What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby yalokinh » Mar 5th, '13, 14:06

Right now the smallest i use is 90 ml.
The largest is 120 ml.
Interested in trying smaller pots, but cant seem to find a good pot.
User avatar
yalokinh
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Feb 19th, '
Location: Florida, Minnesota

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby AdamMY » Mar 5th, '13, 14:29

For Japanese teas I have a hard time seeing going under 90ml but I need my Green! :mrgreen: For Chinese and Taiwanese teas I have a variety of items around 60ml which get used all the time, its actually the 120ml or so tea pots that get used very seldom.
User avatar
AdamMY
 
Posts: 2353
Joined: Jul 22nd, '
Location: Capital of the Mitten

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby futurebird » Mar 5th, '13, 14:37

yalokinh wrote:Right now the smallest i use is 90 ml.
The largest is 120 ml.
Interested in trying smaller pots, but cant seem to find a good pot.



I agree they are hard to find!
futurebird
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Feb 12th, '
Location: South Bronx, NYC

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby Chip » Mar 5th, '13, 18:15

AdamMY wrote:For Japanese teas I have a hard time seeing going under 90ml but I need my Green! :mrgreen:

What about for GOOD Gyokuro?

I can see why your cavernous Yunomi are not getting used as much these days. :idea: :wink: :mrgreen:
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22089
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby victoria3 » Mar 5th, '13, 19:41

My smallest Kyusu is 160 ml, although I used the 260 ml most often. I so far still like to have at least 6oz of tea per steep, even with the best. I'm only one year into my Japanese green tea immersion, maybe in another year I'll graduate to your 2 oz levels!
User avatar
victoria3
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Nov 13th, '
Location: santa monica, california, usa

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby edkrueger » Mar 5th, '13, 19:48

Chip wrote:
AdamMY wrote:For Japanese teas I have a hard time seeing going under 90ml but I need my Green! :mrgreen:

What about for GOOD Gyokuro?

I can see why your cavernous Yunomi are not getting used as much these days. :idea: :wink: :mrgreen:


65ml is a pretty good size for gyokuro. A good size for 8-10g of tea.
User avatar
edkrueger
 
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby gingkoseto » Mar 6th, '13, 21:50

My favorite size for oolong and puerh is 90-130ml, and my favorite size for green tea is around 180ml.
My smallest teapot is one said by seller to be 80ml, but I guess it's around 100ml (still too lazy to measure it :mrgreen: ). I have a ~60ml gaiwan that might be my smallest gaiwan. I like it very much, but sometimes have difficulty settling dancong or yancha leaves in it.
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby Tead Off » Mar 7th, '13, 08:22

gingkoseto wrote:My favorite size for oolong and puerh is 90-130ml, and my favorite size for green tea is around 180ml.
My smallest teapot is one said by seller to be 80ml, but I guess it's around 100ml (still too lazy to measure it :mrgreen: ). I have a ~60ml gaiwan that might be my smallest gaiwan. I like it very much, but sometimes have difficulty settling dancong or yancha leaves in it.

Dancong and Yancha would have to be broken up to fit in the small teapots that I have. That would be sacrilegious to those teas! I have a 30ml kyusu that I never use. It's too cute. I have a 40ml kyusu that I use for either gyokuro or sencha on occasion. My 50-60ml gaiwan gets regular use. My 70-100ml teapots get the most use for just myself or another drinker. I have plenty of backup muscle for larger groups tucked away on the shelves or on the occasion that I want to have a larger cuppa of something.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby gingkoseto » Mar 7th, '13, 08:48

Tead Off wrote:
gingkoseto wrote:My favorite size for oolong and puerh is 90-130ml, and my favorite size for green tea is around 180ml.
My smallest teapot is one said by seller to be 80ml, but I guess it's around 100ml (still too lazy to measure it :mrgreen: ). I have a ~60ml gaiwan that might be my smallest gaiwan. I like it very much, but sometimes have difficulty settling dancong or yancha leaves in it.

Dancong and Yancha would have to be broken up to fit in the small teapots that I have. That would be sacrilegious to those teas!

:mrgreen: Be careful some admirer of yours would take it 200% sacrilegious :mrgreen:
It will probably take a death threat to let me break them leaves with my own hands :lol:
Last edited by gingkoseto on Mar 7th, '13, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
gingkoseto
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sep 24th, '
Location: Boston, MA

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby hopeofdawn » Mar 7th, '13, 14:00

My smallest pot at the moment is 80 ml--it mostly gets used for Japanese greens or uber-expensive/rare teas, and since I don't drink much of either, it doesn't get used as much as I would like. The ones I reach for on a near-daily basis are 100-120 ml, usually--that seems to be the perfect middle ground for me. But then, I don't usually go full-bore gongfu brewing (filling the pot with leaves) either. :)
User avatar
hopeofdawn
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Dec 13th, '
Location: Seattle

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby Mayencm » Mar 7th, '13, 14:11

A year ago, when I started my love of tea yixing teapots, kettles used two 150 ml. About 6 months ago I started to prefer size 120-100 ml. and now I'm using 70-90 ml. At this rate I will soon tea in a thimble.
I prefer small teapots because I drink alone and use Gongfu method. Tea is so expensive and optimized, can enjoy and appreciate the flavors of many infusions. :D
User avatar
Mayencm
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Jan 1st, '1
Location: Spain

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby debunix » Mar 7th, '13, 16:05

I read a lot about leaves not fitting in little pots.

I do occasionally break off a stem, but never a leaf, to fit more easily into the pot. It's really quite easy to get long/large leaves into a little pot. Make sure the leaves are at least partway into the little pot, gently pour the first rinse water over them, and they immediately soften up and with a little nudge, will slip into the pot completely without breaking.
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 4950
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby Drax » Mar 7th, '13, 16:46

debunix wrote:I read a lot about leaves not fitting in little pots.

I do occasionally break off a stem, but never a leaf, to fit more easily into the pot. It's really quite easy to get long/large leaves into a little pot. Make sure the leaves are at least partway into the little pot, gently pour the first rinse water over them, and they immediately soften up and with a little nudge, will slip into the pot completely without breaking.


That's what I do, too.

My smallest regular use pot is 35mL. I use it for a black tea that fits in quite easily.
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2554
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby Tead Off » Mar 7th, '13, 23:24

debunix wrote:I read a lot about leaves not fitting in little pots.

I do occasionally break off a stem, but never a leaf, to fit more easily into the pot. It's really quite easy to get long/large leaves into a little pot. Make sure the leaves are at least partway into the little pot, gently pour the first rinse water over them, and they immediately soften up and with a little nudge, will slip into the pot completely without breaking.

Can do that, but I figure if a pot is really not made to accomodate certain sizes, so be it. Many other teas to choose from and a 35ml pot really wouldn't accomodate the amount of yancha or dancong that I would like to use in it. But, whatever works is fine.
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: What is the smallest teapot that you use regularly.

Postby Evan Draper » Mar 9th, '13, 13:56

I have a 50 mL I use for pu, and I'm very happy with the 70 mL I just got for yancha. Have a 65 mL gaiwan too. Feeling pretty satisfied with my collection at this point.
User avatar
Evan Draper
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Jan 23rd, '
Location: Philadelphia

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation