Jun 23rd, '13, 02:04

Chinese tea tray - the conclusion

by jbu2 » Jun 23rd, '13, 02:04

Love it.

~ (40 on 28) cm is the perfect size for my , i found it goes well with the japanse set :

this is what you call dirty bubbles ?

i think going with white is the right thing since it neutral and goes well with clay cups:
can you spot the thermometer
in case you are wandering this is white tea, but this cup goes better with oolong , and the japanse cup goes well with the white tea
for the full gallery
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96246943@N ... otostream/

also i didn't took pictures but it is convenient to have a tray you don't need to worry about spills , i use it also with herb tea and Watermelon, it had a strong bad smell to it when it first arrive but after i put it in the sun i got must of the smell out, to summery: well worth the 35$ .

Jun 25th, '13, 00:42

Re: Chinese tea tray - the conclusion

by amaranto » Jun 25th, '13, 00:42

Looks great. I wish my tea tray were a bit wider--about that size.

Jun 25th, '13, 02:22

by jbu2 » Jun 25th, '13, 02:22

Thank you, i use lucky to have a plastic dining coaster exactly the same size so i known it was the right size, but still i sometimes think biger is better ,but in the end 40 cm is kind of a standard i think (from my on experience with other kitchen ware) so this is the size i recommend to whom is is reading this.

It can also hold a 1.7 liter of herb teapot and glass so it's versatile, i think it is the best tea ware buy i made, help my set the mode and to not worry about spills, but the "problem" with these kind of tray is to compensate for the lack of qualitywood they use to much lycra and even after a week the smell is still linger .

Jun 25th, '13, 17:27

by amaranto » Jun 25th, '13, 17:27

That sucks about the smell. I always find myself wishing my tray were bigger when I brew with a pot, one or two cups, and a chahai. I have a tray that will accommodate them better because it is slightly larger, but it is just a basic tray with nowhere for the water to go. My smaller tray gets a bit crowded with more than a gaiwan and a nice-sized cup.

Jul 21st, '13, 18:09

Chinese tea tray - the conclusion

by Poseidon » Jul 21st, '13, 18:09

Beautiful set! I'm quite envious of your serving cup. Nice tray for sure.

Jul 28th, '13, 10:33

by jbu2 » Jul 28th, '13, 10:33

Thank you but ironically it broke and i order a new one:

http://fromsin.com/index.php?p=item&id=20631743808

also the smell of the tray stooped if you want one here is the link:

http://fromsin.com/index.php?p=item&id=4336365488

Jul 30th, '13, 01:55

by dan88 » Jul 30th, '13, 01:55

I have similar tea tray that I purchased a few days ago. And I can confirm that it smells badly. I thought about returning it to seller because of the unpleasant varnish smell, and it can ruin the enjoyment of good tea. I'll try to follow your advice and aerate it in the sun. Hoping the smell will go away.

I have a question for you. What happens when you put a hot tea pot or a cup on the table? Is the smell appears again because of the heated varnish?
Attachments
ttable_640.jpg
ttable_640.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 2368 times

Jul 30th, '13, 15:51

by jbu2 » Jul 30th, '13, 15:51

I bought mine because i have to keep it less then 2 KG and under 75$ or else i will have to deal with the customs which is a huge pain and can easily add 100$ to a 30$ tray, also i wanted it to be from wood and not bamboo since what was said in the last post about bamboo tea tray , so this was almost last reasonable choice .
If i had the possibility i would go for something else, only after about two weeks of whipping it with water and leaving it out to dry outside the smell became tolerable, meaning i can still smell it if i stick my nose near it but not so much as filling my house with this smell , i don't even smell it when i drinking tea, in the end the size was more important to me so it turn out fine , but i had no choice it was either this or a smaller sized one, but on the other hand if you chose to go wood instead of bamboo i think it has to have a thick layer of something to keep it from liquids it it would probably stink and also it turn out fine, this is why i thought the tea tray post is important, there is a lot to think about.

so if you still want to stick to it assuming its the same is mine you can get it wet and aerate it ( i pot it in the shade because i was afraid of what 40C would do to it) .

any way good luck !

p.s
where did you got the cup ? l love it

+ Post Reply