Dec 9th, '12, 23:12
Scrolling: fixed

Re: Looking for an electric kettle: I'd appreciate some help

by TomVerlain » Dec 9th, '12, 23:12

one interesting (and off topic) thing is that high atop mt fuji your water "boils" at 189 degerees F.

On topic - I use an induction cooktop and an old school enamel insided "whistling" kettle to boil water for tea. I never fill the kettle, so all the liquid is at the same temperature. Still possible to boil it dry, but the induction does have a fail mode where it turns off if the surface gets too hot. So it won't start a fire if you for some reason do not turn it off.

Induction is very fast, efficent, and the top does not get searing hot. It does have a fan, so it is not quite. Obviously not as zen as a tetsubin on a charcoal brazier, but practical.

Dec 13th, '12, 16:39

by fire_snake » Dec 13th, '12, 16:39

Hi everyone, my apologies. I'm back a little late.

I should have clarified that I'd rather not have the heating element contact the water. It can still be on the bottom of the kettle, though, rather than the base.

Does that make it easier to recommend something?

Thank you everyone for making this an interesting thread, all the same. :)

Dec 13th, '12, 18:29

by fire_snake » Dec 13th, '12, 18:29

minor_glitch wrote:I just got the Bonavita variable temp gooseneck pot and aside from getting used to the somewhat odd functionality of the buttons, I'm really impressed with it. Especially with how accurate the pour is. I bet I could fill a gonfu cup from 10 feet away without spilling a drop!

Well THAT certainly looks good. Where is the heating element?

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/bonavi ... views-list

Dec 13th, '12, 19:11

by ImmortaliTEA » Dec 13th, '12, 19:11

fire_snake wrote:
minor_glitch wrote:I just got the Bonavita variable temp gooseneck pot and aside from getting used to the somewhat odd functionality of the buttons, I'm really impressed with it. Especially with how accurate the pour is. I bet I could fill a gonfu cup from 10 feet away without spilling a drop!

Well THAT certainly looks good. Where is the heating element?

I'm looking at this one:

http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/bonavi ... views-list
That's the one I have and it's definitely one of the best "pouring" kettles I've used, however, you have to decide if you don't mind having to re-boil new water semi-often because for me this kettle is a little on the small side and I always have to re-fill it with water at least 2-4 times minimum for one session of a few different teas (although I've heard that this is a good thing that is preferred in China because its always fresh water that never gets stale and overboiled). I usually go with a light oolong, then either a roasted Gao Shan or a Yan Cha (preferably Shui Xian), and finish it off with an aged puerh from 95' or prior. But for one tea it should last a session depending on the size of your teapot/brewing vessel.

Dec 13th, '12, 20:27
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 13th, '12, 20:27

Immortaltea,

Wow! 2 - 4 liters of tea in one session! Anyway, I use the same kettle & feel the same about it as you. I drink a few liters of tea in a day, not a session, & don't mind putting in one liter a few times a day. The gooseneck spout makes life easy.

Dec 13th, '12, 22:57

by fire_snake » Dec 13th, '12, 22:57

That Bonavita is looking better with each post.

I don't mind the capacity at all. I don't need advanced temp controls. Auto-off is the main draw for me, as well as that incredible spout. I assume the heating element doesn't touch the water. Yes? No?

Dec 20th, '12, 18:51

by fire_snake » Dec 20th, '12, 18:51

The heating element does not contact the water.

Look like the Bonavita is it! It's got everything I'm looking for.

Thank you all for your kind replies. :)

Christian

Dec 28th, '12, 13:57

by fire_snake » Dec 28th, '12, 13:57

The kettle, she has arrived!

Thank you all for your kind help.
Attachments
IMG_2939.jpg
On my table . . .
IMG_2939.jpg (19.77 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

Dec 28th, '12, 14:56

by ImmortaliTEA » Dec 28th, '12, 14:56

No problem at all. I think you will like that kettle a lot. I know I do. Let us know what you think after a few uses!

Dec 28th, '12, 15:31
Vendor Member

by ethan » Dec 28th, '12, 15:31

fire_snake, If that's a Buddha made of wood, a bit of moisture from the kettle might help prevent cracks due to dryness. I have the same kettle & after a couple of weeks, really came to love using it. Enjoy.

Dec 29th, '12, 12:53

by fire_snake » Dec 29th, '12, 12:53

ethan wrote:fire_snake, If that's a Buddha made of wood, a bit of moisture from the kettle might help prevent cracks due to dryness. I have the same kettle & after a couple of weeks, really came to love using it. Enjoy.
Yes, it's a wooden Buddha. And that's a great idea! :)

Dec 30th, '12, 10:12

by fire_snake » Dec 30th, '12, 10:12

Just a quick observation:

It's interesting how a thin, controlled pour, directed at the right place, can make for a more nuanced cup.

Just goes to show how nearly every detail in the act of brewing tea contributes to what ends up in the cup, and in no insignificant way.

Dec 30th, '12, 21:51

by amaranto » Dec 30th, '12, 21:51

I just got a Bonavita variable-temperature gooseneck and love it. It's a very sturdy kettle that looks nice and, like everyone has pointed out, has a handy controlled pour.

Dec 30th, '12, 22:12

by Neist » Dec 30th, '12, 22:12

Just chiming in as another owner and fan of the Bonavita variable gooseneck Kettle.

Highly recommended. :)

Apr 22nd, '13, 12:12

by hopeofdawn » Apr 22nd, '13, 12:12

Decided to treat myself for my birthday--so I finally pulled the trigger and got the Bonavita variable temp kettle too! I have to give another +1--I've only had it for a couple of days, but I love being able to set temperatures, and have it hold at a different one. Plus it pours like a dream, and the digital readout showing the current temp of the water is very handy too! So far, a definite winner--and I never would have found out about this kettle without Teachat. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply