SampleTea Yixing teapots

Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

SampleTea Yixing teapots

Postby Exempt » Dec 27th, '12, 01:15

I was wondering what the general consensus was on the yixing teapots from sampletea. There have been a couple posts and I realize that some of the claims may be false, such as age, but if the clay is decent I may pick up one of the smaller pots. If anyone owns one and could give their opinion on their teapot it would be much appreciated.

Exempt
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 09, '12
Location: Seattle

Re: SampleTea Yixing teapots

Postby ImmortaliTEA » Dec 27th, '12, 02:18

Exempt wrote:I was wondering what the general consensus was on the yixing teapots from sampletea. There have been a couple posts and I realize that some of the claims may be false, such as age, but if the clay is decent I may pick up one of the smaller pots. If anyone owns one and could give their opinion on their teapot it would be much appreciated.


I think I would avoid all of the Nei Zi Wai Hong pots but definitely stick to the pure clays. The Factory 5 medium fired pure Hong Ni pots are great and the craftsmanship and pour is especially nice on the Mao Mei Zhen ones. I have not had any bad experience with them personally and I have bought about 10 of their pots!

Last edited by ImmortaliTEA on Dec 27th, '12, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar ImmortaliTEA
Posts: 227
Joined: Apr 12, '12
Location: Sunrise, FL

Re: SampleTea Yixing teapots

Postby Exempt » Dec 27th, '12, 02:35

Thanks for the response. The Mao Mei Zhen teapot is actually the exact one I was looking at. For the fairly low price I will probably go ahead and buy one.

Exempt
Posts: 403
Joined: Dec 09, '12
Location: Seattle

Re: SampleTea Yixing teapots

Postby tieguanyin » Dec 27th, '12, 22:04

ImmortaliTEA wrote:I think I would avoid all of the Nei Zi Wai Hong pots but definitely stick to the pure clays. The Factory 5 medium fired pure Hong Ni pots are great and the craftsmanship and pour is especially nice on the Mao Mei Zhen ones. I have not had any bad experience with them personally and I have bought about 10 of their pots!


Out of curiosity, why would you avoid the Nei Zi Wai Hong teapots? Does the combination of of zhuni clay on the outside and the zini clay on the inside make for a bat steap?

User avatar tieguanyin
Posts: 32
Joined: Sep 01, '09
Location: cha nirvana

Re: SampleTea Yixing teapots

Postby wyardley » Dec 27th, '12, 23:13

tieguanyin wrote:
ImmortaliTEA wrote:I think I would avoid all of the Nei Zi Wai Hong pots but definitely stick to the pure clays.


Out of curiosity, why would you avoid the Nei Zi Wai Hong teapots?

I actually thought those look relatively fairly priced relative to the other teaware on the site, and better than some of the others (though I believe the suggestion that the outside is zhuni rather than hongni is either a misunderstanding or straight up incorrect).

I've purchased a few pots from them, and have had some back and forth with the owner about the age / provenance of the pots.

None have been real stinkers, but I do think that some of the prices are a bit high, and that some of the information may be incorrect or misleading.

I have one of the #5 factory ones (interesting that the clay looks the same, but half are described as hongni and half as qingshuini -- I think they all look like qingshuini). The material seems pretty good (better than expected), but the buttons on top all look a little bit too large to me.

User avatar wyardley
Posts: 2062
Joined: Jan 11, '07
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest