Apr 13th, '13, 10:07

Re: Yixing repair attempt

by theredbaron » Apr 13th, '13, 10:07

futurebird wrote:
The real gold powder is just that, but there is only a tiny bit of it in this kit.
Does it say what material exactly the fake gold powder is?

Apr 13th, '13, 12:53

by futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 12:53

brass

Apr 13th, '13, 13:04

by futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 13:04

I've reworked the lid a bit. I figured out how to get the gold to go deeper in then sanded the excess off and cleaned with turpentine.

I don't think the spout repair is going to work, it's too brittle and there isn't enough surface area. I guess I'll have to file it down. :cry:

The plate seems like it will work though. I've washed it a few times (naturally these repairs can't go in the dish washer... well to be honest I don't know, it just seems like a bad move.)

maybe it'd be possible to make a repair piece out of the clay that I bought... I have some garish green clay it could be good...

Apr 13th, '13, 13:16

by debunix » Apr 13th, '13, 13:16

The reworking looks great. One very tempting thing about this process is that reworkability. I'm very anxious about trying to sand or file down my epoxied piece where some beads got away from me.
futurebird wrote: maybe it'd be possible to make a repair piece out of the clay that I bought... I have some garish green clay it could be good...
All I can see happening with this is frustration, as the piece shrinks into just-barely-off shapes and sizes with firing.

(disclaimer: though I've spent hours and hours throwing on a wheel, I have only fired about 5 things in my life so in now way should this be taken as a voice of experience....)

Apr 13th, '13, 13:19

by futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 13:19

But isn't yixing clay famous for not shrinking much? You are likely right, but I still want to try. It's not like it'd add much to the firing fees! :lol:

Apr 13th, '13, 15:02

by edkrueger » Apr 13th, '13, 15:02

futurebird wrote:But isn't yixing clay famous for not shrinking much?
?

Apr 13th, '13, 15:29

by futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 15:29

The more sand you have in clay the less it shrinks when fired, hence, yixing clay is better for making teapots with nice fitting lids since it shrinks less and there is much less distortion.

Apr 13th, '13, 17:03

by edkrueger » Apr 13th, '13, 17:03

Hmm...
Yixing clay isn't always sandy. Yixing clay, especially Zhuni, is know for very high shrinkage.

Apr 13th, '13, 17:32

by futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 17:32

Minute pores produced in the clay during the firing retain both heat and flavor. The low shrinkage rate of Yixing clay also allows the skillful potter to make a closely fitting lid that inhibits oxidation, thus heightening the teas flavor.

http://www.theclaystudio.org/see/exhibi ... eapots.php
On the other hand:
Shrinkage rate is at least 23%, and failure rate is high at 40%. Because this clay is so hard to make, only relatively few pots exist in China, making it more sought after.

http://shop.amazing-green-tea.com/yixin ... -pot2.html
23% is insanely high, 8-10% is normal for the clays I've worked with.
Comprehensive analysis of soil grains are Yixing clay teapots - Dan Yingyun maternal, Rather the characteristics of raw materials porcelain class, so a single kind of material has good plasticity That, the mud, high strength, drying shrinkage rate is small, for a variety of Provides a good modeling conditions.

http://liuyun.over-blog.com/article-sel ... 17312.html
Is drying shrinkage rate very different than firing shrinkage? Maybe they are different?

Traveler's Tales Hong Kong: Including Macau and Southern China
edited by James O'Reilly, Larry Habegger, Sean O'Relly mentions "the remarkable plasticity" and "low shrinkage" of Yixing clay as one of the reason it is sought after. "Collectible Teapots: A Reference and Price Guide"' also mentions a low shrinkage rate -- but these are hardly books about the clay itself. A Chinese source would be better.

So, I don't know what to think. Maybe, I should just do a shrink test on the clay that I have? (though, since I had to reconstitute it from dust, it isn't ideally rested or fully plastic.)

Apr 20th, '13, 13:00

by futurebird » Apr 20th, '13, 13:00

Yikes. Today I had a bit of a reaction to the urushi. Had to go on benedryl and I have a few hives.

I guess I'll need to go back to working with gloves even though that's annoying.

So just as a warning to other trying this: just because you don't react at first dosen't mean you'll never react.

Well, I should have some new work to post soon.

Apr 20th, '13, 16:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 20th, '13, 16:30

The effect of poison ivy is described as cumulative. You are fine til you exceed your individual tolerance and then bam, you got it.

Apr 21st, '13, 16:25

by futurebird » Apr 21st, '13, 16:25

I seem to be back to normal for today. I need to find some good gloves to work in.

Apr 21st, '13, 23:09

by Tead Off » Apr 21st, '13, 23:09

futurebird wrote:I seem to be back to normal for today. I need to find some good gloves to work in.
Why don't you try and put all this energy into finding a suitable gold color to be applied or blended into JB Weld? It is easy to work with, heat resistant, non-toxic, and harder than hell.

Apr 21st, '13, 23:36

by futurebird » Apr 21st, '13, 23:36

I don't like the way it smells. And this is much more fun :D

Apr 21st, '13, 23:38

Yixing repair attempt

by Exempt » Apr 21st, '13, 23:38

futurebird wrote:I don't like the way it smells. And this is much more fun :D
Actually the smell only lingers for a day or so. I have been using the pot I repaired for the last week and have noticed no difference in smell or taste

+ Post Reply