Mar 6th, '13, 03:19

Re: NEW! Official Teaware of the Day!

by Maneki Neko » Mar 6th, '13, 03:19

That panda teapot looks awesome - although I think it looks more like a pig than a panda. The other wares are nice too, and I love the chairs :mrgreen:

Can you post a close-up of that stunning gaiwan?

Mar 6th, '13, 09:43

by Muadeeb » Mar 6th, '13, 09:43

blairswhitaker wrote:Muadeeb you must be familiar with Mad Monk Tea in ocean beach? I am one of the regulars there. I also like the leaf and kettle in del mar. good learners set up you have going on.
Yes, Mad Monk is a great spot. I always have some tea with Taylor before picking up some GABA or 4 Seasons.

Mar 6th, '13, 09:47

by Muadeeb » Mar 6th, '13, 09:47

blairswhitaker wrote:Muadeeb you must be familiar with Mad Monk Tea in ocean beach? I am one of the regulars there. I also like the leaf and kettle in del mar. good learners set up you have going on.
Actually, I just noticed your name, and I think Taylor has mentioned you as one of the guys he's learned a lot from. You make your own ceramics and are planning a road trip with him to the desert in the next couple months, right?

Mar 6th, '13, 10:03

by Muadeeb » Mar 6th, '13, 10:03

Maneki Neko wrote:That panda teapot looks awesome - although I think it looks more like a pig than a panda. The other wares are nice too, and I love the chairs :mrgreen:

Can you post a close-up of that stunning gaiwan?
IMAG0902.jpg
IMAG0902.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
I wouldn't call it a stunner, it's the basic $8 one at enjoyingtea.com. Learning how to use it properly has been a bit challenging. I burn my fingers, dragonwell leaves slip through to my cup, and sometimes it spills over the sides. Nowhere to go but up!

Mar 9th, '13, 10:27

by futurebird » Mar 9th, '13, 10:27

The slate tiles (roof tiles) that I have found are making great brewing surfaces.

Mar 10th, '13, 03:54
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Mar 10th, '13, 03:54

gyo time...

Untitled by blairswhitaker, on Flickr

Mar 10th, '13, 03:54
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Mar 10th, '13, 03:54

Muadeeb wrote:
Actually, I just noticed your name, and I think Taylor has mentioned you as one of the guys he's learned a lot from. You make your own ceramics and are planning a road trip with him to the desert in the next couple months, right?
yeah thats me haha...

Mar 10th, '13, 10:05

by David R. » Mar 10th, '13, 10:05

blairswhitaker wrote:gyo time...

Untitled by blairswhitaker, on Flickr
Funny nose on this one. :)

Mar 10th, '13, 10:16

by vacuithe » Mar 10th, '13, 10:16

looks like Watanabe Tozo...

teaware of the day, of the week, and of the month is for me an Eiichi's Yunomi.
rock5b.jpg
rock5b.jpg (19.72 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

Mar 10th, '13, 11:01

by Maneki Neko » Mar 10th, '13, 11:01

That is just like a mountain side with snow :D

I'm looking for an affordable, small, and handy porcelain teapot for my daily Sencha and Genmaicha. I have my Banko which I use when I have a lot of time; a cheap Japanese teapot with a stainless infuser basket that's a bit too small and high up; and a glass teapot in which I brew my daily green now. But the spout gets a messy little residue inside that I can't reach and it is anyway a bit delicate to clean. I need an easily cleanable, convenient workhorse teapot :mrgreen:

Mar 11th, '13, 10:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Mar 11th, '13, 10:30

Maneki Neko wrote:That is just like a mountain side with snow :D

I'm looking for an affordable, small, and handy porcelain teapot for my daily Sencha and Genmaicha. I have my Banko which I use when I have a lot of time; a cheap Japanese teapot with a stainless infuser basket that's a bit too small and high up; and a glass teapot in which I brew my daily green now. But the spout gets a messy little residue inside that I can't reach and it is anyway a bit delicate to clean. I need an easily cleanable, convenient workhorse teapot :mrgreen:
When I was looking for a small porcelain pot for oolong, this pot was recommended to me and I find that it works great for what it is. Though I have used it exclusively for oolongs, I think that it could probably handle greens as well?
https://www.teatrekker.com/teawares/bone-china-teapot

Though now that I'm remembering you're in Australia, there might be other pots that are closer to you...

Mar 11th, '13, 11:36

by JRS22 » Mar 11th, '13, 11:36

The same pot is available from Yunnan Sourcing, which might have lower shipping costs to Australia. The holes are a bit large for Sencha.

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1386

Mar 11th, '13, 13:29

by NPE » Mar 11th, '13, 13:29

JRS22 wrote:The same pot is available from Yunnan Sourcing, which might have lower shipping costs to Australia. The holes are a bit large for Sencha.

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1386
Sorry to have to say that I cannot recommend this one. I just received that same teapot and it turned out to be the worst pourer that I have so far. Not only is the hole in the lid too small, even when the lid is lifted slightly will the first drops go everywhere other than your cup. I am sure that I have seen a website recently that had a lot of good looking porcelain teapots on. I will have a look if I can find it again and report back

Edit: that did not take as long as I thought :D
Take a look at http://www.chawangshop.com/index.php/te ... apots.html
They look nice (with a potential for pouring into the intended direction) and do not break the bank

Mar 11th, '13, 14:55
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Mar 11th, '13, 14:55

Maneki Neko wrote:That is just like a mountain side with snow :D

here are some teapots actually intended for use with the type of tea you are planning to use it with.

http://www.everyonestea.com/product/152

http://umamimart.com/shop/index.php?rou ... duct_id=59

http://zentealife.com/index.php/teaware ... T4oio44Q20

http://umamimart.com/shop/index.php?rou ... duct_id=59

Mar 11th, '13, 15:23

by edkrueger » Mar 11th, '13, 15:23

Just so you know, I have seen those one on umamimart in person and I find them too large for my hands and I have big hands.

+ Post Reply