Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby deadlysight » Jul 2nd, '13, 01:47

[EDITED: PICTURES REMOVED]

Hello,

This is my first post, so I hope that I am doing this properly. I just acquired my first zhuni teapot, and I want to know about its authenticity. There's no seal at the bottom of the teapot, but there's one underneath the lid.

The color profile of these photos is very accurately calibrated.

It seems that this shape is very difficult to achieve and nobody can make this nowadays.

Thanks,

Irwin
Last edited by deadlysight on Dec 12th, '13, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
deadlysight
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 2nd, '1

Re: Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby Evan Draper » Jul 3rd, '13, 12:48

I will certify that that is, in fact, a pretty teapot. Welcome to the forum.
User avatar
Evan Draper
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Jan 23rd, '
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby deadlysight » Jul 3rd, '13, 14:56

Thanks for the affirmation!

Btw, there are a few (3-4) very short hair line cracks, just like the one beside the chop mark on the lid. They are all located either on the interior side near the rim, and underneath the lid near the chop mark.

Do you think they are defects from the firing, or something normal from shrinkage near small rippled parts of the teapot?

Irwin
deadlysight
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 2nd, '1

Re: Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby MarshalN » Jul 4th, '13, 02:34

deadlysight wrote:It seems that this shape is very difficult to achieve and nobody can make this nowadays.


This is a nice looking pot, but that line right there is probably something the vendor fed to you. There are plenty of people (more than ever, in fact) who can make this.
User avatar
MarshalN
 
Posts: 2105
Joined: Mar 15th, '

Re: Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby deadlysight » Jul 4th, '13, 02:54

MarshalN wrote:This is a nice looking pot, but that line right there is probably something the vendor fed to you. There are plenty of people (more than ever, in fact) who can make this.


That's quite possible with all the young teapot artists. But he told me that Zhuni is quite scarce, and the success rate for making such teapot with that specific clay is quite low. Perhaps a very skillful artist will have better chance to acquire Zhuni clay, but he may not sacrifice them to attempt to make such teapot. More accurately, the vendor used the word "want to make this" instead of "can make this", I twisted his meaning unintentionally.

I still totally agree with you, vendors like to exaggerate and add things up.
deadlysight
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 2nd, '1

Re: Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby BioHorn » Jul 4th, '13, 16:43

deadlysight wrote:
MarshalN wrote:This is a nice looking pot, but that line right there is probably something the vendor fed to you. There are plenty of people (more than ever, in fact) who can make this.


That's quite possible with all the young teapot artists. But he told me that Zhuni is quite scarce, and the success rate for making such teapot with that specific clay is quite low. Perhaps a very skillful artist will have better chance to acquire Zhuni clay, but he may not sacrifice them to attempt to make such teapot. More accurately, the vendor used the word "want to make this" instead of "can make this", I twisted his meaning unintentionally.

I still totally agree with you, vendors like to exaggerate and add things up.

Looks similar to the pots 5000friend was/is selling.
Hve always admired this design. Welcome!
User avatar
BioHorn
 
Posts: 528
Joined: May 2nd, '1
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio USA

Re: Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby deadlysight » Jul 4th, '13, 17:01

BioHorn wrote:Looks similar to the pots 5000friend was/is selling.
Hve always admired this design. Welcome!


Apparently, he only sells vintage, old and used teapots.

The one on his list is from Qing Dynasty! :-) I don't think that mine is.
deadlysight
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Jul 2nd, '1

Re: Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby Drax » Jul 4th, '13, 20:17

deadlysight wrote:
BioHorn wrote:Looks similar to the pots 5000friend was/is selling.
Hve always admired this design. Welcome!


Apparently, he only sells vintage, old and used teapots.

The one on his list is from Qing Dynasty! :-) I don't think that mine is.


That's okay, his pots probably aren't really, either... :wink:
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2556
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Authenticity of this Zhuni Chrysanthemum Teapot

Postby chrl42 » Aug 6th, '13, 03:40

Qing dynasty had those shapes of pot for exportation, many didn't have seals or caligraphy since foreigners can't read chinese letters.

But looking at the inside pattern of lid, it's obviously mould-making, which I understand as imitation.


This kind is called qin-wen,today 90% of qin-wen style yixings come from moulds. But Qing dynasty they hand-made these pots, which they first hand-make the body and the lid (normal tapping method), then they carve those lines on outer pot so inner lines aren't certain, but masters who draw inner lines for aesthetic reasons, correct me if wrong.
User avatar
chrl42
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Mar 22nd, '
Location: Beijing


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation