Mar 18th, '13, 12:42

Patina vs. Rings

by Muadeeb » Mar 18th, '13, 12:42

Maybe it's because I'm a noob and don't know how to properly buff a teapot, but I like how my tea stains are building up on my pots.
IMG_6029.jpg
IMG_6029.jpg (29.84 KiB) Viewed 1438 times
Am I the only one who doesn't find this ugly?

Mar 18th, '13, 12:43

Re: Patina vs. Rings

by yanom » Mar 18th, '13, 12:43

I like it.

Mar 18th, '13, 12:47

by edkrueger » Mar 18th, '13, 12:47

Is that Lincoln or Kiwi?

Mar 18th, '13, 12:59

by Muadeeb » Mar 18th, '13, 12:59

edkrueger wrote:Is that Lincoln or Kiwi?
huh?

Mar 18th, '13, 13:05
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 18th, '13, 13:05

Are you familiar with the idea of Wabi-sabi?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Mar 18th, '13, 13:44

by Muadeeb » Mar 18th, '13, 13:44

TIM wrote:Are you familiar with the idea of Wabi-sabi?
I am, and I'm a big fan! It just seems how most folks on here brush and buff their pots to avoid the dark stains. Maybe if I knew how to do it right I would give it a shot.

Mar 18th, '13, 13:58

by Poohblah » Mar 18th, '13, 13:58

Muadeeb wrote:
edkrueger wrote:Is that Lincoln or Kiwi?
huh?
brands of Yixing stainer. :P or shoe polish in layman's terms

Mar 18th, '13, 14:06

by Muadeeb » Mar 18th, '13, 14:06

Haha, nope, just 2 months of dark oolongs, almost daily use.

Mar 18th, '13, 14:10
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 18th, '13, 14:10

Muadeeb wrote:
TIM wrote:Are you familiar with the idea of Wabi-sabi?
I am, and I'm a big fan! It just seems how most folks on here brush and buff their pots to avoid the dark stains. Maybe if I knew how to do it right I would give it a shot.
Seems like you did some scrubbing to the body of the pot recently? I guess you either do a full scrub/polish (traditional) or you dont scrub at all (wabi). Just not in between :lol: Just my 2 cents.

Mar 18th, '13, 14:15

by Muadeeb » Mar 18th, '13, 14:15

TIM wrote:
Seems like you did some scrubbing to the body of the pot recently? I guess you either do a full scrub/polish (traditional) or you dont scrub at all (wabi). Just not in between :lol: Just my 2 cents.
No scrubbing, but I do scratch at it sometimes with my nail to see how durable the stains are.

I did get a bamboo brush a couple weeks ago and have brushed my bigger pots a few times to spread the water rings around, but I'm not consistent with it. With this little pot, it just gets pushed around by the brush.

Mar 18th, '13, 14:18
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 18th, '13, 14:18

Muadeeb wrote:
TIM wrote:
No scrubbing, but I do scratch at it sometimes with my nail to see how durable the stains are.

I did get a bamboo brush a couple weeks ago and have brushed my bigger pots a few times to spread the water rings around, but I'm not consistent with it. With this little pot, it just gets pushed around by the brush.
Interesting, it certainly dont look that way (patina build-up) if you dont polish it. Is this a new pot when you got it? Or you have it for 3 to 5 years now?

Natural patina build-up without polish:

Traditional Polished:

Super Patient Traditional Polished:

Almost "Monk Head" Polish, not recommend from collectors:

Mar 18th, '13, 17:21

by tingjunkie » Mar 18th, '13, 17:21

Muadeeb wrote:Maybe it's because I'm a noob and don't know how to properly buff a teapot, but I like how my tea stains are building up on my pots.

Am I the only one who doesn't find this ugly?
I dig that look- particularly on duan ni pots. I don't do it with any of my pots, but I still appreciate it. I don't rub my pots down too much with a cloth, but I use the brush while brewing to "paint" the tea all over the surface. I find it an enjoyable thing to do, but if I felt it was a chore or a burden, then I'd just let it be.

What I don't understand is how your bottom and lid skirt got so dark after only 2 months! I'm guessing you let the pot sit in a puddle of tea, or don't rinse out the inside after taking used leaves out?

Mar 18th, '13, 17:35

by Muadeeb » Mar 18th, '13, 17:35

tingjunkie wrote:
What I don't understand is how your bottom and lid skirt got so dark after only 2 months! I'm guessing you let the pot sit in a puddle of tea, or don't rinse out the inside after taking used leaves out?
I've been using it a lot with Da Hong Pao and Dan Cong, but that's pretty much it. I'm drinking about 4-6 liters of tea a day, which I guess is a lot.

The pot does end up sitting in a little bit of water, but only a few mm, the rest drains away through the hole I drilled in the saucer I use as a boat. I rinse out the pot with water after each use, although sometimes after drinking the last brew I let the leaves sit in the pot overnight if I'm lazy.

Mar 18th, '13, 17:39

by Muadeeb » Mar 18th, '13, 17:39

TIM wrote: Interesting, it certainly dont look that way (patina build-up) if you dont polish it. Is this a new pot when you got it? Or you have it for 3 to 5 years now?

That's pretty to me. I've only been brewing gong fu since January. Hopefully my pots will look like that in 3-5 years.

Mar 18th, '13, 17:44
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 18th, '13, 17:44

Muadeeb wrote:
TIM wrote: Interesting, it certainly dont look that way (patina build-up) if you dont polish it. Is this a new pot when you got it? Or you have it for 3 to 5 years now?

That's pretty to me. I've only been brewing gong fu since January. Hopefully my pots will look like that in 3-5 years.
3 months for a new pot to take on that kind of patina :shock:
WOWOWWWWOW....

This one toke more then 3-5 years :roll:

+ Post Reply