Mar 4th, '13, 05:13

Re: Boiling new teaware?

by Josh m » Mar 4th, '13, 05:13

Hi everyone!
This is my first post on teachat, but I've been searching through here trying to find some answers so i apologise if I missed some obvious information!! I just received my first kyusu today from artistic nippon, and am unsure about how exactly to best prepare this new pot before use. I believe it's moulded and then its exterior was finished on a wheel, so how (if at all) would it change its preparation having been made in a mould? I heard a rumour that the clay could be weaker in a moulded teapot compared to a completely hand moulded pot and that boiling could somehow strengthen it?? Does anyone have any experience on if this is fact or fiction? And is a good rinse or possibly a soak going to be enough?
Thanks everyone, look forward to being a part of this community!

Mar 4th, '13, 06:59

by Alex » Mar 4th, '13, 06:59

I've never heard about that. Doesnt sound right to me.

Anyway for a new kyusu off AN I'd rinse it with hot water then get brewing.

Mar 4th, '13, 09:31

by edkrueger » Mar 4th, '13, 09:31

Th heat of boiling water isn't going to do anything for hardening the clay. The reason for boiling I know is to knock loose grit in porous clays, but a rinse and maybe a soak should be sufficient for a tokoname pot.

Mar 4th, '13, 10:26

by paul haigh » Mar 4th, '13, 10:26

A guy I know that is a serious collector boils everything. He claims that there's quite a smell/residue left in the water from wood fired pots, but I wonder how much of that would be perceptible as it was in the pot. Hagi and other more porous clays could retain more smells, and not just from the fire.

Having sold over a thousand coffee/tea cups, I never had a complaint or comment about residual smell etc- but that also may change a bit with firing methods that some use to get a particular effect (reduced cooling or long periods of downfiring may cause more smoke residue, I would guess).

I fire hot and shut it down at top temp. My guess- the pots will never be cleaner than when the kiln is just opened. If that pot sat in someone's basement for months/years- all bets are off.

Mar 4th, '13, 11:24

by debunix » Mar 4th, '13, 11:24

I rinsed my tokoname pots (purchased new) with boiling water, and that was enough.

Mar 4th, '13, 14:50

by Josh m » Mar 4th, '13, 14:50

yeah boiling to strengthen didn't really sound right to me either, but being new i thought i better double check... thanks for the help!

+ Post Reply