Feb 9th, '13, 16:28

Re: Where to buy a real Yixing teapot

by edkrueger » Feb 9th, '13, 16:28

brunogm wrote:I am not a collector in the sense that I do not intend to buy more pots when my collection is finished.
Sure... you aren't a collector... :D

Feb 9th, '13, 17:20

by tingjunkie » Feb 9th, '13, 17:20

dim_aa wrote: May we should have an official yixing suggestion tread?
No. Horrible idea, and here's why... A) The pot chooses the tea. No one can tell what pot will pair with what tea just from photos. B) Learning to pair pots with tea is a skill you can develop with a little practice and experience. There are a multitude of tests and experiments which have been cataloged here on the forum which are easy to conduct. If you let others pair your pots for you, what do you learn? C) Everyone's taste is different. A perfect yancha pot for me, may not be a perfect yancha pot for you.

Maybe, just maybe, we should have a "Does this look like quality clay?" thread. Just be prepared for a lot of, "Are you f'ing serious?" responses. :lol: The only way to learn good clay from bad is looking at a ton of photos of good and bad pots, handling and testing a lot of real pots, and learning over time.
dim_aa wrote:Anyway. I was looking for a small yixing pot for high fire oolong for solo brewing and have found one here in NYC that is about 80ml. It loos like zisha/zini clay and it is pretty cheap.
What do you think about it? Is it worth buying, considering that it is difficult to find a small pot?
More importantly, what do YOU think about it? For me, the enjoyment of Yixing comes from finding a pot I really appreciate, whether it's for the shape, the craftsmanship, the artistry, the clay, etc., and then taking care of it over time. Any Yixing pot I have is an investment. I'll spend time seasoning it with good tea, brushing tea on to it to develop a nice patina and glow, rubbing it down after a session, and watching it change over time. Why would I want to invest all that time, energy, and good tea in a crappy mass produced pot with little character and below average clay? It would be like spending time and effort sharpening and honing kitchen knives from the dollar store. Sure, if that's all you can afford, then I understand, and have fun enjoying what you have. Personally I'd think you'd be better off spending the money on good tea instead, or having one good pot instead of four questionable ones.

Yixing is not a hobby that works out well for impatient beginners. Trust me, I know from experience. Slow down, take your time, and save up for nicer pots. :wink:

By the way, I recognize those pots. Are you in the Kam Man basement, or Shelly's Shop on Mulberry St? :lol:

Feb 9th, '13, 19:31

by dim_aa » Feb 9th, '13, 19:31

tingjunkie wrote: By the way, I recognize those pots. Are you in the Kam Man basement, or Shelly's Shop on Mulberry St? :lol:
Thanks, you have just saved me $18 towards my next pot, a nicer one I hope :D and yes it is Kam Man basement indeed, it looks like you do live in NYC :lol:

And thanks again for such a thoughtful response Ting. It seems there is a lot to learn to really appreciate Yixing teapots. The only problem for me is where to see and touch the real stuff. You live in NYC as I do. So, may be you can suggest a store that sells real Yixing teapots in $100 price range?
I have found a vendor on eBay that has a store in Flushing Mall. By looking at what he sells on eBay can you tell if his teapots are worth a trip to Flushing? Here is a link http://myworld.ebay.com/trading668/

Feb 9th, '13, 20:28

by tingjunkie » Feb 9th, '13, 20:28

Some of those pots look ok for the price, but I certainly wouldn't go to Flushing just to check them out. If you do go to Flushing, make sure to go to Fang's Gourmet Tea. They don't have a huge Yixing selection, but what they do have is the real stuff. The staff is all very nice, and tastings are very cheap.

Also check out the selection at Jade Garden (76 Mullberry St.). They used to have some pretty decent stuff, but the tea crew here in NYC cherry picked all the best deals already. The owner Shelly is very nice though, and she'll be fairly honest with you about the quality of what she is selling- especially if you tell her Mike (the tall white dude) sent you. Last time I was there, the stuff on the unprotected shelves isn't worth looking at, but the better pots are all behind the glass displays now. Not too much in the way of steals on smaller pots anymore. I've done my part to see to that. :wink:

Feb 9th, '13, 21:29

by dim_aa » Feb 9th, '13, 21:29

Thanks a lot Ting. I was today in the Shelly's store and picked up a gaiwan over there. Yes Shelly is nice and has a selection of pots, but since I'm just beginning my Yixing journey, I don't feel comfortable spending $100 for the stuff I don't have any expertise. I'll check her store again, as you are saying she is credible, plus she gives 20% discount on any yixing pot right now.

As for that Flushing guy, It looks that he carries some more yixing pots in his retail store than he sells on eBay right now, as I see more pots on the shelf on the pictures in this listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebony-Gongfu-Te ... 416f6442fa
He sells some pu-erh as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Feb 9th, '13, 22:00

by tingjunkie » Feb 9th, '13, 22:00

dim_aa wrote:Yes Shelly is nice and has a selection of pots, but since I'm just beginning my Yixing journey, I don't feel comfortable spending $100 for the stuff I don't have any expertise.
Very wise. :wink: Her store is a true test. There are hidden treasures right along side junk. Leaving it to chance would be tricky.
dim_aa wrote:As for that Flushing guy, It looks that he carries some more yixing pots in his retail store than he sells on eBay right now, as I see more pots on the shelf on the pictures in this listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebony-Gongfu-Te ... 416f6442fa

Interesting. I don't think I've been to that shop before. I'll have to check it out next time I go. Good spotting. :D

Happy to help. It's the least I can do after so many have helped me.

Feb 9th, '13, 23:01

by dim_aa » Feb 9th, '13, 23:01

Happy to contribute :wink:
PM me if you need exact address

Feb 10th, '13, 02:17
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Feb 10th, '13, 02:17

edkrueger wrote:
brunogm wrote:I am not a collector in the sense that I do not intend to buy more pots when my collection is finished.
Sure... you aren't a collector... :D
I'm not a collector either...... I just have a certain quantity of teaware that occasionally needs expanding

Feb 11th, '13, 23:37

by tingjunkie » Feb 11th, '13, 23:37

I think we told you what you should do DAYS ago. :shock:

Feb 12th, '13, 08:14

by edkrueger » Feb 12th, '13, 08:14

Feb 13th, '13, 21:03

by dim_aa » Feb 13th, '13, 21:03

tingjunkie wrote:
dim_aa wrote:As for that Flushing guy, It looks that he carries some more yixing pots in his retail store than he sells on eBay right now, as I see more pots on the shelf on the pictures in this listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ebony-Gongfu-Te ... 416f6442fa

Interesting. I don't think I've been to that shop before. I'll have to check it out next time I go. Good spotting. :D

Happy to help. It's the least I can do after so many have helped me.
I've visited "the Flushing Guy" store. He has huge selection of Yixing teapots and small selection of Pu-erh. Prices are not on a bargain side, but seem quite fair. The owner is a nice guy; his name is Peter. I spent there an hour chatting with him about Yixing pots. I was looking for 80ml-150ml teapot, there were at least twelve pots in this category, and Peter let me test teapots that I liked using water. I bought one 140ml, multiple hole zisha( or zini ?) pot, and got 12gr free sample of vintage sheng pu'er. I've paid $60 for the pot.
Attachments
IMG_0847.jpg
IMG_0847.jpg (24.34 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG (55.93 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
IMG_0851.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Last edited by dim_aa on Feb 13th, '13, 21:57, edited 4 times in total.

Feb 13th, '13, 21:06

by dim_aa » Feb 13th, '13, 21:06

Here are some shots I've taken in the store.
Attachments
photo(2).JPG
photo(2).JPG (50.26 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (46.25 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
photo(1).JPG
photo(1).JPG (39 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

Feb 13th, '13, 21:37

by tingjunkie » Feb 13th, '13, 21:37

Cool. Thanks for the update! I'll have to check him out sometime.

Feb 13th, '13, 21:53

by dim_aa » Feb 13th, '13, 21:53

My pleasure. :D You definitely should check this place.
There are three or four behind glass displays with even more teapots, which I didn't shot, I just didn't feel comfortable documenting the entire shop :lol:
What do you think about the pot, Ting? I've posted more pics in Official/Different Yixing Show Off Topic

+ Post Reply