MacGuffin wrote:
Per the My Weigh website, the IBALANCE series is for both http://www.myweigh.com/cooking.html and http://www.myweigh.com/business.html applications.

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-we ... 2-550.html (platform Size - 3.1" x 2.7") also has troy ounces.

The reason I asked about the i700 model is because it:
  • Doesn't have a mandatory battery-saving auto-shutoff feature
  • Stainless steel 5.5" x 5" weighing platform
Tead Off wrote:Keep in mind, that the smaller pocket scales will not be useful for weighing things like a puerh cake or some packaged teas because many of these platforms are too small or awkward to get an easy, accurate reading.
The obvious disadvantage of the i700 is the cost.
- Are there other similar models that are both reliable and more cost-effective?

For a digital My Weigh pocket scale, the current model http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-we ... 2-660.html caught my eye:
  • 660 g x 0.1 g
  • Stainless steel platform size - 3" x 2.125"
  • A Removable Rubber Bumper for Stability & Protection
  • 10,000 division German HBM weighing sensors
  • WeighMeter™ Technology
  • Takes less width on a kitchen counter (The weighing platform is behind the display versus beside it.)
The other digital pocket scale that's been frequently mentioned is the AWS-IKG (Stainless steel platform size - 2.5 x 3"): However, it's so inexpensive, I wonder how long it will last:
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Si ... ewpoints=1
I was aware at the time I posted that the more expensive scale has both greater capacity than mine and troy ounces (as a non-practicing gemologist with a jewelry background, I'm very familiar with industry weight systems and their units) but even a half-kilo is a LOT of tea, by volume, to be weighed at one time; more, I'd think, than most tea drinkers (Chip and his OTTI dealings excluded) would be dealing with on a regular basis. I'm guessing that those who handle such large amounts, e.g. dealers, use commercial scales and have their favorites. I'm not sure what difference a stainless steel platform would make for tea. One of my kitchen scales (also a My Weigh) is so equipped and I like it because it cleans up well but it's subjected to bowls, flying flour, liquids, etc., unlike the Triton which, as far as I can remember, has never turned itself off while in use.

I usually see puerh cakes sold pre-weighed and am inclined to take the vendor at his word. I have an untouched 400 g sheng bing from Seven Cups that I pulled out for argument's sake. The box my nutmeg grater lives in is small, deep, and lightweight so I used its bottom to elevate the bing, which weighed in at 408.1 g (it's still in its paper). I'm not familiar with American Weigh; I am with Ozeri (mnyeh) and Soehnle (excellent) but I don't think either manufactures pocket scales. Be aware that as much as I like my Triton and have nothing but good things to say about it, My Weigh's customer support is so bad as to be like something out of literature (on the other hand, it's probable that they can be depended upon to ding Amazon reviews and subsequent comments that criticize said support). They don't answer their phone (even on your dime), don't respond to messages, and can't be bothered with e-mail. A shame because I like the MW scales I own. And that's a cute little scale; as always, check out the negative reviews. They might or might not be germane to your needs.

Jul 4th, '13, 18:23

by looseTman » Jul 4th, '13, 18:23

Hi MacGuffin,

Our primary purpose for a scale is to accurately measure the needed quantity for a cup or pot of tea. A larger capacity scale is obviously more useful and also less likely to be damaged by too much weight. For several years, we've typically purchased 1-2 lbs. or 500g - 1kg of our favorite teas at a time to take advantage of quantity discounts.
... the Triton which, as far as I can remember, has never turned itself off while in use.
That sounds encouraging.

I understand:
The Durascale does have an auto-off feature so after about 30 seconds of no activity the scale would shut off.
Is that typically enough time for weighing loose tea?
They don't answer their phone (even on your dime), don't respond to messages, and can't be bothered with e-mail. A shame because I like the MW scales I own.
That's definitely not appealing especially if one is considering one of their more expensive models.

- Does Old Will Knot Scales provide the needed customer support for WM scales?
And that's a cute little scale
- To which scale are referring - the MW DuraScale D2 660 g x 0.1 g ?

Thanks!

Jul 5th, '13, 22:15
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 5th, '13, 22:15

My first scale is also my last ... though discussions such as this always makes me wonder if it is time to purchase a new one. In fact, I have avoided looking at all the links in this topic since I like measuring gadgets including electronic scales ... and I would likely get into an analysis paralysis with all the options available today.

Mine is quite archaic, purchased before the wave of newer scales began ... back then they had a much lower weight capaicity (100 grams max for this one) if you wanted high resolution (this has an odd resolution of .05 grams) and precision. They were also much more expensive, I could buy a six pack of new scales for what I paid.

Yet, it has never failed me, never needed recalibration (glad I did not buy the optional calibration weight!). It tares and the auto shut-off is never a factor. In fact, I turn it on, weigh, and allow it to turn itself off.

I realize now that it is approaching its 10th birthday!

I guess I could only hope that whatever you purchase that it brings you as much satisfaction as mine has.

If I was to buy another, I would want a higher weight capacity. Someone mentioned buying two scales, one with low capacity/high resolution and one with higher capacity and lower resolution ... this makes a lot of sense to me!

+ Post Reply