The Current Yixing Market... jeeze

Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Re: The Current Yixing Market... jeeze

Postby tingjunkie » Mar 8th, '13, 11:42

bagua7 wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Sure, it's a lovely pot, but it sold for that price in a very short amount of time?

What was the price as once Jing sells a pot the selling price is rounded down to "0."

Huh, it was still up when I posted the link. $188.
tingjunkie

Postby Drax » Mar 8th, '13, 12:44

The price doesn't drop to 0 until the pot moves to the "gallery." You posted the link during the in-between phase... :wink:
Drax

Postby bagua7 » Mar 8th, '13, 22:33

Thanks. Yixing pots are just another commodity today. Forget about cheap quality pots for less than $100 bucks. Those good old times are long gone. :cry:
bagua7

Postby tingjunkie » Mar 9th, '13, 00:56

All depends on how you define "quality" I guess. Plenty of useable pots made from "real" Yixing clay to be had for less than $100. A few for less than $40 even if you know where to look. I don't think beginners should be discouraged from getting their feet wet for less than $100.
tingjunkie

Postby ethan » Mar 9th, '13, 02:53

still very new to this, but I do believe that I have a $25 pot that works to make oolong better. From the same vendor, I bought a different shape etc. pot (but it is still in the yixing category) that never has effected the taste of any tea one way or the other. From limited experience & from what I have gathered here, luck is as important as judgment & price in finding yixing that provides what one wants.
I also have one pot bought from gasninja that is fantastic for what I call "sweet" oolongs. I don't know how it was before he "seasoned" it, but I love it now.
ethan

Postby futurebird » Mar 9th, '13, 03:13

All of my pots are less that $40. But it was hard to find them!
futurebird

Postby futurebird » Mar 9th, '13, 03:22

All of these were $15-$38 shipped. Bought in the last 5 months.

I also have three "big" pots that didn't cost so much.
futurebird

Postby 5am » Apr 4th, '13, 15:45

I never spent the big bucks on Yixing, rather sticking to porcelain, glass and cast iron for my pots. I know that my next purchase is going to be an unfinished clay teapot with a high iron content (probably from Japan) in the $100 range.
No one ever said quality was cheap. It's kinda sad that prices have jumped so much 3 years ago I was just getting into tea and content with my adagio inginuitea maker. I have come a long way in a short time and have carefully planned my tea purchases.

Seems I should have just dove right in and gotten some quality Yixing at $40 a pot.
5am

Postby JBaymore » Apr 4th, '13, 16:06

futurebird wrote:How hard can it be to make a simple small clay pot, with un-glazed walls that brews tea well?? (hard apparently)

Harder than you think. :wink:

best,

..............john
JBaymore

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions