Feb 13th, '13, 17:29

Re: Arita-topic

by amaranto » Feb 13th, '13, 17:29

Alex, your cup is a great example of how beautiful a simple cup can be. For this reason I've fallen in love with a lot of celadon ware.

Maneki, thanks. I also thought it was different from other Arita teacups I'd seen. I like to drink darker teas out of it because I feel like the colors look good together. You probably can't tell from the picture, but it has a slightly grainy texture on the inside, which is also quite different from the smoothness of the other. I have another Japanese cup with the same texture, but it is not Arita.

Maybe the cup is just not Arita porcelain, but some type of earthenware?

Here is a picture of the cup's interior:

Inner Texture by AndrewJAT, on Flickr

Feb 13th, '13, 18:17

by Maneki Neko » Feb 13th, '13, 18:17

Artistic Nippon:
NAGAYUNOMI are taller cylindrical cups normally used for oneself or family members for serving tea after a meal. Each family member will have a cup in a different design for their own personal use. Cups are never shared and inadvertently using someone else's cup could lead to a family feud!
Hahaha, I can SO find myself in that! :lol:
I always refused to share things when I was still living with my family.
With my husband I drink from the same glass and eat with the same spoon without even a second thought :wink:

Amaranto, from what I've seen on O-Cha (yes, they still have the cup :!: ) it is just made from a different type of clay, but in Arita. *Edit: I think I misread your sentence a little. You're right about the stone-/earthenware.* I'd love to see more Arita-yaki that is made with a different clay.

Feb 28th, '13, 02:21

by Maneki Neko » Feb 28th, '13, 02:21

I went to Daiso yesterday :mrgreen: Among other things I bought this cute little Arita dish (there was even a golden "Arita" sticker on it) and a block of red bean agar agar jelly candy.
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG (33.97 KiB) Viewed 839 times

Mar 1st, '13, 08:41
Scrolling: scrolling

by Running for Tea » Mar 1st, '13, 08:41

amaranto wrote:Maneki Neko, it looks like we have a cup in commom. I love the others you guys have posted. Here are two Arita cups I currently have:

Arita-yaki by AndrewJAT, on Flickr

I bought one from Yuuki-Cha and another from O-Cha.
I also have the cup from O-cha! It was my a part of my first teaware purchase. Later on, I purchased a second one to pair with it.

Currently, I've been searching for an arita kyusu. After numerous random tea site searches for a tokoname 4-5 oz kyusu that is green, it seems that what I'm looking for aesthetically is more likely going to be with porcelain. Any recommendations?

Mar 1st, '13, 08:56

by Alex » Mar 1st, '13, 08:56

There isnt a great deal of choice when it comes to porcelain kyusu. And at that size even less. Have you looked at the Ippodo small kyusu? very expensive but very good.

I bought one and my wife nicked it.

Mar 1st, '13, 10:49

by AdamMY » Mar 1st, '13, 10:49

Alex wrote: I bought one and my wife nicked it.
I do not know whether to laugh or be sad... When you say nicked, do you mean took for personal use? Or is it nicked as in damaged?

Either way is sad, but the first one is on the much more humorous side of things.

Mar 1st, '13, 11:53

by Running for Tea » Mar 1st, '13, 11:53

Alex wrote:There isnt a great deal of choice when it comes to porcelain kyusu. And at that size even less. Have you looked at the Ippodo small kyusu? very expensive but very good.
I'm starting to think that my perfect kyusu might have to be something other than my favorite color. I have found several kyusus that are green (they just happen to be wayyyy too big), and I've found several that are in the 4-5 oz range (no green though :( ). Function will have to outweigh ideal aesthetics on this one.

I've narrowed it down to a few, but will search a bit longer before making a decision. I'll keep updating as my search continues, and will certainly post pictures once a purchase has been made!

Mar 1st, '13, 12:44

by amaranto » Mar 1st, '13, 12:44

Maneki, I love little dishes and things like that. Have you guys checked out the Arita ware at Artistic Nippon? They have some neat stuff.

Running, I'm still using that cup from O-Cha a lot. Both the cups in the picture are sturdy and sized well for me.

Mar 1st, '13, 13:10

by Running for Tea » Mar 1st, '13, 13:10

amaranto wrote:Running, I'm still using that cup from O-Cha a lot. Both the cups in the picture are sturdy and sized well for me.
Mine also sees quite a bit of use (almost daily). It will always be a favorite of mine since it was one of the first pieces of Japanese teaware I bought. The size cannot be beaten; it's been great for single brewing! I added the second for when brewing for two people, and they are perfect for an 8 oz kyusu.

O-cha also has a kyusu with the same design. I was tempted briefly, but then came to the realization that I have no use for another larger teapot.

Mar 1st, '13, 14:01

by Alex » Mar 1st, '13, 14:01

AdamMY wrote:
Alex wrote: I bought one and my wife nicked it.
I do not know whether to laugh or be sad... When you say nicked, do you mean took for personal use? Or is it nicked as in damaged?

Either way is sad, but the first one is on the much more humorous side of things.
Took for personal use LOL. :mrgreen:

Mar 2nd, '13, 04:24

by Maneki Neko » Mar 2nd, '13, 04:24

amaranto wrote:Maneki, I love little dishes and things like that. Have you guys checked out the Arita ware at Artistic Nippon? They have some neat stuff.
They certainly do :wink: I love the Tenmoku plates and the Sometsuke mugs. Never seen such fine mugs :)

But I always hate it when I find something online and it is SOLD OUT :evil: They should REMOVE these items from the list, so as not to UNFAIRLY tempt people!

Mar 2nd, '13, 08:37

by Running for Tea » Mar 2nd, '13, 08:37

Maneki Neko wrote:But I always hate it when I find something online and it is SOLD OUT :evil: They should REMOVE these items from the list, so as not to UNFAIRLY tempt people!
Too true! :lol:

Mar 2nd, '13, 21:06

by amaranto » Mar 2nd, '13, 21:06

Agreed!

Mar 2nd, '13, 21:51

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '13, 21:51

While I agree it can be frustrating, there is an upside to letting the listings on Japanese site(s) beyond the sold out time period.

1) serves as a resource of what has been out there beyond the period of time that tyhe item was in their inventory ... sort of a short term history. It is an education of sorts waiting for us to find it. If the item is only on the site for a day, a week, etc. it does not help us much in our searches

2) then ... often the seller can try to obtain another of same or similar style if asked ... which I have done on numerous times, more often than not with positive results

Mar 2nd, '13, 23:08

by Maneki Neko » Mar 2nd, '13, 23:08

Interesting :)

A third reason it can be good is, it saved me many times from spending a lot of money. I can be an impulse buyer at times, resulting in me guiltily telling my husband where that new teaware (or other item) came from :oops: :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply